Melbourne, Australia
nickmaynard wrote:

if you asked a more specific question, you'd get more helpful replies!

Garbage in, garbage out.

Holland
basspuddle wrote:
SUPERNERD wants to fight! wrote:

Uhh...theory is theory man. It's not like lsdj has it's own special notes. I recommend getting a guitar or piano and learning a bit on that.

Great idea. Learning music on a gameboy or a computer or something like that is far from the best way how to learn. I recommend a piano highly.

Is actually not far from the best way. Learning music and it's theoretics in a tracker is a really good way to understand for example the construction of a chord. Instead of having three fingers on some snares which makes it sound like a G you can actually see the notes on your screen forming a G.

I do agree that learning music on an instrument is a good basic but learning it on a computer is really not that bad.

rochester, ny
kitsch wrote:

i think maybe a 'fundamentals of chipmusic' manual something might be what you need.  if anyone knows a good place for this.  it would address the issues of chords and such.  a lot of applying musical knowledge to this stuff means learning about the limitations of the hardware and either working around them (arps for example), or embracing them for what they are.  there are a lot of compositional methods, you'll always be met with the same hardware limits though.

i could maybe make something like this to supplement my lsdj zine.

matt's mind

^ was going to email you about that tongue

Detroit, MI

Visualising the notes and such on the fretboard has always helped me. I played brass for years in school and music made almost no sense to me until I could actually see the notes in relation to each other.

Chicago, IL

the ricci adams site is really the best for learning theory. the way I have come to learning lsdj is by experimentation and a lot of joke songs
joke songs turn to alright songs
aright songs turn to songs you can be proud of tongue

Last edited by squidula (Jun 8, 2012 8:30 pm)