New York City

Ed, first and foremost. Definitely my favorite and most "out of the ordinary" SID composer, ever.
Wacek.
Some of Linus work is cool and out of the arpy norm.
Some of Dalezy and Maktone too.
Raveguru was already mentioned.

San Francisco

was looking thru the c64 stuff i listen to the most and i pulled up a few for you.

Sil req - top of my list but thats already been said so on to the next.

Martin Galway - a big name in the c64 music world. made the music for arkanoids.... so god damn beast. he has a release with a large amount of songs he made called Project Galway. what sets him apart is his sound is very cinematic style and the fucker hardcore uses real chords and dont depend on chipper arps. he was one of the first c64 composers heavily using samples from what i can gather in interviews.
when he was at his best it was hardcore epic soundtrack space odysseys.

Arman Behdad aka intensity - a gent with strong ties to the demo scene. his tracks range from slow and brooding to mega trance techno. he writes using cybertracker and claims to have a special unreleased version of the software. I got all his stuff from 8bc but the music section is down right now.
suggested tracks are The Sweet Odour of Jesus Christ and

aleksi eeben - he is a g. music style varies a lot but there is something there for everyone. it goes from metal to extremely restrained bouncing melodies to epic acid lines. listen to grand rules, Moontimer from the white box release, and Water Music on the Perseverance release. you will see what i mean. just a note. when you download whitebox know that the full release comes with 28 songs. the first time i downloaded it the site i got it from only gave me 4 songs.

Dalezy and Maktone seconded. need to check out weack

Last edited by wedanced (Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Also ??? has some good SID tunes which are a bit different

San Francisco

akira... sir was not joking this guy is dope.

CHIPTUNE

Zzap69 (funny), Linde (floppy), Chantal Goret (fucky), The Mighty BOGG (king of BASIC 2.0-pop), Mortimer Twang (dub). I think with these you'll be pretty safe from pwm-arp-barfz.

uhajdafdfdfa

chantel goret amazing
thanxXxXx for that one !!!!!!!

will try too get round to checking out ALL the suggestions in this thread
big heart heart  to all of you

New York City

Martin Galway mentioned in an "out of the ordinary sid composers"  thread? come oooon tongue

PS: That Wacek video sounds HORRIBLE, that tune sounds totally different in the real machine! Check: http://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soasc/so … 8580R5.mp3

People shouldn't do recorded videos of music running in a poorly configured emulator. It's just detrimental to how the sound of the machine is perceived.

Have a fuckton of Ed for your afternoon:
http://fonix.dyndns.org:40000/soasc/ind … 9&did=

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 12, 2012 11:47 pm)

Earth

Really groovin on Mortimer Twang. Any more dub ('sides ???) artists? Not that I would expect more than two or three total.

England

i found a few searching the HVSC for 'dub' and 'reggae'

nothing that special though.

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 13, 2012 9:09 am)

San Francisco
akira^8GB wrote:

Martin Galway mentioned in an "out of the ordinary sid composers"  thread? come oooon tongue

psssss i kno i know but just hear me out! if you consider all the other composers at the time i feel like his work stands out and for sure isnt "smooth melody jams or "funk""

He doesn't really use those bouncing chord arps and fast over the top leads. I always hear an emulation of a orchestra in his music. I never hear that with other peeps c64 shit. being one of the first peeps to exploit the sid flaw to use samples he really was trying to push that machine further than it was expected to go. another thing to take note of is the fact the guy used percussion sparingly. allowing to use the channels for chords and other mayhem. all dis kinda makes for a sound totally unique to even a lot of shit that is made today.

lastly a lot of video game music in the 8bit era was made in short loops lasting under 2 minuets  sometimes. The fool wrote like 11 min. songs and stuff. that shit is just awesome in its self. would you rather listen to 5 mins of sexy sweet sid action or 10?

its like  do you want to have sex for like a minute or like an hour?

more of a good thing cant be wrong.

New York City

You say truth in every aspect.

Montclair, NJ

MANY people don't know this but the mighty

- Oxygenfad

makes stuff with a 64 and SID chip. He's one of the craziest breakcore/IDM artists out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raz_6YJWGCE

San Francisco

meh. not my thing. it sounds like 90% break 5% videogame samples and 5% actual chip to me.

New York City
A Versus B wrote:

makes stuff with a 64 and SID chip.

What? Come on.

Montclair, NJ
akira^8GB wrote:
A Versus B wrote:

makes stuff with a 64 and SID chip.

What? Come on.

What?

New York City

The thread asks for SID musicians.