Long Beach, CA
KeFF wrote:

I think ui means color. Black outlines can look a little harsh at some point

Ahh I see.

Je Mappelle wrote:

lovely cat mister

Thank you!

Venezuela

Yep dropbox works just fine, and you have 2gb for hosting files, so XDDD... more than enough for pixelart. About the size, i think that size is just fine. I barely have huge pixelart, but that's probably because i'm scare of the sizes! XDD

About the lines, well you just did it with your last CAT tongue, so...

Terbografx wrote:

I'm gonna show you how i do it. This little "tute" will explain what i mean. It's not the best tutorial ever, but here we go...

Step 1: Just a basic lineart
Step 2: Cleaning the lineart. Check the curves.
Step 3: Adding colors
Step 4: Adding a shadow in the head and making the lines inside a bit softer
Step 5: Make the outline a bit softer
Step 6: Adding texture and more volume and also AA
Step 7: Check than that AA don't work over black background, so you have to think the final result before do any AA.

You can also have no black border at all, but depend of what youre looking for. Same as the textures and AA. Don't be shy with the dithering/texturing.

AA = Anti-alias
Grab the file
http://iloveui.com/lineart/lineart-tute.png

Last edited by ui (Jul 18, 2012 8:37 pm)

Long Beach, CA
ui wrote:

Yep dropbox works just fine, and you have 2gb for hosting files, so XDDD... more than enough for pixelart. About the size, i think that size is just fine. I barely have huge pixelart, but that's probably because i'm scare of the sizes! XDD

About the lines, well you just did it with your last CAT tongue, so...

Terbografx wrote:

I'm gonna show you how i do it. This little "tute" will explain what i mean. It's not the best tutorial ever, but here we go...

Step 1: Just a basic lineart
Step 2: Cleaning the lineart. Check the curves.
Step 3: Adding colors
Step 4: Adding a shadow in the head and making the lines inside a bit softer
Step 5: Make the outline a bit softer
Step 6: Adding texture and more volume and also AA
Step 7: Check that that AA don't work over black background, so you have to think the final result before do any AA.

You can also have no black border at all, but depend of what youre looking for. Same as the textures and AA. Don't be shy with the dithering/texturing.

AA = Anti-alias
Grab the file
http://iloveui.com/lineart/lineart-tute.png

Wait, are you saying my cat is an improvement?

Either way, this tutorial is great! Thanks so much. Everyone in this thread is really pumping me up to make more pixel art.

Long Beach, CA

Your advice really helped!

NC in the US of America
Terbografx wrote:

To be clear, all my pixel art is exported as a png or bmp, but for some reason Photobucket hosts it as a JPG. Any suggestions on image hosts that DON'T do that?

Are you sure photobucket is hosting your PNGs as JPG? I know for certain that they compress BMPs into JPG files, but all my PNGs stay as pngs.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 18, 2012 6:35 pm)

Long Beach, CA
SketchMan3 wrote:
Terbografx wrote:

To be clear, all my pixel art is exported as a png or bmp, but for some reason Photobucket hosts it as a JPG. Any suggestions on image hosts that DON'T do that?

Are you sure photobucket is hosting your PNGs as JPG? I know for certain that they compress BMPs into JPG files, but all my PNGs stay as pngs.

Sorry, I guess I was only loading BMPs into there. -_-

NC in the US of America

Oh, also, that Leonardo is pretty sick.

Venezuela

@terbografx, well np big_smile... im glad than that helped you. Another advice will be, check what other artists are doing. See the details that some artists add, how they manage the colors, how they use the textures, the sizes of the pieces, etc.... I recomend http://www.pixeljoint.com and http://www.wayofthepixel.net
And the best advice is... practice big_smile... practice and practice... this will improve anything you decide to do.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Something I really liked once I started experimenting is using different patterns for dithering instead of the typical 1x1 pixel checkerboard technique. It's really a huge and easy way to bring a lot of personality into your pixel art. You can see it in the head of ui's little bird up there.

Edit: By dithering I mean that checkered pattern you have on Leo's nose for shading. I know I had no freaking idea what the term dithering meant when I first started haha...just making sure yagotme.

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Jul 19, 2012 2:09 am)

Long Beach, CA
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Something I really liked once I started experimenting is using different patterns for dithering instead of the typical 1x1 pixel checkerboard technique. It's really a huge and easy way to bring a lot of personality into your pixel art. You can see it in the head of ui's little bird up there.

Edit: By dithering I mean that checkered pattern you have on Leo's nose for shading. I know I had no freaking idea what the term dithering meant when I first started haha...just making sure yagotme.

I've been meaning to get more into dithering. I've just been using the 1x1 since I'm still relatively new to it.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

Yeah dude no worries I think your Leo looks great! It's just something to keep in mind as you progress. It's a technique that gave me a lot of inspiration when I first started.

Long Beach, CA
8-Bit-Rex wrote:

Yeah dude no worries I think your Leo looks great! It's just something to keep in mind as you progress. It's a technique that gave me a lot of inspiration when I first started.

Thanks, man!

Last edited by Terbografx (Jul 19, 2012 1:52 pm)

Long Beach, CA

uhajdafdfdfa

you are pretty good i like your pictures