dsv101 wrote:

Ok guys, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in custom DMG Cases made from molds. I would like to invest in making a DMG case mold, and casting some. I am not sure on the exact plastic or material to use for the casts, but I don't want to invest if no one will buy some. So if you would be interested, say something smile

It's not really feasible. The design is too intricate to easily make a silicone mold. There's virtually no tolerance for inconsistencies, unlike with other projects, like buttons, where hand casting is more practical.

Medina, Ohio

I may try anyway, also because of that fact, If I design a custom mold that is less intricate and add a a few cool things to it, would that be more practical than replicas?

México, DF.

I tried to do that, but all my designer friends said the same. ):

matt's mind
dsv101 wrote:

I may try anyway, also because of that fact, If I design a custom mold that is less intricate and add a a few cool things to it, would that be more practical than replicas?

(i'm doing this very thing atm, so i'll just throw out some tips about it)...

if you are wanting to handcast these in your own molds at your house, goooooood luck.  you'll find the shape and the design not suitable for this. and it wont work unless you are some sort of casting prodigy...  buttons are hard enough, but you'd be doing something that's three pieces, and if they are off by any amount (very easy to do in silicon molds) they won't fit...  if you can do this you've got my admiration!

which means you'd need to approach this from the 'professional' direction and have them injection-molded and a proper CAD file and all that jazz.  if you don't do CAD yourself and need a designer, expect them to request 50-125 per hour...  (you get what you pay for too, btw, just be warned...  in other words, avoid cheap chinese designers on this one).  if its at all possible, its better to do EVERYTHING in the design yourself until you hit that impasse, and only then seek out some help. 

the cost of the mold alone is enough of a project killer for most, its probably a bit more than you may be expecting.  i've done a fair bit of plastics work, and i was surprised myself.  for a project like this, there is so much to take care of the mold can get pretty overwhelming.  the DMG case we're doing, three different companies have done various things to our mold based on their specialty (supposedly ours is in the final pass of the surface treatment! OMG!!!). 

basically, be very aware that a project like this, even though its not that big and seems rather straightforward (i mean, its only three pieces right!), is going to stretch you out on funding something insane... 

this is the one we're doing atm: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/custom-dmg-shell

hope that helps!  i'm not trying to discourage you, only tone own your exuberance a little and warn you of the bill at the end of this happy trail wink  its frightening.

of course, if you've sent off for quotes on stuff like this before (just the manufacturing) you already know this.

and, IF you can do this via handcasting, i'd LOVE to see pics of your process and how you manage it all.

San Diego

Yeah, I'll let you know, I've had a couple quotes on designs and molds already....like what kitsch is saying, it's a bit of a shocker. They cost a lot more then what you'd think. I even tried searching the web for any designs that were close enough to mine that were already in a CAD format to help cut costs but couldn't find anything. Just as kitsch said though, don't let it discourage you. It is something that will take time and money. As long as you're willing to part with both you'll be fine.

Czech republic
kitsch wrote:

(supposedly ours is in the final pass of the surface treatment! OMG!!!)

Can't wait to see/get one (and then more)!

clovis CA

^^^

Yuma, AZ

ahh yes I can't wait to get my hands on a Kitsch-Boy.

Medina, Ohio

@10spd, I PM'd you about the prosound, a day or two ago smile
@kitsch You didn't really have to go that in depth. A simple, you are an idiot would have been sufficient smile

Gosford, Australia

You're not an idiot just for having an impractical (for a 15 year old) idea! You should definitely consider hand-casting smaller things like buttons; make them unique with their own tactile response and stuff.

San Diego

Yeah I wouldn't say you're an idiot either. What kitsch was saying was just be prepared for what you'd be getting into. There's just a lot more to it then what people think. I would suggest to keep trying what you had in mind anyway. You can always get quotes from designers, try doing your own hand casts, and what not. The worst that could happen is the quotes are to high and you find you don't like doing the hand casting. Either way you tried doing something new. smile

Medina, Ohio

Bump, still looking to do some mods smile

Texas

I might be interested in one or two prosound mods in the very near future. big_smile Depends on if I can get the damn thing to turn on(just kidding).

Medina, Ohio

sweet smile