Hm. My Pulses are usually a fair volume (A-B), but I also make my Wav instruments loud as all hell in the synth screen. I've done a little bit of post-EQ and limiting to bump it up a bit, and sometimes a slight touch of reverb, but I've never multitracked with the gameboy yet. I will eventually, but I've heard some releases (Ralp in particular) that had no production outside of a prosound mod, and those tracks still sound crushing. It's all about your ear IMO.

Chicago IL

weird, i usually have my PU's at AX. Never had a problem with the WAV channel. i guess cause i just use it for triangle bass, kicks, and snares instead of all that mrow mrow stuff

Tokyo, Japan
akira^8GB wrote:

In any case it's good to exercise by lowering levels and adding DYNAMICS to instruments. Dynamics are probably the single most missing and underestimated feature in most cheapchoon tracks that come out nowadays.

Which can be done quite easy on hi-hats using automate and a table full of random E commands
(thanks to minikomi for this tip!):

E51
E61
E41
H00

Moncton, Canada

snares in WAV channel? wat

Tokyo, Japan
Kommisar wrote:

snares in WAV channel? wat

I often double up a snare in the noise channel with 2 snares from 2 kits in the wav channel. Gives a nice thick sound. wink

New York City

Snares (not samples) in WAV channel are awesome, I made one in my track for this: http://calmdownkidder.com/records/releases/cdk029

Whitley Bay, England

I've finally knuckled down to some recording properly (rather than just straight out my DMG).
Add some EQ (make it a little less dull and muddy), add some compression to make the bass stand out nicely, add a touch of reverb (more if I'm using it with more conventional instruments + vocals, I find it sits a bit nicer), viola.

I'd always thought it'd be a bitch to line up the separate tracks having recorded each channel separately - however, I do some stuff with LSDJ synced to my Atari ST, so I had to record each of those separately and match them up. Worked perfectly! I may try it one day. Pretty happy with how this is sounding without that though.