Chicago IL
danimal cannon wrote:

Opening these up in my nsf player and analyzing is making me mad that I've already hit the memory limits for LSDJ by running out of chains, phrases, and tables in songs.  I want to be able to put in this kind of detail. 

Maybe one day I can pray for an update.  Actually fuck it, I'll just sync 2 gameboys for some sort of magnum opus

i dunno if it helps, but i've found automated tables useful in cutting down on phrases that are ALMOST the same, but different by a note or two.

buffalo, NY

Yeah I'm sure there's a few more memory consolidation tricks I could learn, even though I do it pretty hardcore automatically now.

Neo Jersey

dear god. listening to virt is like simultaneously inspiring and disheartening, cuz i'm like i will never make anything that sounds anywhere near this amazing lol. the second track is what really blows me away - the way he creates those human like sounds to give the effect of a choir. he showed how he did it in his panel at magfest and i still don't even fucking understand how even does what he does. i guess could sum up my review in one word: masterpiece. yeah

them samples - been so hooked on virt since listening to the MSF OST

danimal cannon wrote:

Or do you mean the Famitracker files?  Because
A) you can import nsfs into famitracker now with some success.
B) You can man up and do it by ear.  Open up in notsofatso, seperate channels, and slow down the tempo.

Yeah, I know, I could do that; but having virt's own FTMs would be actually being able to see exactly how it was done, see his tricks of the trade and whatnot.

But yeah, asking for them when he's not offering them openly feels a little... out of line.

rochester, ny
danimal cannon wrote:

A) you can import nsfs into famitracker now with some success.

i wonder if you could import these successfully though. the way that works is it shows each tick as a row of the tracker. 60 ticks per second and let's say, 180 bpm, would equal 648,000 tracker rows per minute. average song length = 5 minutes. so, that's 3,240,000 tracker rows for each nsf.

how many rows are there in each frame of famitracker? 64? so the famitracker file would have to be 50,625 frames long? how many frames can you have in your song, FF?

256 is nowhere near 50k.

i am 100% sure my math is wrong here. can someone correct me please?

128 (0x8F counting 0x00) frames with 256 (0xFF counting 0x00) rows each is the max you can have in FT. Which allows for 32,768 (0x8000) rows.

And yes, your math is absolutely wrong, LOL. I could import every NSF into Famitracker through Rainwarrior's hack and none even touch the 0x60 mark (96 frames).

Last edited by El Huesudo II (Mar 3, 2012 10:37 pm)

rochester, ny
El Huesudo II wrote:

128 (0x8F counting 0x00) frames with 256 (0xFF counting 0x00) rows each is the max you can have in FT. Which allows for 32,768 (0x8000) rows.

And yes, your math is absolutely wrong, LOL. I could import every NSF into Famitracker through Rainwarrior's hack and none even touch the 0x60 mark (96 frames).

hahaha, i knew it had to be wrong. i also forgot that frames could vary in how many rows they had.

the bpm is what threw me off. bpm doesn't mean anything because there are the same number of ticks per minute in a song that's 200 bpm as there is in a song that plays at 40 bpm.

Can't get enough of Incident Zero. This track shows master use of the format.

Not that the rest of the album isn't totally awesome, because it is on so many ways.