Tulsa, OK

if you hate mastering, pay a buddy to do it! big_smile and artwork is important to me, maybe because I just like art wink

Riverside, CA
Jake Allison wrote:

if you hate mastering, pay a buddy to do it!

Or find someone who'll do it for free, for the experience. (aka me)
PM me wink

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
The Silph Scope wrote:
Jake Allison wrote:

if you hate mastering, pay a buddy to do it!

Or find someone who'll do it for free, for the experience. (aka me)
PM me wink

Sold. I'll put you on a trial. Pm you when I'm further along

San Diego, CA

putting a lot of time into something that seems irrelevant to the music (like album art) isn't as bad as people like to say it is, imo! it's actually quite the opposite -- a well-designed piece of album art and an intriguing distribution method will do a lot towards putting the listener in the right context to listen to your music, which is something that a lot of people ignore.

I feel like people ignore this when their music is devoid of substance! if you're composing something and you're having trouble imagining what kind of visual you'd attach to it (static or otherwise), then you might want to rethink your approach to the music imo. I'm not saying that the music has to be "serious", per se, but it has to "say" something, and if it's saying something interesting enough, then the album art will come pretty naturally.

putting a lot of time into the album art and packaging also shows that you really care about the audience's experience, which is really important in this day and age of disposable music! it shows that you're really into making something that lasts longer than a couple listens, at the very least. of course, all of this has to be IN SUPPORT of the music itself -- not the other way around. everything is an extension of the music; if it doesn't make sense to do something when you listen to your own stuff, don't do it.

my first album was nothing to write home about, but I spent a lot of time making sure that the CD packaging was acceptable (with KeFF's help) and I like to think that it paid off. at the very least, I'm proud of it smile

2 cents, etc.

Brunswick, GA USA
spacetownsavior wrote:

... if it doesn't make sense to do something when you listen to your own stuff, don't do it.

This. Points well taken. wink

Forum fart. Again.

Last edited by Auxcide (May 12, 2012 3:27 am)

I'm thinking of something like this:

A little bit pixel.
and this is one of the songs that'll be on the ep:
http://www.chipmusic.org/forums/post/105808/#p105808

Last edited by Auxcide (May 12, 2012 3:26 am)

Los Angeles
spacetownsavior wrote:

putting a lot of time into the album art and packaging also shows that you really care about the audience's experience, which is really important in this day and age of disposable music!

THIS.

and Auxcide - that art doesn't stand out to me, BUT i do like the track smile

Last edited by dasid (May 12, 2012 3:35 am)

Brunswick, GA USA

"Universe" appears to be off center

Haha yeah. I'm still thinking about the title anyway. It was just a quick thing.

I've thought and planned and decided on 7 songs. One's more of a short intro thing but I'm confidant in my selection. Only one song left to write. The rest are in final revision stages.

buffalo, NY
Auxcide wrote:

I'm thinking of something like this:

A little bit pixel.
and this is one of the songs that'll be on the ep:
http://www.chipmusic.org/forums/post/105808/#p105808

I tend to not really like photos with basic mosaic filters over it.  It's kind of like a cheap trick attempting pixel art.  It doesn't have the same color limitations and bit depth and comes off a bit lazy.  It's sort of like running a midi through GSXCC and calling it 8bit. 

Mosiac filter =/= pixel art.

True, but this is just a mock up. I'm thinking of commissioning someone to do a similar one or not doing a pixelart cover at all. smile

It was kind of a test of mixing pixelart with a photo. Without the effort tongue

Last edited by Auxcide (May 13, 2012 6:06 pm)

buffalo, NY

Word

shrinking a photo down usually does the job nicely

Holland

Or just have fun making it, and don't really care what people think about it. Does it matter if it gets listened to a lot? Yeah it's fun, does it make making music less fun? Not it doesn't.