Montreal, Canada

Cool theme this week. Might try to enter this time.

Last edited by Velathnos (Apr 9, 2011 11:14 pm)

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I've been working on something for the Controllerthrow competition.  I hope you guys think it fits the theme for this week.  I'll throw it up there later regardless just to get more entries.  Plus...it's pretty slick. 

Also

Once this competition gets larger with more consistent participation (I have faith it will eventually) maybe we should start thinking about voting criteria.  I know it's not really important now, nor will it be for a while, but what are your thoughts on this? I have a feeling that eventually people will start getting votes just because it's the song someone likes the best even if it has nothing to do with the theme, which I would love to avoid.  I don't mean setting the page up differently to require specific votes for each category (I don't think you can do that anyway).  I mean possibly adding more to the description of the event with info for people to keep in mind while voting such as:

- Follows the theme 1-5
- Uniqueness 1-5
- Production 1-5
blah blah blah

There's no way to MAKE people follow some system like this but it may promote a more focused voting process.  Once again...I don't think it is at all necessary now.  What do you guys think?

I see what you're saying! Sort of like the botb voting system. I would love to do something like that in the future, but I have no idea how we would implement it.

I think it's a good idea to mention those kinds of things and at least try to urge people to think along those lines smile. It is a theme based competition after all. It's hard to say how you'd judge 'production' when you can have something that's just straight recorded from a gameboy/famitracker ect. versus something that has post processing on it or uses a DAW. Perhaps we can leave it to the description of the song by the artist to tell what they used briefly to make the tune and judge production from there? I'm not trying to start a "Fake bit/post processing" V.S "purist chiptune" debate here as it's been done so many times, Nor am I demanding that it be mandatory that artists tell us what they used and how. Just that getting the most out of a tracker in it's raw form VS (mastering) a track with more modern effects to give it more punch are two different types of skill from my point of view. I'm sure everyone has different views on that type of thing. I do think that in general the more we know about the process of the creation of a track might be as important as the end result when judging it's production. I think it would be beneficial for those who care about those details so that they can more accurately rate production accordingly. Urging musicians to think along these lines when voting, as well as share with us what they used to create it could really prove to be a great thing in the future if  it is done well.  Again, like 8 Bit Rex I think these things may not be as important until this compo grows a bit, but I like where this train of thought is going very much smile.

Last edited by Jredd (Apr 11, 2011 9:26 am)

Rhode Island

In previous compos I have entered (non chip related) voters were required to fill out a little form much like 8-bit-Rex had suggested on each track to justify their choice. It may drive people away from voting but in the end you would have a stronger core group that truly assessed each song. Plus everyone would get feed back and realize why their track did well/poor. Just a thought smile

Cool, six of them! Everybody's is so different too! Did anyone else get 2 thumb votes to be able to give out? That's pretty rad, I've made my decisions! Nice work everyone, I hope this compo continues to grow. I'm really excited to see this much interest!

Winter Haven, FL

I wonder if the "thumb" count will get larger if the number or participants grows as well? Or, maybe there is a cap of sorts... HOPEFULLY we'll find out in the future. This was pretty damn fun. I'll participate again. GET ABSURD WITH THE THEMES!!!

Holy shit! You guys really impressed me this week! smile great work everyone, it really warms my heart to see people submitting to this.

Rhode Island

Just a fantastic theme this week Arlen. The more descriptive the better. More like these please :-D I'll do my part trying to think up some ideas. Perhaps we could involve some of the pixel artists? Have them create a picture from a make believe game and we come up with a tube for it?

Chepachet, Rhode Island
2PLAYER wrote:

Just a fantastic theme this week Arlen. The more descriptive the better. More like these please :-D I'll do my part trying to think up some ideas. Perhaps we could involve some of the pixel artists? Have them create a picture from a make believe game and we come up with a tube for it?

This

I don't know how we'd incorporate pixel artists. I'll definitely keep doing the descriptive themes. You can thank Jredd for the last one wink

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I wonder if one can put an image in the theme section of the competition.  If not I'm sure just putting one in this thread would work fine.

8-Bit-Rex wrote:
2PLAYER wrote:

This

Dude! That's an awesome idea! After all as they say a picture is worth 1,000 words. smile

I might be participating in this soon, it is relevant to my interests.

Part of the fun of this compo is the fact that we don't know what theme may be coming up next smile. Everyone has a preferred style of music writing I'm sure. Some themes will come more naturally to us than others, but if you stretch yourself a little it just might be that you can write in a style you didn't know you had in you big_smile. For me, that's really the great thing about this. Even if I don't "win", I still gain valuable experience as a composer and I get to observe the outcome of other artists as well. Even in the short time I have participated in these, there have been numerous times where I have listened to someone else take on a theme and though "I wouldn't have thought of that, but that's awesome!" Basically, if it's relevant to your interests to branch out as a composer and become more versatile then by all means don't pass this up. The themes are fun and interesting, the people are friendly and talented, and everyone is happy to see another participant no matter what level of experience you may be at. If you want to improve as a musician, than this is one of the best ways to do so that I have seen in a good long while. I hope you do join at some point Frostbyte, the more people the better smile.

That was probably one of the nicest messages I have ever gotten! Haha, now I'm totally up for this big_smile Can't wait for the next theme to come up, I'm gonna do it, absolutely.