California

Started violin when I was 5, picked up piano when I was 6, started writing junky little songs around that time too, taught myself drums in 5th grade, picked up French horn in 6th grade, and started writing chip about 16 months ago. Being classically trained I have had lots of music theory study.

Also I have perfect pitch, if that's anything.

Milwaukee Area, WI

Trumpet from 5-8th grade, then listend to shitty anime music through out high school. Started listening to better music in college and pick up LSDJ last April while I was recovering from a hang over.

My only regret is not starting to make electronic music sooner.

Chicago, IL

i listened to enter shikari and the fall of troy. a lot.
i play trombone/keyboard/guitar
i am an audio production student
i started using madtracker when it seemed to be abandoned (2008?)
awwwww yeeeeeee shipzunes

Puerto Rico
Aeros wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

I don't know if DDR can be considered "music experience".  Well I guess technically.

technically, yes. mainly actual experience with music composition and playing instruments, though.

You'd be surprised at all the subconscious things I picked up from DDR and guitar hero. I guess there's more than one way to learn things, because music theory classes can be pretty boring and closed-minded; and you need to be really passionate to learn "the hard way". I'm just having fun. Sure, it's harder to learn through games, because you can pick up bad habits or only learn it halfway. But that can be fixed later; with practice.

I played piano for fun from when I was 9 to now, and I have been playing low brass instruments since I was 12. Now I gig doing jazz stuff on a weekly basis (trombone and/or keyboard), and I have had opportunities to play with great musicians. Right now I am trying to finish my first year of college and pay it off with money from said gigs. I sometimes get money when I DJ at fraternity parties (I use Albeton Live), but I have only played four this year because I do not have my own speakers.

I have always loved and played my Gameboy on a weekly basis, and about this time a year ago I got my first EMS cart and LSDJ. Written about a song a week, and only released about a third of them. Now I am trying to incorporate my LSDJ work with my trombone playing, hopefully I will have an EP recorded before the semester is over.

Currently I am learning trumpet and electric guitar, and I seem to be making good progress on both.

Yuma, AZ

Been playing the drums since 2002. Was in a ska band "The Mexican Ostrich" 2006 - 2011 on guitar and lead vox. High School band (snare drum), and church band (drums, guitar) since like 2002/3. Started making electronic music in highschool (so...2003?). Started Tracking in 2010.

uhajdafdfdfa

sort of

rochester, ny

played bass in all the high school bands, played in bands with friends, took theory in high school, went to college for two years for classical guitar performance, played in tons of different kinds of bands on bass / guitar / vocals.

Portland

Guitar lessons when i was about 8. stopped playing and switched to bass.
Played bass and drums through highschool, in bands as well as stuff for school.  Probably going to continue that with school now.
I recently picked up guitar again and I'm getting pretty pro.  Also working on keys.
I'm almost completely self taught, and know theory pretty well.  I can pick an instrument up and figure out how to play it no problem usually.

United States

I've had sex with three chicks who are career musicians (two singers, one pianist) and one A&R rep from a major label.

México, DF.
squidula wrote:

i listened to enter shikari and the fall of troy. a lot.

Madison, Alabama

You guys sure are fancy!

I play the jaw harp ok.

São Paulo, Brazil
Aeros wrote:

god now i feel sorta bad for starting this shit so late, everyone's taken classes or lessons or gotten their skill early on and all i can really do is intermediately work a tracker.

[/pityparty]

what keeps you away from learning right now? how old are you, 90?

Boner wrote:

I've had sex with three chicks who are career musicians (two singers, one pianist) and one A&R rep from a major label.

Not THAT kind of experience, man.

I had very little musical training when I was very very young, and played an extra once at some christmas-oriented opera play. Also when I was very little.

After that traumatic experience, I forsook any kind of musical training. To this day I've never taken any other musical-related class.

Which I'm now ashamed of, because I'd love to be able to play a few instruments.

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Feb 10, 2012 8:11 pm)

Austin, TX

I'm a bassoonist. If I could go back in time and pick a cooler instrument, I probably wouldn't.

Savannah, Georgia
PULSELOOPER wrote:
Aeros wrote:

god now i feel sorta bad for starting this shit so late, everyone's taken classes or lessons or gotten their skill early on and all i can really do is intermediately work a tracker.

[/pityparty]

what keeps you away from learning right now? how old are you, 90?

funny. at the time you posted that, i was replacing my batteries for the fifth time this month in my gameboy from constant use of LSDJ.

should probably just pull a danimal cannon and dissect some project files