New York City
MikeDI wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

As a commercial streaming radio service, I assume that you are not covered by OCILLA, in which case you are already seriously breaking the law if you are broadcasting any CC BY-NC-ND licensed works without explicit permission.

I've passed this on to our content director that handles the Chiptune stream to make sure that any works marked as such are not considered for airtime.

No more chiptune station.. tongue

Is there anywhere we could see a playlist of what plays?

Puerto Rico

I just wanted to chime in to say I think that it's very respectable of the people at DI to send someone over here to clear this up. It shows a very pro-artist mindset. It's not cheap or easy offering a service like this, people have to get payed; but they also wanna help artists get heard. Mike deserves a beer.

Connecticut USA
Xuriik wrote:

I just wanted to chime in to say I think that it's very respectable of the people at DI to send someone over here to clear this up. It shows a very pro-artist mindset. It's not cheap or easy offering a service like this, people have to get payed; but they also wanna help artists get heard. Mike deserves a beer.

Totally. I mean also. As far as the whole thread goes... getting paid was never really the motivation for it. Wasn't ever really the issue. Was the profit being made off of music intended for free listening. Thread has educated me a lot. If what DI.FM is doing is legal and on the books somehow. I have no problem with it. If not...? Hopefully it can be sorted out. I think the idea of putting up an easy to access playlist of everything being streamed is a good idea. If it was taken a step further and had a link to where the said album was hosted... for free... since all the music being played seems to be under CC. I'd feel even better about the whole situation.

It'd be a shame to see half of the music taken off the Chiptune channel. But it was something that I felt had to be brought to light. Hate to be the bad guy -__-.

Brazil

I just read a note now about the ECAD which goes saying that a blog got notified for using youtube embeds and now needs to pay R$ 352,59 (which might be $150, more or so) monthly.

akira^8GB wrote:
MikeDI wrote:

I've passed this on to our content director that handles the Chiptune stream to make sure that any works marked as such are not considered for airtime.

No more chiptune station.. tongue

Is there anywhere we could see a playlist of what plays?

I'd hope the vast majority of the content is not covered by NC-CC licenses. What I'm not sure about is what our own licenses cover in terms of playlist disclosure, I know we're restricted on disclosing what is specifically going to be played in the near future but I shall get back with a playlist if I can.

CHIPTUNE

MikeDI: I realise you're only doing your job. I'm grateful that you're still active in the thread. But I can't help it: I think it's funny that you can't even share a playlist to the people whose music creates your channel. smile

I agree it sounds a bit strange but it's not through a lack of wanting!

New York City
MikeDI wrote:

I agree it sounds a bit strange but it's not through a lack of wanting!

Totally understood, but it surely just shows the lack of balance and equality on how this works. Seems like people are at disadvantage here.

If I wanna know if DI is playing my music, how would I do so? Listening through the radio 24/7 for how long?

A gray world of dread

Interesting discussion.

As for the playlist, I think DI creates a poll-thread in the forums whenever a song is first played in the stream:
http://forums.di.fm/chiptunes/?pp=30&daysprune=-1

..which is like a playlist, kinda.

µB wrote:

Interesting discussion.

As for the playlist, I think DI creates a poll-thread in the forums whenever a song is first played in the stream:
http://forums.di.fm/chiptunes/?pp=30&daysprune=-1

..which is like a playlist, kinda.

Yes that's correct - it doesn't necessarily reflect what is currently in rotation though.

Also, a clarification - we're not licensed with the PRS in the UK.