Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
arfink wrote:

I WANT TO PLAY WITH THIS. BTW, we still have to hang out some time.

yes yes... just been tough. been trying to keep the bills paid and stuff..

nz

You work fast, I only got a third of my pcb wiring done last nigt, hehe.

I can't remember where I saw the idea(somewhere on EM) but I've started using ethernet cables as wiring harnesses.  You get 8 stranded wires in a nice plastic casing that can be split just enough to reach the pcb.  I'll take a picture of it next to the same type of pcb with regular stranded bowl of spaghetti/cluster fuck wire.  Feels a lot tidier but we'll see how it sounds, that's the true test.

That Doepfer project is sweet by the way, I want one.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
droffset wrote:

You work fast, I only got a third of my pcb wiring done last nigt, hehe.

I can't remember where I saw the idea(somewhere on EM) but I've started using ethernet cables as wiring harnesses.  You get 8 stranded wires in a nice plastic casing that can be split just enough to reach the pcb.  I'll take a picture of it next to the same type of pcb with regular stranded bowl of spaghetti/cluster fuck wire.  Feels a lot tidier but we'll see how it sounds, that's the true test.

That Doepfer project is sweet by the way, I want one.

hah.. well i work fast when i can get a chance to actually work.

i use eithernet cables (solid core style) for prototyping. but it's doesn't handle being bent for shit..

I have large spools of 24Gage stranded that i used..
Although i will say that solid core Eithernet cable wire is great for ground bussing for small electronic projects like this.

The Voice of Saturn sequencer board was not my ideal pcb layout but i think he did put a little bit of though into it when it came to assembly. the
cluster of wires isn't AS bad as it could have been.. so it went together pretty easily. i just moved across in columns and it went nice.

Tonight i hope to finish up my mods to it and the rest of the clock stuff, in hopes of having a functional sequencer by the end of the evening.
Assuming my girlfriend doesn't pull me away from my bench for some snuggle action.. but you can't blame me if i get distracted if she does. teehee or her for that matter.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Got the sequencer wired up tonight. Clock seems to be working, but i have an error in my wiring somewhere. and apparently a couple LED's were reverse biased..woooops.

every one makes mistakes. haha.. I hope to get the bugs out before the weekend. Just glad the the wiring is over.

As you can see from the image... it's a total rats nest. And amazingly enough i can get the chassis closed. Now to figure out the errors in my wiring. >_< I think i'm missing a jumper or something simple. usually is a minor detail i miss.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Finished the 10 step sequencer.... moved onto...

Paia Midi = > CV Converter (Saturday morning project)

My long term project... >_<

Ohio

Nice Modular!

How hard was the Paia module?  I've been thinking about the Paia Modular kit to get into modular synths and was curious how hard it was to assemble the modules.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
BTS wrote:

Nice Modular!

How hard was the Paia module?  I've been thinking about the Paia Modular kit to get into modular synths and was curious how hard it was to assemble the modules.

The paia module was super simple.. only took me about 2hours to populate the pcb. i'm currently trying to figure out an enclosure for it
as it's not going to live in the modular . needs to be portable.

nz

Are those Klee sequencer Panels?  I have the full parts kit for one and just need to get my panel components together.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

mmmm progress. :-D

MFOS 16 Step Sequencer Prototype underway!
I needed to build up an MFOS 16 step CV Sequencer to work on my Gate/Trigger Expander board for it...
I've been waiting for Bridechamber.com to carry Thomas White's panel design for the sequencer but i need to build this one quick.
So i got some Black Acrylic and started knocking out the panel wiring. I will have a wooden enclosure build so that it will eventually look like this:

1-8 Step panel
Black Acrylic cut to size
Holes machined into panel
Parts mounted to check spacing
LED's are slightly off center.. meh. oh well. thats what i get for only taking an hour to center punch the holes and drill them out w/ a stepper bit. :-D

labels applied, and i've begun mounting parts

Last edited by low-gain (Apr 8, 2010 12:04 pm)

Minneapolis

Rockin! Your modular synth is indeed a beast.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
arfink wrote:

Rockin! Your modular synth is indeed a beast.

i consider it a small rodent at the moment.
nothing is really up and running.. but lots of modules in the works. :-D
i'll need another cabinet soon.

SOOON!!! it shall be a BEAST!!!

nz

Here's some new stuff:

Newly completed SN-Voice VCO and 3 Coron DS* drum synth clones

I've also completely rebuilt the Lunetta, with lots of modules and more to come:

Fun stuff !

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Very cool! smile

I've been distracted from the sequencer a big learning about analog drum circuits.
I'm currently building 2 ds8's, a synare4, trying to clone a synare3, and also modding 3 of my Dr-110's. And designing a DR-55 clone.
Oh, and i'm also making TR-808 voice modules for my modular.

way too many things distracting me from what i need to be doing. lol

hardcore, Australia

This is up on vintage synth explorers classifieds:

* a-122 vcf3 $80 shipped
* doepfer a-121 vcf2 $130 shipped
* 2x Doepfer A-110 $115 a piece shipped
* Doepfer a-188-1 BBD (4096 stages) $175 shipped

would it make a good start to a modular? I know I'd still need a rack and power supply, but what else?

does anyone know a good source of CV keyboards? i know theres the dotcom one and also the doepfer, but a cheaper option would be nice.

nz

That's two VCOs, two filters and something like a delay module.
To be honest I think you're better off with one of Doepfer's premade combos, like the Mini-system:

http://www.doepfer.de/a100s_e.htm

The reason why is that you'll get the basic utility modules that would make up a complete voice with a rack and power supply included.  And it's MIDI compatible.

San Francisco

i heart DIY synths soo hard. i have been making plans for one for a while now.