nickmaynard wrote:

if you're the local band with the biggest draw on a show with no touring bands, then you should get something. if you're a local band on a show with smaller touring bands that don't have very big draws, then you should NOT get paid anything and all the money should go to the touring band. if you're a local band on a show with a really big touring band that has a really big draw, then you should get something.

So if you're the touring band that comes in, you'll get the exposure by playing with the band with the big draw...AND the $$$? I think it should be like 60/40 with the 60 being the touring band. Otherwise, the local band with the big draw has no reason to play out other than to entertain the fans they already have so there's no real progression for them.

Last edited by an0va (Feb 9, 2011 7:19 pm)

Brooklyn NY US

I hesitate to say "should not get paid anything" for locals supporting touring acts, since that kind of thing is always subjective etc., but I agree that on principle it's often seen as customary that giving extra support to the touring act is just a cool thing to do. When I've organized shows, if there's money to go around, I try to ensure that the lion's share goes to out-of-towners; but I also try to make sure everyone involved gets something.

rochester, ny
Bit Shifter wrote:

I hesitate to say "should not get paid anything" for locals supporting touring acts, since that kind of thing is always subjective etc., but I agree that on principle it's often seen as customary that giving extra support to the touring act is just a cool thing to do. When I've organized shows, if there's money to go around, I try to ensure that the lion's share goes to out-of-towners; but I also try to make sure everyone involved gets something.

i think it depends a lot on how big of a show we're talking about. if there's enough money to go around, then i totally agree with you. but if it's a house show that makes 50 bucks, then i'm giving it all to the touring band.

rochester, ny
an0va wrote:

So if you're the touring band that comes in, you'll get the exposure by playing with the band with the big draw...AND the $$$? I think it should be like 60/40 with the 60 being the touring band. Otherwise, the local band with the big draw has no reason to play out other than to entertain the fans they already have so there's no progression for them.

i understand the logic to what you're saying, but in my experience of setting up shows that hasn't been the case. but i think it depends on what we mean by "local band with a big draw". there's a big difference between a local band that can draw 50 people and a local band that can draw 250 people. with the show's i've done, i've dealt with more of the former. if we're talking about the latter, then i think your point is totally valid.

Brazil

I think if there is enough money to pay for the trip of out towners, then pay the trip and the profit you split to everyone.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Feb 9, 2011 6:39 pm)

buffalo, NY
nickmaynard wrote:
an0va wrote:

So if you're the touring band that comes in, you'll get the exposure by playing with the band with the big draw...AND the $$$? I think it should be like 60/40 with the 60 being the touring band. Otherwise, the local band with the big draw has no reason to play out other than to entertain the fans they already have so there's no progression for them.

i understand the logic to what you're saying, but in my experience of setting up shows that hasn't been the case. but i think it depends on what we mean by "local band with a big draw". there's a big difference between a local band that can draw 50 people and a local band that can draw 250 people. with the show's i've done, i've dealt with more of the former. if we're talking about the latter, then i think your point is totally valid.

I ran into this a bit with my primary band.  We started drawing very well locally, and every promoter in town wanted us to bring in a crowd for whatever random touring act they were trying to bring in.  We actually stopped doing shows like that because they were taking advantage of us. 

We have absolutely no problem throwing the lions share to a touring act, but nowadays we're very specific about who we play with, and its almost always bands we're friends with.  Just another incentive to make friends I guess big_smile

Last edited by danimal cannon (Feb 9, 2011 6:55 pm)

nickmaynard wrote:
an0va wrote:

This is true. I guess we'd have to operationally define "big draw!"

Los Angeles, CA

I've only been paid twice. One of those times was when I covered for a sickly Wizwars. I guess I got a cut from all the people that said they were coming to see him at the door, which is kinda shitty haha. Oh well, the booking guy was wise enough to get another chiptune fill so none of them were epic disappointed I don't think. Wizzy if you're reading this, I owe you a beer or somethin'.

Oh and get merch. If they like you, they will give you monies.

Los Angeles, CA

I've never been paid for a show that I've played in Los Angeles. My money comes from selling merch.
I've played a bunch of shows in Phoenix and I think I've been paid for every one of them. Usually around $50, though one night I was one of the top billed acts and I got around $80 (not bad considering the money was split between eight artists / bands or so), plus an extra $50 or so from selling CDs. I also played a show there where I was a headliner and the guy running the venue gave me the majority of the door money (which wasn't much due to low turnout) and went to give one of the other bands a small percentage, but they told him to give it to me since I was from out of town, which I thought was awesome.

I don't mind not getting paid by venues if my travel costs are low or non existent, if I have a good time, and if I sell merch.

And Mike, I'll definitely take you up on that beer sometime, haha.