shanghai
Smashboy wrote:

"you will suck until you have written at least 100+ songs."
That sentence makes me wanna quit,it seems very far away D:> lol

f that makes you want to quit then you should probably quit
i dont mean that to sound rude
but you should make music because you love making it, of course you want to make good music, but its not gonna happen overnight. thats why many people here have been doing it for years, 3 yrs, 10 yrs , 20 yrs some of us......because you will always learn new things and get better.

but thats not to say you dont get people making rad stuff very quickly. making a decent well structured emotive song thats simple in its productions is much better imo to making something ultra complex synthesis wise and ultra high tech tracking skills - but that is dull and lacks soul.

my point. er whats my point......er my point is this. you can for example look at someone like 'xxyyxx'
only 16 yrs old, made tunes for about a year, his album is fairly simple in song structure, but the way he build the tracks and the instruments he uses worked perfectly. no bella and whistles. just good listenable songs. people took note and bam he's off and running.

my last point is dont take it hard when people knock your shit. i didnt listen cos im at work, but thinking back to alot of 'my first lsdj's' (including ours/mine) they are 9 times out of 10 utter basic shit. someone will tell you that now and you ll be dis heartened.....but you ll play it back in a years time and be like 'yeah that sucks donkey dick'. trust me

also i would stress your first release. dont rush it. chipmusicians always seem to release their first album too fast, its tepid uninspired unce or something that people stream and think 'thats boring, or really amateur, i can tell this dude only just started out'. Thats what not to do. I released my first album on bandcamp in 2010 i think. i started making tunes around 2005, it took a long time before i wanted something with my name on it that i was proud of. cos by then i didnt care if no one liked it, cos i knew it was at least half decent and i spent a lot of time on it.
yeah im stoned and bored at work as usual
i types too 2 2 2 much

peas

PA,USA
Downstate wrote:
Smashboy wrote:

"you will suck until you have written at least 100+ songs."
That sentence makes me wanna quit,it seems very far away D:> lol

f that makes you want to quit then you should probably quit
i dont mean that to sound rude
but you should make music because you love making it, of course you want to make good music, but its not gonna happen overnight. thats why many people here have been doing it for years, 3 yrs, 10 yrs , 20 yrs some of us......because you will always learn new things and get better.

but thats not to say you dont get people making rad stuff very quickly. making a decent well structured emotive song thats simple in its productions is much better imo to making something ultra complex synthesis wise and ultra high tech tracking skills - but that is dull and lacks soul.

my point. er whats my point......er my point is this. you can for example look at someone like 'xxyyxx'
only 16 yrs old, made tunes for about a year, his album is fairly simple in song structure, but the way he build the tracks and the instruments he uses worked perfectly. no bella and whistles. just good listenable songs. people took note and bam he's off and running.

my last point is dont take it hard when people knock your shit. i didnt listen cos im at work, but thinking back to alot of 'my first lsdj's' (including ours/mine) they are 9 times out of 10 utter basic shit. someone will tell you that now and you ll be dis heartened.....but you ll play it back in a years time and be like 'yeah that sucks donkey dick'. trust me

also i would stress your first release. dont rush it. chipmusicians always seem to release their first album too fast, its tepid uninspired unce or something that people stream and think 'thats boring, or really amateur, i can tell this dude only just started out'. Thats what not to do. I released my first album on bandcamp in 2010 i think. i started making tunes around 2005, it took a long time before i wanted something with my name on it that i was proud of. cos by then i didnt care if no one liked it, cos i knew it was at least half decent and i spent a lot of time on it.
yeah im stoned and bored at work as usual
i types too 2 2 2 much

peas

I gotta say,thats inspiring to hear thanks man. I understand it takes lots of time,practice,and patience but when I hear years,it's intimidating. tongue But what you said was pretty cool dude. smile

California
Smashboy wrote:

OK? I'm not 13,I'm 19 for 4 more days. And I guess if XD's and lol bothers you then you must be and old guy that dislikes young people,I just thought it was friendly,what's wrong with that? It doesn't bother me if they won't like, I didn't really expect them too since I'm a newbie anyways. And I didn't notice anything unintelligent other than your over reaction,like chill out dude.I asked for Criticism and I got it,but I didn't complain,did? I asked questions and my responses weren't negative in anyway.  I rather pick flowers instead of fights,but just because I'm a newbie does not mean I'm stupid. So why pick a fight with me?

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe I was a little too harsh; I was only trying to help you integrate smoothly into this place. I'm just pissed at some other things right now and that carried over into this, usually I'm a bit nicer. I interpreted those responses as negative, not jokingly, sorry.

Also I'm 15, but yes I do dislike most other teenagers these days. I guess that makes me a misanthrope?

PA,USA
VCMG wrote:
Smashboy wrote:

OK? I'm not 13,I'm 19 for 4 more days. And I guess if XD's and lol bothers you then you must be and old guy that dislikes young people,I just thought it was friendly,what's wrong with that? It doesn't bother me if they won't like, I didn't really expect them too since I'm a newbie anyways. And I didn't notice anything unintelligent other than your over reaction,like chill out dude.I asked for Criticism and I got it,but I didn't complain,did? I asked questions and my responses weren't negative in anyway.  I rather pick flowers instead of fights,but just because I'm a newbie does not mean I'm stupid. So why pick a fight with me?

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe I was a little too harsh; I was only trying to help you integrate smoothly into this place. I'm just pissed at some other things right now and that carried over into this, usually I'm a bit nicer. I interpreted those responses as negative, not jokingly, sorry.

Also I'm 15, but yes I do dislike most other teenagers these days. I guess that makes me a misanthrope?

I'm not to fond of today's teenagers these's days either. They all act like.....generic teens. haha But it's cool bro,I forgive yah *Bro fist*

Portland

This problem could all have been fixed if we all used Amiga OS with a ram disk wink

PA,USA
Dos wrote:

This problem could all have been fixed if we all used Amiga OS with a ram disk wink

What the bleep?!

Sydney, NSW

I'm just gonna skip the song and tell you to learn how to take criticism. Not everything's gonna go your way, and you just have to accept that. Besides, you yourself asked for criticism!
If your tune doesn't sound good to others, then you don't need to take it to heart. It's criticism, not a rulebook. Learn from it, follow the guidance people are offering, and just don't get all up-in-arms over something you asked for.

My first songs were terrible, and I was kinda lucky to have an asshole on the line telling me what I did wrong, instead of sugar-coating the situation and telling me that it just "needs work in a few spots".

Just chill!

Portland
Smashboy wrote:
Dos wrote:

What the bleep?!

Ram disks are sick because I can download stuff onto it rather than my hard drive, and it goes away when I turn off my PC.  Old feature, it's too bad that feature isn't prominent anymore (other than on linux).

When I put out my first chiptunes they were horrible and got shit comments, as well as some really good CC comments.
So I learned and kept working at getting better.  Now I'm actually pretty happy with what I write.  The more time and practice you put into it the better though, it took 2 albums for me to feel like I'm okay at writing chipmusic.

A little CC IMO BTW
Maybe try some more variation in instruments and patterns?  I still have issues with variation in patterns, but little things like that can really improve a song I've noticed.

Last edited by Dos (Jun 15, 2012 7:24 am)

PA,USA
Chainsaw Police wrote:

I'm just gonna skip the song and tell you to learn how to take criticism. Not everything's gonna go your way, and you just have to accept that. Besides, you yourself asked for criticism!
If your tune doesn't sound good to others, then you don't need to take it to heart. It's criticism, not a rulebook. Learn from it, follow the guidance people are offering, and just don't get all up-in-arms over something you asked for.

My first songs were terrible, and I was kinda lucky to have an asshole on the line telling me what I did wrong, instead of sugar-coating the situation and telling me that it just "needs work in a few spots".

Just chill!

I do take i well. Criticism is supposed to point out your flaws lol and I do accept that and I never took it offensively or "to the heart"! Where the heck did you get those's ideas? o____O? I never complained at all!

Last edited by Smashboy (Jun 15, 2012 8:13 am)

NC in the US of America

it came from the internet. Ull get used to it.

Auxcide wrote:

You don't need more stuff to make one gameboy not sound empty. Listen to Zef. Mind blowing. Actually, go get his album and .sav files for some tips.

also, they may sound mean and unnecessarily rude to you, but these guys know their stuff. To the point where I won't even listen to this because I trust their judgment. They've probably covered everything I'd say. But that wouldn't be fair so I'll listen to this soon and give you some more detailed advice. wink

*looks up* *sees CCB and myself* *feels honored*

this inspires me to post my chipstuff for CC now. ihavent been here very long, but I've run my mouth off enuff where I should prolly prove myself worthy.

but, really, I'd take anything chipschallenge says as gold. I mean...its chipschalenge for sakes sakes. I love the chipscene. All the heroes are regular people juslikeme.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 15, 2012 12:40 pm)

Rochester, NY

FYI I could've been a lot harsher, but as the continuous edits attest I was constantly toning it down; just want to see you improve but you even took the parts of my comment that weren't aimed at you as an insult.  This is probably why da chip mastaz don't even bother coming into threads like this lol

No need to be on the defensive.  Everyone here is on your side.

SketchMan3 wrote:

but, really, I'd take anything chipschallenge says as gold. I mean...its chipschalenge for sakes sakes. I love the chipscene. All the heroes are regular people juslikeme.

No need to go that far chief, but thanks.  We're still babby's

EDIT: btw As for beats, drum fills to start would probably be good.  I tweeted something last night like, "It's not a waste of a chain if it makes the song better.  It's not bad to make a new phrase for the sole reason of placing a new chain at the end to add fills and flourishes to the end of musical sections." or something like that (I can't check Twitter at work yo).  Only time I've ever run out of phrases is doing covers, and I've never run out of chains (yet).  Obviously I'm talking LSDJ but this is basic; because a large percentage of chiptunes don't have lyrics, you have to differentiate your sections.  And if you repeat sections, change a few bits because the changes reward the listener

Last edited by ChipsChallengeBand (Jun 15, 2012 1:04 pm)

AANABAY01

don't take advice from musicians who suck ass

Yeah I'm kinda getting tired of posting in these My First LSDJ threads haha. You tell them the truth and they get mad, or they completely ignore experienced opinions haha.

Gosford, Australia
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

don't take advice from musicians who suck ass

what he is saying is that you should take advice from everyone who has posted so far itt

especially me

i'm gr8

I'm not sure where I can add to what everyone else has said except that you certainly don't need 2 gameboys for a full sound, also don't bother getting any mods done for at least your first year, (unless you just want to mod something, but it won't help your sound until you can write well). Look around and grab save files, watch tutorials like Danimal Cannon's.

I'd also suggest that you stop defending yourself from every little character flaw that people may happen to super-impose on you, you build your identity here by how you act, not by how you say you are, defending every little thing will get annoying.

Yes, people here have the "Get off my lawn" approach, but I think that for the most part we're justified in it, it is our lawn darnit and we need to defend it. As you've heard we get around 5 of these threads a week and as soon as we see "My First LSDJ" a lot of us get ready to tear someone apart, the ones that get discouraged; leave because they don't have what it takes, the others learn to take criticism and take their time and they get better. It's our form of quality control for the scene as a whole.

I don't think anyone puts up their first ever track hoping to be told how to get better, everyone knows that their first track is crap and they should know what's wrong with it all on their own, if they don't see what they can work on they must not have any music in them. People put up their first tracks hoping to the core that by some fluke of nature everyone will love it and they'll be gratified as a chip God and will be accepted with open arms. That's just not going to happen.

That is all.

PA,USA

Frostbyte:"Yeah I'm kinda getting tired of posting in these My First LSDJ threads haha. You tell them the truth and they get mad, or they completely ignore experienced opinions haha."
I'm not getting mad or ignoring your advice,if I were,then I'd be wasting my own time.

Zef:"I'd also suggest that you stop defending yourself from every little character flaw that people may happen to super-impose on you, you build your identity here by how you act, not by how you say you are, defending every little thing will get annoying.
I'm "defending" myself because these "character flaws" are not true!

Zef:"I don't think anyone puts up their first ever track hoping to be told how to get better, everyone knows that their first track is crap and they should know what's wrong with it all on their own, if they don't see what they can work on they must not have any music in them. People put up their first tracks hoping to the core that by some fluke of nature everyone will love it and they'll be gratified as a chip God and will be accepted with open arms. That's just not going to happen."
I never hoped to be some chip god or anything at all everything you said is VERY inaccurate(about me). I know my song isn't great,I'm a beginner,it's supposed to be considered bad. I came here to learn not get insulted and others making false accusations about me,really this is ridiculous here!

I never got mad or upset by anyone's advice and I am taking it all to consideration -____-U I understand you guys get ppl like that but I'm not a poor sport. And I "defend" because some how you guys are misinterpreting what I say as whining and complaining somehow and its weird. The only thing I'm complaining about is the fact that you guys treating me like crap for who knows why! lol wow this place is so anti-newbie!   Are there any other communities like this but you know,with less people making false accusations? o__o?

Last edited by Smashboy (Jun 15, 2012 6:50 pm)