Whitley Bay, England

Yeah, exactly. By having some guidelines, it was really helpful in learning synthesis yourself (goddamn wave channel and it being weird! I still sort of suck at it for anything but bass).

I found LSDJ really intuitive though. The only other music software I'd ever used was Cubase, which I hated with a passion. LSDJ, to me, is pretty much perfect.
I love the look of Nanoloop, but the iOS version is just weird. I think I'm more of a tracker man.

Chepachet, Rhode Island
BetaSynapse wrote:

I actually miss the patch book because I would see a clever way to get a sound, then mutate and apply that technique to everything else to create totally new sounds. But yeah, LSDJ is a lot of experimentation really.

I'd be all about it now that I've reached more of a plateau in my learnin'.
....and It would be awesome to get one up again (possibly on the slowly expanding Chipapedia)

...hell I'd even spearhead that shit.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm)

I fiddled.

San Antonio, Texas

Glanced once at the Sabrepulse tutorial, never read the manual until I found it online somewhere 2 years later, learned how to make a pulse kick from some dude online, got some ideas from the LSDJ patchbook. LSDJ is still surprising me as to what it can do.

Last edited by Star Fighter Dreams (Mar 10, 2011 4:05 pm)

Unsubscribe

My parents where killed by ninjas, so I tried to learn to fight from an old asian janitor. He molested me and only gave me a old gameboy to play so i had no choice.

California

everything that has been said here pretty much. just remember it takes serious TIME. after a while you will feel more comfortable. Just dont give up. Maybe eventually you can graduate to different tracker software like famitracker or milkytracker smile

Auckland, New Zealand

Cheers guys! The time zones have allowed me to post this, go to bed, wake up and there be 6,000,000 posts to read! tongue

Yeah I feel as though I 'know' how to use it.... Just wanted to know how you guys did it, maybe work off that.

Keep it coming!

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

manual and tutorials got me started.
but i really started to get the hang of it by using it.
i got some sheet music and tried to transcribe it
into LSDj. it took me a while to get the timing
right and everything. but it was a great learning experiance.
i keep meaning to up the save on lsdsng, thanx
for reminding me!

sweden
akira^8GB wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

wasnt very intuitive for me at all, unlike nanoloop

Nanoloop is the most unintuitive music tool ever. LSDJ uses a standard music making interface (tracker interface).
I used trackers for years so LSDJ was cake. I only had to learn how to use the GB's synthesis. That was done reading the manual then trial'n'error'ing.

Good ol nanoloop bashing! big_smile Never understood why a simple 16-step based sequencer gets so much hate.

Personally I wouldn't call lsdj a conventional tracker, but ye its still a tracker and you know what I mean anyway.

Trial and error + manual was also how I did it.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

LOTS of practice. Manual for reference. Hear things from others and try to figure out how they did it; try to improve my sound design by a lot of experimentation and patience.

Is like any instrument will work.

Wellington, New Zealand

I just used my knowledge from other trackers and got the controls for navigation for lsdj off the internet

Nashville, Tennessee

practice + 420 = a lot of time spent

Minneapolis

Well, I never did learn LSDJ. I tried for days to get it to make something resembling a tune, and gave up after a while. I had better luck with NTRQ on the IIgs, but not much. hmm

Wellington, New Zealand

trial and error + the manual.
practise +  Dove/Futurnari for prompts/tips

Sydney AUS

http://lsdsng.com/
There's a good chance someone else is better than you, and you can learn from them.

Palmdale, CA

I gave up :}