Sweeeeeeden

Hello. I'm making an online form for entering data about DMG Gameboys that you own. The goal is to figure out the connection between serial numbers, circuit board revisions, CPU revisions and manufacturing date. Before I'm releasing this form, I would like to collect some preliminary data to make the form as efficient as possible. (I want to try to make simple choices and radio buttons/checkboxes as far as possible.)

I'd like to know which kinds of Nintendo Hotline stickers there are. I.e. local variations for different countries, phone numbers, different designs etc.

I'd like to know which kinds of serial number stickers there are. Variants I personally own:
GM + 7 digit number
G + 8 digit code
Barcode + G + 8 + 1 digit (last digit is marked in gray and probably a checksum digit)
Are there others?

"Made in" locations engraved in the plastic on the back of the unit. I personally own units marked made in China and Japan. Are there other locations?

QUESTIONS FOR MODDERS:
1) Would you be willing to take part in this for units that you're modding?
2) Do you often mix up parts of DMGs you sell? This is valuable statistical information when users you've sold units to enter data about their unit.

It would also be interesting to know how many of you would be willing to open up you DMGs just for collecting data for science.

I will show a preview of the form soon.

Cincinnati Ohio

i dont sell any mods, but i do mod my own gbs and i have a number of them laying around my place, some of which are untouched and some zombies made of their dead siblings.  i would gladly open up my DMGs for science smile  ill keep an eye out for the form.

The Central Coast, Australia

I have this in my back room.. anything I can help with?

Last edited by pulseflux (Feb 29, 2012 8:44 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

Well for starters, if you have any deviating answers to any of my preliminary questions. (Units with non-US htline stickers. Units with deviating serial number formats. Units not made in Japan or China.) These preliminary questions are just so I can reasonably exclude other options from the form questions.

Do you know anything about the source of these 'boys? Like, do you know if they come from the returns department of an Australian store, or is their origin simply "undefined"?

The next thing would be to meticulously go through each of the units and fill in the form. There are quite a few questions that I want an answer to. Maybe the form will be a bit daunting to the average person. You'll have to judge when I have a preview ready.

San Angelo, TX

do you have an email for me to email you the info for my 5 DMGs? or do you just want them here?

Sweeeeeeden

I'm creating an online form with a big bunch of specific questions. This form is not finished yet, The questions in my previous post are preliminary questions to help me design this form.

San Angelo, TX
nitro2k01 wrote:

I'm creating an online form with a big bunch of specific questions. This form is not finished yet, The questions in my previous post are preliminary questions to help me design this form.

Oh, alright well ill check back later man!

San Diego

I have a red PIL that has a serial with GH + 7 digit numbers.

Sweeeeeeden
Vile wrote:

I have a red PIL that has a serial with GH + 7 digit numbers.

Interesting! Where is this unit made? Is this written with a serif font? (The letters and numbers have little "things" on the edges and all lines are not the same width.) Could you give me two first digits after the prefix?

San Diego

Unit is made in China, here's a pic of it instead. Would be easier for you I'd imagine. wink

I put up a pic of a Clear DMG I have to show a bit of a difference. I purchased both of these units off of ebay. The red unit came from Michigan and the clear one came from Ohio. What I tend to notice is that most US serials are the larger sticker, like the clear unit, have a G+8+1. What I'm curious about is if the red unit was originally purchased in Canada since it was so close to the border. Sadly all my other DMGs have the serials torn off but I do know that they all had the larger serial stickers before they were taken off and cleaned.

San Diego

I should also mention, I worked at GameStop for about 3 years and we were only able to take units that had the barcoded serial numbers in tact for tracking purposes. This is also why I wondered if the red unit came from Canada.

Whitley Bay, England

Dunno if this is worth mentioning, but here in England I have only ever seen DMGs with the smaller serials, never the large barcode ones.

This could just be in my limited experience however.

Well I bought most of them as a bulk lot on ebay so I'm not sure about their origins unfortunately.

I've organised them: Serial # |Made in country|Type of screw|case colour|serial number sticker|CPU type.

While going through them I noticed in the plastic below the serial # there are different images such as the Conformité Européenne mark and tüv t13 mark (among others). I'm assuming that these have something to do with regulations in the countries the specific units were sent to.

G850265697|JP|TRI|GREY|BLUE BARCODE|DMG-CPU-06
G762807947|CH|TRI|BLACK|WHITE BARCODE|ILLEGIBLE
G10388136|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G13368464|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G18513241|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G15812218|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G27699278|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G771201187|CH|TRI|GREEN|WHITE BARCODE|DMG-CPU-08
G16509609|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G16846838|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G05608666|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-03
G27066827|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G10082347|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G11199852|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G30533074|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G33548839|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G07429980|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G05263876|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-03
G09501131|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G05342918|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL|DMG-CPU-02
G31274431|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G06843797|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-03
G04303004|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-02
G30715205|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G25514341|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G16477915|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G12696548|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-05
G04342859|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-02
G09497894|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G06392297|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-03
G01605439|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-02
G04101601|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-02
G03847399|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-02
G05493522|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-03
G26770716|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G09408538|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-04
G27935374|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06
G01786434|JP|PHILLIPS|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-02
G763505972|CH|TRI|YELLOW|WHITE BARCODE|DMG-CPU-08
GH2871009|CH|TRI|BLACK|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-08
GH3373798|CH|TRI|GREEN|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-08
G767259000|CH|TRI|CLEAR|LARGE WHITE|DMG-CPU-08 (Purchased from USA)
G24354920|JP|TRI|GREY|SMALL SERIAL|DMG-CPU-06

Last edited by pulseflux (Mar 1, 2012 1:26 pm)

Sweeeeeeden

pulseflux: Thank you very much. I've already gained new insights from the data you posted. However. I would have actually wanted you to wait until I had all the questions ready, before starting to log everything on the units, to both simplify the process and get all the information that I want in one go. At this point I'm just looking to design a standardized form where everything can be entered easily.

There's one very specific thing I would like you to check at this point. On the very early units with G01 serials, (G01605439 and G01786434) I believe both will lack the CE and tüv marks, but will have the VCCI mark. But, what I want to know is if these units have an FCC notice at the bottom? (Complies with the limits for a Class B computing device pursuant to Subpart J of Part 15 of the FCC Rules.)

San Diego

Well I found one of my Grey cases still had a serial in tact and it does have the FCC notice and misses the other 2. This was another ebay purchase and I can't remember where it came from exactly.

Last edited by Vile (Mar 1, 2012 4:23 pm)

No problem. I'll definitely run through the online form as well when you're done. I just figured some of the info might be helpful in designing the form.
As for the two G01~ models, they both look exactly like the one vile posted (including the FCC details), save for the lower serial numbers.

Last edited by pulseflux (Mar 1, 2012 6:13 pm)