Westfield, NJ
MisfitChris wrote:

Edit: Go about this process like you're going to die tommorow.

The only problem with this advice is that people might think they have to rush the process. Don't rush it. Don't ever rush it. Accept the fact that it can take years to build up a real following. You have to play lots of shows and make lots of great songs before people will really love you.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Also...be honest with yourself.  Don't tell yourself "Yeah cool this song is done" when you know there are some bits that need reworking.  Be modest with regard to your own musical talent.  It's easy to come off as really arrogant with regard to music as there are many out there that would love to be talented musically but think they can't or don't have the motivation, so try not to come off as an asshole.  From personal experience from the opposite end (I haven't played a chipmusic show BUT I have played metal shows) be extravagant as hell...and I don't mean shout: "OH SHIT LOOK AT ME I'M THE TITS!", I mean get really into it, dance, tell your audience to do things like stand up or stomp.  Possibly get a small gimmick somewhere in there...just so the audience can AT LEAST walk away from the concert thinking there was one thing to did that was clever/cool/the cat's pajamas.  Get all those bitches some free shit, bitches love free shit.  Jump on the opportunity if you meet ANYONE that seems interested in your music...don't treat them like an afterthought.  Meet people on a personal level rather than a "I want more people to show up to my gig" level.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am)

Pretty much all small artists that start off nowhere just work a TON...and never give up no matter how much money/comfort/time they must sacrifice to pursue their passion.  Eventually, if you're actually talented, you'll make your way up there and start to actually make money off your music.  It's a hard, long process--but can be done with time, effort, and talent.