Taichung, Taiwan
kitsch wrote:

the screen looking off center is probably due to how the screen is seated in the white plastic guard surrounding it.  i've noticed this a lot...  there is enough wiggle room to push it to one side or another enough to notice.  next time you've got it opened, move the LCD a little bit and see if this helps.  a gentle nudge.

To add! With pretty much any backlit screen that requires you to cut out the left-side of the plastic guard, if you cut off too much and happen to hack off the plastic aligning pin/dowel as well, it can lead to the screen being mounted at a bit of an angle. If you cut the plastic and leave the aligning pin/dowel, it should center up pretty well.

Los Angeles
m00dawg wrote:

I might just leave it alone until I'm brave enough to try an LED backlight mod on this thing. Since the mod does not appear to have been the cause of my audio problems on my other GB, it's probably a safe bet and would be a welcome addition for sure!

If I were you I'd just go get a cheap original DMG and steal it's main board. The noise your talking about reminds me of any gb color's processor. You might just have a bad DMG... And they are so cheap it just seems like the easiest fix. Also is the main CPU a play it loud model with the blob for the cpu?

Texas

They are both DMG-CPU-06's with the same LCD board revision (I forget which - I think 06 as well?). Some of the noise comes from the 06's mainboard and, in fact, I tried mixing and matching at one point which helped some. A huge majority of the noise is on the LCD board though, even if I connect it to my good GameBoy's mainboard. My wild guess is that Q1 (that's a regulator right?) might be to blame.

I haven't looked at the CPUs though so I'll have to take a peak next time I have them open. Agreed, a new GB is probably a good option although it's a bit hit or miss on eBay and they sell for a bit higher prices locally for some reason.