Chicago IL
Kokoro wrote:
pixls wrote:

http://knifecity.bandcamp.com/track/slam-dunk-lifestyle

also, treyfrey makes chipstep? when did that happen?

If TreyFrey II isn't dubby, I dunno what a wub is anymore.

Maybe I never knew at all... hmm

Yeah either you picked a really bad example track from that album or you're right

Last edited by Saskrotch (May 17, 2012 2:32 am)

Chicago IL
SubWooferSpecial wrote:

Sabrepulse is starting to wub as of late as well

last i talked to him he said something along the lines of 'dubstep is dumb and i wish i hadn't made that one dubstep release'

but maybe he changed his mind since then

Atlanta

The question at hand is....Can you use dub-like-bass but not be hacky and dubsteppy? I'd like to fit into that category somehow because bass is honestly really fun to play with in LSDJ

Philly, PA, USA

dubstep is more about a rhythm than anything else, people just associate it with the wubs,
LFO'd bass has been around as long as synths and LFOs have been around.

also yeah that treyfrey track is not really anything like dubstep tho, sorry, not bad, but deffinitely not dubstep

in before SKGB, aka. the "dubstep defender," comes in and starts tl;dr-ing about what's new in wobbleworld

Last edited by an0va (May 17, 2012 3:07 am)

Saskrotch wrote:

Yeah either you picked a really bad example track from that album or you're right

Yeah, I don't really know why he picked dreaming.

here's one

Atlanta
an0va wrote:

in before SKGB, aka. the "dubstep defender," comes in and starts tl;dr-ing about what's new in wobbleworld

If I hadn't surfed 4chan from 2007-2009 I would have thought this was the most insane babble i had ever read lol ^

It's not that inane if you know the scene

Atlanta

haha, are dubstep guys real defensive about their craft?

Saskrotch wrote:
Kokoro wrote:

If TreyFrey II isn't dubby, I dunno what a wub is anymore.

Maybe I never knew at all... hmm

Sincerely don't mean to sound snide, but did you listen to the entire song?

Tokyo, Japan
Girl Posse wrote:

The question at hand is....Can you use dub-like-bass but not be hacky and dubsteppy? I'd like to fit into that category somehow because bass is honestly really fun to play with in LSDJ

Are you drawing a line between Dub and Dubstep? Cause Minikomi / ??? / Cowp / Q300 and a lot of cheapshot firmly in the dub camp, not really dubstep. Both totally fun genres though!

The Hollow Earth
Girl Posse wrote:

haha, are dubstep guys real defensive about their craft?

Well, this is probably another thread for another time but the rise in popularity of so called "brostep" and it's subsequent perception by the general public as being dubstep kind of has us all on edge.

pixls wrote:

dubstep is more about a rhythm than anything else, people just associate it with the wubs,

Couldn't have possibly said it better myself!

Last edited by Subterrestrial (May 17, 2012 4:01 am)

L0O3, C0rnw4//.

Team Toothpaste

Seattle, WA US

I make chipstep. Take the songs I have posted for an example I suppose. Newer ones I've been working on are better, though

Last edited by boaconstructor (May 17, 2012 4:18 am)

Indiana
N6JLV wrote:

me being part of the newer generation of kids and electronic music, enjoy dubstep. now i am aware that a lot of you on here aren't exactly into this type of electronic music, but im not here to start any flame wars big_smile i just want to know if anyone knows of and or is a good chipstep artist that i can look into and follow and become a fan of and eventually stock them and be the creepiest person i can be 0_0

chipstep?

why?

Seattle, WA US

But, beyond my shameless self-promotion..

Orbital Strike are my buddies from Seattle who are just starting up and have an awesome spin on 8bit dubstep. The two of them, Turtlesaur, and I are working on a three-way split EP right now. All 140 BPM chipstep, all dancefloor oriented and shit like that

NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo is the best at it on the Gameboy as far as I'm concerned..

Mizuki's Last Chance is by far the most relevant chipstep artist.. though he does everything in DAWs and has no real chip hardware. Regardless, he embodies the 8bit sound perfectly and forms super heavy dubstep around it. He's been featured by BBC Radio 1 a few times.

Kodek has done good chipstep

I like Monodeer

USK just did a really cool new one called Tristep

Ultrasyd has a few livesets posted which include some awesome chipstep breakdowns. The rest is housey but still has those nice grimey wubs strung throughout

There are a lot of non-chip artists who are beginning to incorporate more chip-esque leads and melodies into their songs (often in the intros) as well

Last edited by boaconstructor (May 17, 2012 4:32 am)