Tokyo, Japan

Tokyo is fucking weird at the moment, not bad, just weird. I live smack bang in the center of Tokyo near the giant crossing for reference. Most things seem to be running as normal in the city, you can rent movies, go to restaurants, hit arcades and my wife's studio is tattooing as normal. The major differences I notice at the moment are

- Vastly (volunteer?) reduced silly consumption of electricity so many usually bright areas are very dark. The electric company posted schedules of rolling blackouts which seem to only have partly taken effect.

- Stores are very low on dry goods, bread, rice, bentos and things. I think that is probably a combination of some food being relocated to fukushima, deliveries over the weekend being disrupted and people panic buying.

- Trains are a bit erratic, Tokyo currently has a public transport system which could be a bit jealous of London's,

- A lot of aftershocks, lost count since friday.

- Very tense, uncertain outlook about the future of the plant, a lot of the expat community seems to be panic evacuating.

My personal (highly unqualified) opinion on things is thus:

1 - The last 4 or 5 days of media coverage are going to be taught in classes on why vast amounts of media time + yellow journalism of the worst kind + social media - any form of sensible filtering in country with a fabulous infrastructure where everyone has a 4g cellphone is an extremely volatile mix, tailor made to generate lots of hysteria and very little useful information.

It pretty much leads to people making decisions on out of date / unqualified / unverified / erroneous data which is never a good thing.

2 - The very best information that I can find indicated that even in a worst case scenario (utter catastrophe at plant + highly unusual weather conditions) the chances of a significant effect to people's health in Tokyo are vanishingly small assuming people in Tokyo aren't utter fuckwits.

3 - The longer the situation at the plant continues without a huge catastrophe, the lesser the effects of the catastrophe.

So while I wouldn't exactly say things are peaches and cream, the situation looks a lot brighter than it did a couple of days ago.

Also for anyone who is interested, by far and a way the most fact checked, concise and useful source of information I have found is on the Something Awful forums. If you don't know what SA is, tread carefully and treat it as NSFW

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth … id=3396817

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Mar 16, 2011 2:26 pm)

L-tron is officially out of the country as of about 30 minutes ago. He's planning on coming back when things coold down a bit though. Thanks Lazerbeat for the posts. I feel mostly the same way as you, but it's hard to not be little freaked out when everyone you know from back home is spazzing hard (aka keeping an eye out for us, but only watching the American news which probably told everyone that 20 power plants blew up and godzilla is coming in fast from Korea or some equal garbage). Thanks man, because its calming to hear some positive amongst all the negative.

A gray world of dread

My main problem is with the information policy of TEPCO, because what they're telling doesn't really match up with what is happening. Reactor 4-6 where said to be safe and under control with no trouble for days, then suddenly out of nowhere reactor 4 is burning for 'unknown reasons'. Stuff like that doesn't really help to reduce panic, no wonder the media is in a frenzy and people are getting paranoid.

Strange days when SA provides one of the few unbiased, calm news sources.

London, UK
Lazerbeat wrote:

<snip v interesting post>

One of the most clear-eyed and interesting accounts of what's going on at ground level in Tokyo right now. Thanks David.

Tokyo, Japan

heart

New York City

Thanks for that, David. It puts rest to my worries about all of you over there.

Liverpool, UK
Lazerbeat wrote:

yellow journalism

There's no need for racism, not at a time like this.

Unsubscribe

http://truechiptilldeath.com/japan/

V1 of the comp is OUT

still looking for tracks!!!

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

my heart goes out to all of japan!
be safe, and rebuild!

sa forums? that just seems ridiculous!