Athens, Greece
Random wrote:

On a more general note, I'm not very comfortable with calling krautrock for "electronic music" or "electronica".

Brazil
boomlinde wrote:

Subway Sonicbeat pretty much summed up my preferences, except for Faust. Anyone heard Os Mundi? That's good stuff, too.

That's because I forgot about Faust.

I'm with Random this time, there's not even the slightly fact to call krautrock electronic music. Some stuff can verge to ambient (the example that comes in mind is Tangerine Dream), heavily using synths, but usually is more the "motorik" rhythm, that restless, autobahn feeling. Not strict, you can add a lot of experimentalism from guitars, vocals, drums, and everything else. Krautrock, as I see it, is more of a regional style of progressive rock that came from Deutschland. I think i'm being prolix. Hm.

Brazil

Oh, and I disagree with mano. As much as I love the first album of Can, Tago Mago is the best. Second is Delay 1969.

yea-the title is more like krautrock AND german electronica. sorry for the confusion- but for instance, tangerine dream would fit in both, right?

Last edited by ZYL (Feb 18, 2010 1:39 am)

New York, New York
Random wrote:

On a more general note, I'm not very comfortable with calling krautrock for "electronic music" or "electronica".

This goes for me too. I feel electronic music or electronica are terms closer to easy-listening or pop music, and that doesn't apply to the layering of sound or experimental nature of many musicians that used a lot more instrumentation than strictly sequencers and synthesizers. Many layers of percussion and guitars were in fact used! I think of electro-pop exclusively for electronica, and not anything in fact with contemporary music I tend to listen to.

Austin, TX

+1 on Can, Neu!, Cluster, and Faust.

Brazil

Esopus: But some synthpop acts, despite the pop, like Fad Gadget are much more layered and experimental, but later became standard for pop in the 80s. But anyway

ZLY: Yes, I think Tangerine Dreams have and extensive discography, thus making the band in the scope for many styles.

Brazil

Oh, and a classic:

Kraftwerk with Dinger, Rother and Schneider. Pre-NEU! stuff, just awesome. As heavy as Black Sabbath - which I would say that it copied, but Sabbath is from 1969. Anyway...

Now from my fav Kraut band, NEU!:

The clip is short, but is pretty good. Punk before punk.

And, if you still didn't listen to this:

This song really makes me sad for its awesomeness. Damo Suzuki rlz (F you mano! lol)

Speaking of Damo Suzuki:

AANABAY01

anyone heard Mumien by Floh de Cologne? i see them associated with krautrock but what I hear is a more political and insistent strain.

generally I'm not into psychedelic music at all since i approach music from a "surprise me" angle and jams just never do. then again sometimes i just turn around and listen to the entire of Tago Mago so who knows ;F

Brazil

Btw, I have a link of the BBC doc about Krautrock, anyone who wants I can send the link via pm.

Athens, Greece
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Damo Suzuki rlz (F you mano! lol)

dude

DUDE

Malcolm Mooney is fucking crazy!

Last edited by Mano (Feb 18, 2010 8:55 pm)