Victory Road wrote:
ant1 wrote:

how many bands these days play entirely with instruments that weren't even invented until the 1980s? (ok skrillex)
how old is a drum kit
how old is a guitar
how old is the human voice

and they don't count as retro?

i think the difference is that none of those things have ever been a novelty, at least not in the last 100 years

chipmusic hasn't been a novelty for 30 years at least.

Unsubscribe

I'm pretty sure guitars where invented less than 100 years ago as well. SEMANTICS!

BOSTON

guitar is 9th century tech bros

-____-

Gosford, Australia

the technological aspect? of course not. but in terms of its more recent history and its gradual penetration into mainstream media, i think it certainly is a novelty to the general public. but y'know, opinions and all that!

I'm pretty sure guitars where invented less than 100 years ago as well. SEMANTICS!

come on man! you've never seen an oud or a lute before? tongue

also: SEMANTICS!!!

ED:

guitar is 9th century tech bros

man i was just now reading about a picture of a lute supposedly found on a Mesopotamian seal. shit's oooold!
maybe people will dig up shopped pictures of bitshifter 5000 years from now

Last edited by Victory Road (Feb 25, 2012 3:32 am)

Victory Road wrote:

the technological aspect? of course not. but in terms of its more recent history and its gradual penetration into mainstream media, i think it certainly is a novelty to the general public. but y'know, opinions and all that!

how long have we been playing videogames?  the whole Mario-at-a-rave thing comes from that reference point.

Gosford, Australia

See that's exactly why I think it's just a novelty to a lot of people. The majority of reactions to chip music are still "lol this sounds like videogames" and not "hey this is actually music", and the idea of it being a legitimate artistic medium rather than just a petty nostalgia trip is still, by and large, quite alien. I think we're possibly looking at this through two different definitions of the word "novelty", though!

Unsubscribe

I get the same thing when i told old people i play guitar. YOU PLAY ROCK N ROLL SON? People need reference points to talk in one medium about art from another.

Gosford, Australia

For sure. Video games are a point of reference I really don't mind people coming from and I think if the artist wants to stray from that then they'll find a way to move people to a different point of view.

SO YEAH! Retro! I guess instead of relating retro to novelty I should've been talking about whether or not stuff was ever outmoded, 'cause guitars and drums never really have been since their inception. The music and sound in games just got more and more advanced as time went on though (the popularity of intentionally regressing to 8-bit aesthetics in games is surely a recent thing?)

fucking... pandora's box or what?! aaaaah

Venezuela

according to this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_style ... chipmusic is not retro anymore!...

so... what's the new RETRO!???? so my conclusion is... the new RETRO is (in america)... the sound and use of any...

TurboDuo, Atari Jaguar,  3DO Interactive Multiplayer, Saturn, Virtual Boy,  PlayStation, Nomad, N64...

according to this... since they are from 1992 to 1997
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o … th_America

Gosford, Australia

but the playstation and n64 were popular until the early 2000's so you're wrong and your face is dumb and smelly! tongue

awwwWHEEEEEEEEEEheeeuuueEEEEEEEEE!

Last edited by Victory Road (Feb 25, 2012 5:22 am)

Venezuela

dont matter if was or not popular to that time. It was released in between 92-97... now with soundtrack

trololololoooooooo.nsf
trololololoooooooo.ftm

trololololoooooooo.mp3

Puerto Rico
Victory Road wrote:

That is an awesome painting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The problem with the retro tag is that people don't want it to be associated with ALL chipmusic. The community has musicians who's sound is much closer to other eras and styles and their goal is NOT to be:

-lofi
-retro
-electronic
-mario-at-a-rave

I can't say I have anything against these, I love them all and actually try to sound lofi myself; but if everyone tried to make these the focal point of their music, a lot of people would just go "Ew, chipmusic; it all sounds the same." OR "HAHA, YEAH, CHIPMUSIC, IT ALL SOUNDS THE SAME, I CAN MAKE SOME! big_smile" And both of these things are bad.

Labels are kinda dumb.

San Angelo, TX
ui wrote:

according to this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_style ... chipmusic is not retro anymore!...

so... what's the new RETRO!???? so my conclusion is... the new RETRO is (in america)... the sound and use of any...

TurboDuo, Atari Jaguar,  3DO Interactive Multiplayer, Saturn, Virtual Boy,  PlayStation, Nomad, N64...

according to this... since they are from 1992 to 1997
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_o … th_America

I guess I'm very retro because I quite often sample sounds off of My beloved 3DO
(for the record, 3do's sound blends so well with the timbre-esque tones of the gameboy, just wait till I'm done with my EP and you'll see)
I'd love to have a gritty n64 sampler!

Anyways I think that chiptune is retro purely based on the idea that the music is mainly composed on outdated hardware that is novelty.
And even if people don't consider the gameboy novelty anymore, they often associate with console specific title like Blue version and Terri's blast which are old, so once again it becomes retro! Hell this is confusing myself
I'm tired

Godzilladelph

Personally, I consider chiptune to be neoretropostcore

Melbourne, AU

progressive post-avant garde proto-retro neo-futurismcore

vancouver, canada

all i can say is that i can't wait to prosound my Sound Blaster AWE64