That's true, from the hardware side, the only difference is the pullup/down resistors and the headers. In the dev package, I'm also including AVR and JTAG programmers. So if you already have those, and you know which end of the soldering iron is hot smile , I suggest going for the regular Chip Maestro. However if you want the complete package, I'd suggest going for the dev kit.

Minneapolis

Heh, I have a JTAG and an AVR is easy to get. And I definitely know what end of a soldering iron is hot. Feel free to check out some of my work if you like NES modding/dev. smile Thanks!

Awesome, when you pledge, I'll send over tech docs to every backer by the end of the week, so you can start making feature requests and recommendations.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
jarek wrote:
low-gain wrote:

you might try obtaining a copy of MidiNES to understand just how powerful the cart is.. it will give you an idea of where the bar has been set.
It's super powerful and you'd have to have those features and more to get me to buy.. and if you matched midines 100% i'd say it's easily worth more than $100-150 so long as you made stock and sold from stock and delivered in a quick and timely manner.

but first things first.. invest in a MidiNES cart to see what it's capable of.

I received a MIDINes when I started developing the Chip Maestro in a trade for a prototype version, and have been using it as a benchmark ever since. For accurate, low latency MIDI to NES note synthesizing, the Chip Maestro matches MIDINes on Video Off mode.

My primary goals were to make it:
1. Fast
2. Reliable
3. Inexpensive

Matching the MIDINes would require matching the price, and that conflicted with my top three priorities. However, if you feel that you would prefer to have the more advanced features at the expense of speed and reliability, consider pledging and receiving a dev kit, so that you can customize the Chip Maestro to your needs.

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill here... but i believe it's been stated already...
MIdiNES is not just 5 channel wave playback... It's more then that. And if you think just 4 simple waveforms is all midines is..
you need to go back and start playing w/ CC messages. as Peter stated there's a lot more to midines than pulse 1/2, tri and noise playback.

So far your video tells me it will do a poly mode much like MGB does with arduinoboy.. that's cool. but you need to get the multi channel mode up to par w/ midines before you start labeling it "MidiNES for $50" .

Believe me when i say this.. i support what you're doing 100% and want to see you succeed as midiNES isn't easily available anymore.
If people want to send you money for your time and efforts for programming and making this happen fantastic. But i just wouldn't be calling it the $50 midines quite yet.

You're right, I am looking at all the MIDI messages handled by the MIDInes and writing more and more features each day (see page one). The more feedback I get from users like you, the more things I can program in before it is finally finished. So if you have any concrete features you would like to see (make MIDI CC message xx-xx do yy), either let me know here, or pledge to see the project get finished and suggest features when I finish writing up the tech docs.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

› Midines 1.1.0 Manual

› MIDI virgins

› Overview

› Installation

› Using MIDINES 1.1.0

› FAQ

nitro2k01 edit: This is exactly the kind of thing the spoiler tags are for!

Melbtown, Lolstralia

@Low-Gain surely a link (even quoting peters link to the same thing) would suffice?

From my understanding the subject of the topic as "MIDI-NES for $50" was not written by the designer and he has already stated his aim is not to match MIDI-NES 100% but to make an affordable alternative that may not have all the features to keep the price down

East Kilbride, Scotland
Dot.AY wrote:

@Low-Gain surely a link (even quoting peters link to the same thing) would suffice?

From my understanding the subject of the topic as "MIDI-NES for $50" was not written by the designer and he has already stated his aim is not to match MIDI-NES 100% but to make an affordable alternative that may not have all the features to keep the price down

Yeah, the topic name was my fault. I have now changed it to $50 NES MIDI Cartridge, which I think better reflects the product.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

nitro2k01 edit: This is exactly the kind of thing the spoiler tags are for!

never heard of those before. sorry

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Dot.AY wrote:

he wanted specific so i gave him specific. it had all the CC stuff listed. and explained how midiNES worked. He asked me to be specific which i thought was linked to before being specific. So i just quoted
the manual in case he missed that part.

didn't think it was that big of a deal. damn.

Last edited by low-gain (May 10, 2011 11:16 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
arfink wrote:

...And I definitely know what end of a soldering iron is hot.

This made me chuckle. big_smile

PDX

Find a way to make it support vibrato with mod wheel and I would pay $150 for it... I would think the market is already niche enough that it would be hard to separate "people that want a unit on par with or more powerful than MIDINes" and those that want a "simple, downgraded unit for less money" - trying to create vibrato with MIDINes is its Achilles heel - using CC08 and drawing lines is a complete nightmare... Anyone that actually plays keyboard will want the vibrato assigned to the mod wheel... the two keys thing from how you described it would be unnatural descending with the right hand

Last edited by RushCoil (May 13, 2011 1:19 am)

Rhode Island
RushCoil wrote:

- using CC08 and drawing lines is a complete nightmare...

Create an LFO?

Though I do run into issues with the LFO chopping the note up rather than bending it when I have a lot of other commands going through.

Unsubscribe

yea midines totally chokes on phat lfos... thats why it would probably be nicer to just add a nice midispec to something like NTRQ so you can use tables on the cartridge for those HEAVY CHIP MODULATIONS.

/me stares at batsly and neil uncomfortably.