matt's mind
akira^8GB wrote:
kitsch wrote:

just out of simple curiosity...

why quotes: "america"

?

Perhaps this is one of the few occurrences on teh internetz where an united states citizen recognizes the whole continent of America and does not refer to his country as that. tongue Or something else.

well, i was wondering...  its possible... 

i mean, i get saying something like... american "diplomacy", or american "justice"...  you know...   the quotes are facetious and serve a mocking function...

just struck me as sort of funny the way its quoted.  this thing, "america"...  the so-called ""

edit -- haha, if quotes are a mocking function, whatever that means, then "america" may just make total sense...

yeah, back to the point of this thread.  sorry for the derail.

Plagiarism is wrong sad

San Francisco :P

agreed ^^

hardcore, Australia
Monovfox wrote:

agreed ^^

Stop plagiarising his opinion.

matt's mind
kitsch wrote:

Plagiarism is wrong sad

what i've learned today

A gray world of dread
kitsch wrote:

[i mean, i get saying something like... american "diplomacy", or american "justice"...  you know...   the quotes are facetious and serve a mocking function...

just struck me as sort of funny the way its quoted.  this thing, "america"...  the so-called ""

The worst offenders are restaurants and bistros around where I live. They can never, ever figure out where quotation marks go.
The bistro around the corner of my workplace advertises "stew" every other week. Like hell I'm touching stew that's put in quotation marks! "Today" is another favorite. I guess because it's relative of the time-zone or planet or something?

Chicago IL
rez wrote:

please sent any insult about his sexual orientation here

and here i thought we were men of science.

New York City
µB wrote:

The worst offenders are restaurants and bistros around where I live. They can never, ever figure out where quotation marks go.
The bistro around the corner of my workplace advertises "stew" every other week. Like hell I'm touching stew that's put in quotation marks! "Today" is another favorite. I guess because it's relative of the time-zone or planet or something?

Sorry for thread derailing, but to me it is also a pet peeve the misuse of quotation marks as a tool to emphasize. It's totally wrong.  I sure as hell am not getting anywhere near close to a "steak" either xD

Unsubscribe

emphasis is "gay"

µB wrote:
kitsch wrote:

[i mean, i get saying something like... american "diplomacy", or american "justice"...  you know...   the quotes are facetious and serve a mocking function...

LOL I know

some dudes on a restaurant on the way to my workplace put up a sign that says "our chicken is REAL CHICKEN" to spite all the other places that say they got real good "chicken"

Brazil

A friend of mine, at facebook, writes always in quotations. Always.

"he writes like this"...

Darkness

Its not a misuse. It was to be used for mocking purposes.  I'm trying to refer to how general society in america sux with music tastes.

Last edited by Fraktal Face (Jun 29, 2011 3:23 am)

That's a really weird way to type tongue

Darkness

I'm weird. sue me.

Chicago IL

"sue" him

hardcore, Australia

"Fraktal Face"