Roanoke, VA
trash80 wrote:

Fuck those guys. Seems like a load of shit. They are just standard alkaline batteries.

The skeptic in me doesn't necessarily disagree with you.  But as I just don't prefer (what I consider to be) the inconvenience(s) of rechargeables, this seems like the least-worst alternative.  Do what you will, makes no mind to me.  Though maybe some others don't care for rechargeables, either.  ..I'll still support any company that espouses recycling in their products and/or packaging.

Wikipedia's Life Of Rechargeable Batteries sums up some of the rechargeable issues pretty well.

Those in a constant state of worry might think about picking up a small, portable battery-tester.  They're not expensive, some test a wide array of battery-types, and a number are small enough to fit on a keychain.  For overall versatility, compact size, and low price-tag, I'd recommend this one.  Radio Shack may have some to choose from, if you'd like to window-shop a little before committing to one.

Roanoke, VA

Boy was I wrong.

trash80 wrote:

Fuck those guys. IS a load of shit.

Thanks for making me look into it.  Should've known better, I guess.

London, UK

I honestly don't care, when it's hungry I feed it

Texas

I was a bit worried about the lower voltages of NiMH rechargeables, but so far I haven't had any problems. I have a rather nice charging station though that lets me control how fast/slow to charge batteries, has a discharge feature, among other things. I think the negative feedback I see from rechargeables is due to crappy chargers and/or poor handling.

That said, I've been wondering about creating an external battery pack using lithuim batteries. SparkFun has some nice offerings that should make it pretty easy to do, I would think.

Brazil

Didn't had a chance to test the batt life, but when i was low on batt it started to flicker.

Also, I had to remove the power led to make the mod (LEDx3). So, for those thinking about why people take it off.

Unsubscribe

Thanks to modern cellphones, my perception of what decent battery life is makes the gameboy look like a champ. I use 2700mah recharagables, and probably run through a charge twice a month or so.

New York City
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Didn't had a chance to test the batt life, but when i was low on batt it started to flicker.

Also, I had to remove the power led to make the mod (LEDx3). So, for those thinking about why people take it off.

There is a fix for the flickering, I read it in nonfinite's website the other day.

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

There is a fix for the flickering, I read it in nonfinite's website the other day.

But it was actually good, I knew the battery was dying! It doesn't happen when the batteries are ok.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I use eneloops. Batteries last for-friggin' ever.

Well coming from an RC background, rechargables just need to be used right. the bullshit chargers they come with are usually a joke. If you want good rechargeables, its going to be like 100 for a good set that will last for 100s of charges. NiMh batteries have advantages over LiPo, Li-Ion, and LiFe batteries as they perform better in the cold and heat. Lipo batteries have an extremely consistent voltage right until the end, problem with them is you need to balance charge each cell, and make sure to never over charge or discharge as they will catch fire. LiPo batteries have 3.7v usual per cell, NiMh is 1.2v. Lipo batteries may be the best to use in the case of a rechargeable but the practicality of buying a balance charger then creating a circuit to provide the gameboy with the proper voltage is a huge hassle. I run energizer 2500mah (NiMh) rechargables and use my really expensive RC charger to peak charge them perfectly every time yielding wonderful results.

Last edited by 12ianma (Jun 15, 2011 10:00 pm)

Texas

One thing that bugs me about the NiMH is that, if they produce 1.2V for most of their discharge time, that only ends up being 4.8V. 1.5V advertised by Akalines (although from what I've read, they too can drop to 1.2V after some time) ends up being 6V which is also the input voltage when using the adapter.

Doesn't seem to be as though anyone is worried about it much, and the DMG seems to work fine but I'm curious as to what is going on electrically in this case. I was under the impression that the DMG stepped 6V down to 5V for everything but the LCD. I assumed a regulator was used for that, but a linear regulator would not work in cases where you were already under the output voltage, no?

clovis CA

why dont you use this little number?
http://kitsch.bigcartel.com/product/batt_dmg

btw, i use the green rechargeable batteries from IKEA smile

Last edited by Alley Beach (Jun 18, 2011 1:24 am)

I use 2500 MAH Ni-MH Rechargables from duracell. Pretty good for 8 Dollars.

My experience with battery life on the DMG is that for me, I get about a week of usage before the battery gets low. I know that because my backlight dims when the battery gets low. Overall I was amazed with the life of the batteries on this dmg.

Europa surfing on the monolith

Note***

When using the ems64 usb carts on battery power (or on ac power if the cable slips out), there's a 9/10 chance the memory block you are writing your song in will be corrupted if you lose power while tracking, I've got 4 of these carts and the problem spans across all 4 of them, Just a heads up.

Yeah, only the current song in lsdj, you can reload the other songs in your save though. It's very odd

Sydney, NSW
nkogliaz wrote:

When using the ems64 usb carts on battery power (or on ac power if the cable slips out), there's a 9/10 chance the memory block you are writing your song in will be corrupted if you lose power while tracking

00 39 00 39
00 39 00 39
00 39 00 39
00 39 00 39
00 39 00 39
00 39 00 39

I've heard that backlights don't drain that much extra battery in comparison to a stock-standard GB.
As for which batteries I use, I barely use them.
I have a homebuilt AC Adapter at hand when I'm in music class or at home, a USB power cable I built myself for hooking up to my laptop, and one set of AAs for when I'm on the road or out of the vicinity of a USB port or mains power.

I've used the same set of AAs since May this year, and they're still kicking. I've probably only used them for a total of five hours.