Yo chipbands: how do you find the midpoint between noise channel and live drummer interaction?

Michigan
Terbografx wrote:
kineticturtle wrote:

Lots of good advice in this thread already.

Complementary writing between chip and band is the way to go if you want a clear mix in your music. This goes much deeper than audio and PA setup of course. I've actually been going back through earlier Glowing Stars songs and ripping out a bunch of noise channel parts. Awkward Terrible doesn't even use the noise channel half the time. This is also why I don't use a hi-hat in that band, because I prefer to program clicky and hi-hat esque stuff into that channel and I can't have both going at once.

In my experience and opinion, in-ear monitoring is the way to go. We initially tried it because we were doing an internet TV gig with audio direct to the sound board, but it's stuck because it's so much clearer than loud PA through earplugs. I've now got things set up so we each get our own mix of things. Everything but the drums goes direct into the monitoring system.

You know, I always wondered if bands like anamanaguchi, TGS, and the like kept their respective percussion channels. I guess, in order to do so, the drummer has to pretty much play exactly what's going on in that channel, correct?

Either way, I'm very much liking omitting a majority of the noise channel. Maybe Keeping in some fills and lead-ins, but just letting the drummer shine through in the mix.

i keep the noise channel in there for lead ins and such, some people say the noise channel muddies up the mix, but ive never had a problem with it, i think it adds more character to the live shows, just my opinion.

my drummer always wears earbuds and is plugged in to the live mix, so its easy for him to follow, theres been a few instances where hes forgotten to bring them, in that case (and i believe luke from anamanaguchi does this for all live shows) just grab an extra stage monitor if its available and point it straight at the drummers ear and set it to full blast.

Lol whoops I didn't read the last few posts of thread and we were heading towards that direction anyway NICE.

But yes, more talk on programmed percussion + live drummer. That's what's holding me back from seeing my stuff with live drums right now because my stuff is so dependent on the programmed percussion parts (not just noise channel)

Last edited by an0va (Apr 25, 2012 7:58 pm)

Michigan
an0va wrote:

Yo chipbands: how do you find the midpoint between noise channel and live drummer interaction?

in mix i usually set the noise channel to a pretty low volume, just enough to where my drummer can hear it through his earbuds, but not enough to where its overpowering the overall mix.

since the NES triangle and noise come out of the same 1/4" jack, on a scale of 0-F i usually set the noise to a 5.

noisewaves wrote:

since the NES triangle and noise come out of the same 1/4" jack, on a scale of 0-F i usually set the noise to a 5.

whoa what? Modded NES outs I presume?

Matthew Joseph Payne

For me, the solution to balancing the two varies by song, even by section of a song. Sometimes it's a matter of just laying off the noise channel, most of the time it's writing both parts so they interlock.

It's a learning process. I've discovered lately that a lot of our older stuff has lots of unnecessary shit going on in the noise channel that I've been stripping out to play live lately.

I also play keyboards sometimes, so the noise channel can give me a free hand or two to do that.

rochester, ny
an0va wrote:

We don't, haha. We don't use the noise channel at all, as you may have noticed.

Rochester, NY
an0va wrote:

Use it very little if any at all

Unsubscribe

Ive had some terrible drummers and some awesome drummers play to the noise. Its up it to your personnel's ability.

Long Beach, CA

Lots of awesome advice in this thread so far. Can't wait to apply it to our next rehearsal sesh this weekend. smile

awesome stuff, keep it up!