Milan, Italy

I usually do not listen to chiptune.

Last edited by arottenbit (Jan 21, 2010 2:21 pm)

I have never finished a song but loads upon loads of "tests".

does that count?

New York City
µB wrote:

While it's true that this sentiment results in a lot of low-level work, that's just what everyone starts out with.

That's not particularly my problem, I think that is brilliant.
But there's no chase for self improvement because any crap gets "hyped" by "peers".
I only released any music made with a game boy in 2006, that was 4 years after i started using it.

Newcastle, UK

I think its true of any scene really.
A few years ago, when all the scene kids were listening to Bring Me The Horizon and stuff like that, you couldn't move for bands trying to copy that sound. At least, where I'm from anyway...

New York City
Shonen_ wrote:

I think its true of any scene really.

I sadly think so too, it's a generation thing.
"Kids" nowadays want the formula to success, and that's all. There's no other pursuit.
This was pretty obvious in my experience teaching. They just wanted you to give them the formula to apply to the problem and that would result in success. There's this idea that "having the same gear/software as succesful guy means I can be as succesful", the widespread of technology has probably generated this. It's quite sad hmm

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 21, 2010 3:28 pm)

Melbourne, Australia
arlen wrote:

I know a few people who only listen to it.

G-Zom for sure only listens to chip-music.

Oh, and triangle waves are hella bangin'.

I agree with this entire post.

Especially the triangle waves part.

I've had people complain that I hang out in the IRC and Ventrilo but don't upload music, too.

Cambridge UK
G-Zom wrote:
arlen wrote:

I know a few people who only listen to it.

G-Zom for sure only listens to chip-music.

Oh, and triangle waves are hella bangin'.

I agree with this entire post.

Especially the triangle waves part.

I've had people complain that I hang out in the IRC and Ventrilo but don't upload music, too.

That's ridiculous, IMHO : "pure listeners" should be considered active members of this community, they take time to listen to the musician's tracks, their comments are less likely to be tainted by "politics" (trying to befriend the big fish, etc...)

In literature, "pure readers" that voice their opinions are well respected and sought after.

That being said, I feel ChipMusic.org is pretty receptive and open-minded.

São Paulo, Brazil
George wrote:

That's ridiculous, IMHO : "pure listeners" should be considered active members of this community, they take time to listen to the musician's tracks, their comments are less likely to be tainted by "politics" (trying to befriend the big fish, etc...)

In literature, "pure readers" that voice their opinions are well respected and sought after.

That being said, I feel ChipMusic.org is pretty receptive and open-minded.

completelly agree with that.

Most of my friends don't really care enough about music to even discern what it is they're listening to. hmm

But I have a few friends who LOVE it and come to every show and town and really push me forward in my own music making.

It's no coincidence that they are some of my coolest, funniest, and most interesting friends.

San Luis Obispo, CA

I'm a listener and an admirer. I think the chip music community is one of the strongest out there. I've met some really awesome folks just by being a fan of what they do. I do hope someday to learn the ways of the chip, as far as composition goes.

Corpus Christi, Texas
ant1 wrote:

I think 8bc (and possibly this forum too) tend to give off the impression of being a place for artists only - I once got flamed (at 8bc) for not having any tracks uploaded, hehe. There are surely a lot of people who do enjoy just listening to chiptunes, but they don't come to the forums as much because they have no desire to talk about "waves and hats and all that technical jargon".

That is exactly how I felt but this forum is giving off good vibes. I never really dipped my feet into threads because I felt awkward not having any knowledge on how to even make the music. As though 'waves' wasn't enough to indicate that. ;D

akira^8GB wrote:

I find it pointless that most everyone that listens wants to make it, specially considering the generally low output of that.

That irks the hell out of me. It is so hard to sift through music to find decent tracks. I mean, it is all well and good if you want to make music and get feedback but alot of these kids with gameboys don't even seem to have pride. They slop something together without even caring if it is even halfway tolerable. When I feel it is time to find new artists I pretty much have to mentally pull up my britches to get ready for a long and mostly fruitless night.

Sydney, Australia

I've been a fan for around a year or so, at the time I was doing Pixel Art.
A couple months ago I started to play around with FL9.
Today I've just started to play around with LSDJ (thanks to Sabrepulse's guide. Cheers.) and it's alot of fun. I picked it up very quickly.

It's grown on me.

Sheffield, UK

I play about with lsdj but its not what i play live, really enjoy listening to chiptune and lofi stuff though, something about the whole micromusic thing that pulls me in smile
i agree with what people are saying about this forum compared to 8bc, i was always put off from posting on 8bc because of the way people acted, im not one for negative confrontation.
horah for chipmusic.org.

London

I've been a listener for about 5 or 6 years, writing music for about 4, only recently (past couple weeks) started writing chiptune; partly because the limitations really push me as a musician and force me to think elsewhere without falling into the holes of my usual compositional style.

Personally I write music as a tribute to the games I like, I still am and will always be an admirer. Whever I make the music or not doesn't really make much difference.

killadelphia

its good that ppl listen to musix that ppl makes.  ; ]

Melbourne, Australia

I get really pissed off whenever I see comments like 'You don't make music so you don't have the right to an opinion/be a part of the scene'
It is such an immature and frankly stupid attitude and it saddens me that I see it so often (especially around a certain site that will remain unnamed)

Also, more on topic, I am REALLY glad that despite this there are a bunch of people who not only enjoy the music but try to actively partake in the scene.