VA

I've recieved some pretty funny comments.  "That vidya game crap", etc..    In my town, you are either a "DJ", or you are in some crappy hard rock band, a bar band (covers), or folk/bluegrass band.  Mostly it has to do with electronic music in general, which people say is not "real".  I usually see this kind of mentality in mindless Maynard fans who think Tool is the only real band to have ever existed.  I also see this from folk/bluegrass musicians (HAHAHA) who look down on anything written later than the 50s.  Jamband lovin' hippies are soetimes guilty too, even though they might love dubstep.  Nothing against Tool, folk music, or jambands but ug...the fans.

Anyway, I can't blame people for not immediately acknowledging the awesomeness of chip.  Most ordinary people don't actually give a shit about music, period.  They're just not that interested, and they don't define their entire personality by what music they listen to.  They're perfectly happy passively listening to the radio while they...work, have fun, get laid, and drink light lager. 

They remember the chip sounds from the old video games.  Chip music is usually made with old video game consoles.  Video game.  Pixel art.  "8-bit".  Crappy hardcore LSDJ.  happy hardcore was played at raves.  Mario is in video games.  Mario rave.  Can you really blame them?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
calmdownkidder wrote:

"sounds like mario at a rave party"

End of story

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
George wrote:

Girls have it easier.
Just last week : "Wait. You're studying assembly, drink whiskey and help organize Toy Company?! I know a lot of guys who'd be into you."
Me stares. Guy blushes.

must be rough having a vagina

uhajdafdfdfa

no one has ever said anything nasty. someone said "do you like it for the novelty value" and someone else said "i don't like chiptune"

Last edited by yar.songs (Nov 2, 2023 12:30 pm)

Canada

Exactly.
I grew up playing several instruments and am now majoring in music at university. The difficulty/technical aspect of creating chipmusic is a HUGE attraction for me. Just like how I'm constantly looking for faster/more difficult metal to play on guitar, chipmusic is a very similar venture.
My friends don't get that-_-

i love when people think I'm using actual games.lol   I switched my nanoloop cart housing for a tetris one for that occasion.

me;;i made this with my Tetris 3.0   ( ;    *shows it*

guys thoughts:: WOw!! this guy somehow reprogrammed tetris to sound like (some shitty pop-metal band)

I think my favorite moments are when nothing was said at all,  and seemingly out of place people just go apeshit!

Liverpool, UK
low-gain wrote:
calmdownkidder wrote:

"sounds like mario at a rave party"

End of story

That doesn't sound like something I'd say...

Brazil

"that shitty 8bit music you play"

Wilmington,NC

Just last night.
Guys in front (waiting for Hawthorne Heights by the way):
"What the hell, a nintendo ds and game boy?" Rolls eyes.
Same guys, 2 songs later:
"OMG, I LOVE THIS!! I WANT A GAMEBOY"

yeah...

Melbourne, Australia
e.s.c. wrote:

"have you ever thought about using world of warcraft in your music?"
actually, im sure ive had worse than that

Dude that was fucking hilarious

Cambridge UK
low-gain wrote:
George wrote:

Girls have it easier.
Just last week : "Wait. You're studying assembly, drink whiskey and help organize Toy Company?! I know a lot of guys who'd be into you."
Me stares. Guy blushes.

must be rough having a vagina

At least no one ever stickered my va-jay-jay.
Srsly, vaginas rule.
Oh, and chiptunes.

hardcore, Australia

When describing my setup in "dj warehouse"
guy "dude have you tried using anything from this century?"
me  "oh you mean like a turntable? those are heaps new"

Westfield, NJ
godinpants wrote:

When describing my setup in "dj warehouse"
guy "dude have you tried using anything from this century?"
me  "oh you mean like a turntable? those are heaps new"

LOL!

wait nevermind.

Last edited by Andrew Winzenburg (Feb 8, 2011 11:12 pm)

Florida
jmr wrote:

"chiptune or fakebit or whatever it's being called now is such a goony genre. what is the appeal?

Emphasis on the word 'goony'... he's most likely a poster at Something Awful.

Mostly because I'm pretty sure I've encountered this guy there before. The entire post sounds eerily similar to a rant someone posted in my thread... without even listening to the music.