Melbourne, Australia

The concept of being able to filter what Im saying so I can say the "good" stuff to my friends while keeping that stuff secret from people I work with is a big, big +1 IMHO

melbourne, australia

the more I play with it the cooler it seems

arg... I wanted an invite! Now I have to wait waahhhhh

Oh, cool. Another one of those things like Facebook that I'll be staying away from.

dosPrompt wrote:

The concept of being able to filter what Im saying so I can say the "good" stuff to my friends while keeping that stuff secret from people I work with is a big, big +1 IMHO

Absolutely. There are things I don't want my family to see that my friends post on my Facebook wall.

Two examples: For my birthday, my friend posted this on my wall: "Happy birthday, you vagina! big_smile". It was weird. And it was weirder that my mother saw that.

Also, my friend posted a link to an inappropriate Youtube video. Apparently Grandma saw it and was a little concerned with my internet habits.

I'm really into the whole Circle idea.

Riverside, CA

So how does the signing up process work? Invitation only?
(If so, could I get one? wink ds2369 AT gmail DOT com)

Canada

Google+ can't possibly be successful because the majority of people using social networking sites just want to add hundreds of people they don't know and bitch as ambiguously as possible like someone cares. Circles don't directly help the user do that so it will fail like all of their other social networking attempts. That said, I'll definitely be signing up.

Brazil
Rolf wrote:

Google+ can't possibly be successful because the majority of people using social networking sites just want to add hundreds of people they don't know and bitch as ambiguously as possible like someone cares. Circles don't directly help the user do that so it will fail like all of their other social networking attempts. That said, I'll definitely be signing up.

I think it's the oposite. The circles help directly the user. You can keep "secrets" from every circle. I woud be able to keep a circle to my family, friends, chip-friends, retrogamers-friends and work. And if they explain that right away, the chances are high.

Like I said to Pxls at twitter, this is just like google wave, but i think it's better.

USA

Small live shows via video hangout? I know this can be done another way, but this seems like less hassle.

New York City
dosPrompt wrote:

But you can do that with Facebook already. Does nobody use friend lists? It's exactly teh same as "circles", which is why I don't understand the whole fuzz about them.They still don't control what other people post on YOUR profile or about you. It was recently blogged by someone. If you post something I can view I can share it basically to everyone and make it public. It works just like Facebook.

I think the ownership of content uploaded would be the key to differentiate google+ from FB.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 1, 2011 3:46 pm)

Unsubscribe

ye but friends lists is SUPER confusing to set up. Better mousetrap.

Brazil

Yeah, on facebook is really obscure. I didn't know about it until a friend of mine made one. And it became super useless. The way they google is making it is the good thing.

Also, the Sparks function seems really nice if it works.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Jul 1, 2011 4:08 pm)

A gray world of dread

I have no problem using friend lists, although I agree that managing them has the worst possible interface (like any settings on Facebook. I suspect it was made by the same guy who did the Office 2010 config menus)

New York City

Obscure? I -never- had a problem with the friends lists. My content is all controlled and visible only to who I want.

Cambridge UK

You can disable sharing and comments on everything you post.

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:

Obscure? I -never- had a problem with the friends lists. My content is all controlled and visible only to who I want.

By obscure I mean I never heard of.