Austin, TX

If nobody has mentioned it yet, Space Megaforce (Super Aleste in Japan), on SNES, is probably my favorite space shmup of all time.  not the most difficult in the normal mode, but it gets crazy on harder levels.  the graphics are gorgeous for SNES, lots of enemies & bullets & really awesome weapons.  Vertical scroll.

New York City
SgtCrispy wrote:

Darius (FISH?? REALLY? Argh!)
Raiden (I don't hate Raiden, but I don't like it either.)
99% of all Bullet Hell shooters (................)

You are a horizontal scroller dude, but those re not produced anymore sad How come Xexex is not on your list, then?

Regarding Darius, though, I gotta say I *really* liked Darius Gaiden. But that's the only one.

ad-hell-aide

Yeah Darius Gaiden was pretty cool

Riverside, CA

Halo 2 is the best shump of all time.

ad-hell-aide

lolno

South Dakota
akira^8GB wrote:

You are a horizontal scroller dude, but those re not produced anymore sad How come Xexex is not on your list, then?

Regarding Darius, though, I gotta say I *really* liked Darius Gaiden. But that's the only one.

Never got to play it, not enough time plus one can't play every single one emulation or no.
But I do love both vert and horz(?) shooters so I don't see anything wrong with liking side scrollers just because the industry is scared of them or whatever.

Speaking of which  Gaiares and Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer
Also Phelios and Truxton.

VA

Mars Matrix and UN Squadron are both good games, but very different.  Also....the Nanostray games for DS are pretty amazing.

New York City
SgtCrispy wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with liking side scrollers just because the industry is scared of them or whatever.

I never said it was a bad thing.
Horizontal ones have a completely different way of playing. I think I prefer them too. R-Type II has to be among my top all-time horizontal scrolling shmups.

Give Xexex a try, it's a mix of R-Type with Gradius.I really like it.
Salamander has to be another fave of mine too, I like it more than Gradius and Lfeforce (I don't like the powerup system)

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:49 am)

Austin, TX
IAYD wrote:

vertical scroll errday

pretty much.