Winter Haven, FL
danimal cannon wrote:

You have to make it huge in your arrangement, not in post production magic.

ABSOLUTELY.

uhajdafdfdfa

if it sounds fine when he is listening to it but mushy when he is recording i really doubt it is a problem with his arrangement

cool way to plug your album though

Milwaukee Area, WI

Okay, so I took everyone's advice, made myself a rum and coke, and threw together a little song. SovietBoy - Work In Progress

This is raw recording that was just a pro-sound gameboy I ran through the hardware mixer and into my mac to record. I used minimal EQ on the mixer. No post-production editing.

Last edited by Moriokun (Dec 11, 2011 4:40 pm)

buffalo, NY

Alright.  So the main lead, I really would advise against doing any panning with that.  The background part at 0:19 you can definitely get away with the panning you use there.

Watch this, it helped me so much.
http://vimeo.com/13240905

México, DF.

Limit, compress and reverb the shit out of it.

Philly, PA, USA
eme7h wrote:

careful about that, reverbing the shit out of things can make it just sound muddy.

ant1 wrote:

if it sounds fine when he is listening to it but mushy when he is recording i really doubt it is a problem with his arrangement

hey thanks for helping!

Moriokun: What Danimal's saying is that you can get awesome sounds without adding a post production EQ/compressors/etc. In fact, some of my personal favorite chip productions are just straight DMG (Ralp comes to mind). That being said, let's try some trouble shooting. Try going straight into the line-in on your mac, keep the levels in the green, and record the track. It will naturally sound softer than most other tracks you hear because it hasn't been normalized or anything, but that's okay for now. Plug in the same exact headphones you used to listen to it before into the computer and listen to it at the same level you listened to it on the gameboy. Does it sound really different here?

Last edited by an0va (Dec 23, 2011 1:20 am)

Brazil

I never equalized any recording I did with my gameboy.
On the other hand, Pulselooper did some minor mastering on some releases I did with LGPT, nothing that changed significantly the sound, just putting the bass and the treble where they need to be.

Madison, Alabama
pixls wrote:
eme7h wrote:

careful about that, reverbing the shit out of things can make it just sound muddy.

Agreed.  If I add any reverb to a game boy track, I turn the 'verb mix down till it's practically un-noticeable.  Just enough to suggest a broader stereo field or something (which usually isn't necessary if you arrange carefully).

Too much reverb on a Game Boy track usually sounds like ass to me.  Unless you're doing drone/shoegaze type stuff.

I'd like to second Danimal's initial point--you really can get rich, huge sounds out of a Game Boy.  All I usually do is add a bit of EQ, really  (Light boosts to treble and bass.)

Madison, Alabama
an0va wrote:
ant1 wrote:

hey thanks for helping!

Moriokun: What Danimal's saying is that you can get awesome sounds without adding a post production EQ/compressors/etc. In fact, some of my personal favorite chip productions are just straight DMG (Ralp comes to mind). That being said, let's try some trouble shooting. Try going straight into the line-in on your mac, keep the levels in the green, and record the track. It will naturally sound softer than most other tracks you hear because it hasn't been normalized or anything, but that's okay for now. Plug in the same exact headphones you used to listen to it before into the computer and listen to it at the same level you listened to it on the gameboy. Does it sound really different here?

Do this.  This is good troubleshooting advice.

Milwaukee Area, WI

So I've been focusing more on the arrangement of the instruments in LSDJ than with post-production. I found that setting up Left and Right stereo pans of the bass, percussion, and other non-lead/Kick instruments gives it a fuller sound. I use an automated table Like This to pan Center-Left-Center-Right and use the Envelope command to increase the volume to make up for the decrease in volume when panning left or right. Automated panning tables and being more mindful of the volume of instruments has made a huge difference. I'm still experimenting so I'll share when I discover something new.