Dublin, Ireland

Ah, thanks O2star. Should of refreshed before I posted that.

So, do you think my Portman PC/S  will work out here?

And yes... open source... the new-found possibilities!!

Planet Zaxxon

yes the portman should work fine... i was testing it with the portman parallel device.. serial should be the same deal...

Planet Zaxxon
iNFOTOXIN wrote:

I know practically nothing about these things but the MPU-401 seems to be a bit of a complicated issue, it appears to be included as a gameport, actually build on to some opl3 cards, which would indicate that it won't be on a lot of laptops (I assume). Also it seems to of been it's own interface card/box and a lot of variants and compatible products were about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPU-401

And a quick search through a Libretto maintenance manual turned up this:

Libretto 50-70 Maint Manual wrote:

Sound Controller The Libretto 50CT uses one OPL3-SA2 that incorporates: OPL3 FM synthesizer,
Digital Analog Converter (DAC), and MPU401 MIDI interface.
∗The Libretto 70CT uses one OPL3-SA3 that incorporates: OPL3 FM synthesizer, Digital Analog Converter (DAC), and MPU401 MIDI interface.

Wondering how that works exactly, considering the Libretto port replicator lacks the 15-pin gameport... hmm

well i believe in the laptops.. it just emulates the mpu-401. I dont see it having a legit mpu-401 inside... but I guess I could be wrong.. heh

Dublin, Ireland

I kinda figured as much, but I'm just hoping that won't cause any problems.

Of course it's all moot unless I actually get adlib working at some point. big_smile

Planet Zaxxon

SO GET GOING AND CHERISH THE ADLIB POWERS THAT BE.