Slovakia / European Union

Wow now I want 2xPC-Engine... Ahh smile

Milwaukee, WI

Very awesome, thanks for sharing!  Asaezel looks cool but just sounds like a more advanced HuSIC.  Hopefully MOD to PCE will work well but I'm still banking on a tracker sometime as I don't dig samples as much.  wink

uhajdafdfdfa
Theta_Frost wrote:

Very awesome, thanks for sharing!  Asaezel looks cool but just sounds like a more advanced HuSIC.  Hopefully MOD to PCE will work well but I'm still banking on a tracker sometime as I don't dig samples as much.  wink

Well, the first 5 channels are not 'samples' as such, it's the PCE 32-byte wavetable, which is why you must only use 32-byte looped chipsamples in the mod. And one channel saved for PCM is no bad thing imho. Imagine it like s3m2nsf - tracked with sampled, played back with standard chip waves.

A tracker maybe in the future, we'll see... big_smile

Milwaukee, WI

Now to get to work on MOD tracking... wink

if you know how to use milkytracker or modplug you can made a mod.

Milwaukee, WI

Yeah I've done some XM's with milky - doing mods shouldn't be terrible.  I'm assuming this MOD2PCE spits out .HES files not a PCE executable?

uhajdafdfdfa

A pce executable, that's why it's called mod to pce, not mod to hes. wink Presumably by the time it is released it will be able to do both, since that is useful and not hard to implement.

Last edited by ant1 (Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am)

Can you extract a .hes out of a .pce?

uhajdafdfdfa

Of course (where do you think all the hes files on the internet came from?), but there's no tool which automatically does it AFAIK, assembly language knowledge is required. It shouldn't be anything to worry about since Louis is doing this to make things easier for people who want to make music on PC Engine, not harder. I will ask him about hes some time for you.

Definitely ask for an option to export to .hes or something. I like being able to archive my crappy songs.

uhajdafdfdfa

I asked for you, I was wrong, it can already do both.... smile

heart

Oh cool! I better get to makin those mods!

Any official release dates yet?

uhajdafdfdfa

Nope, I don't think so. Apparently a hes to pce converter already exists... I'll try to find a link. This link is also cool. Thanks guys for keeping my thread alive, this is what makes chipmusic.org better than 8bitcollective.com! tongue

Milwaukee, WI

Ooooo the .GYM file and .MIDI file players look interesting.  That's way cool that this thing spits out . PCE's - a flashcart is totally worth it now!  big_smile

uhajdafdfdfa

You can make a PCE executable with husic too, look for the batch file called "make_pce". smile

MOD to PCE? I think you might be talking about me? ;>_>
It was originally MOD (6 channel) to PCE. It's now XM to PCE.

Read more about it here: http://pcedev.wordpress.com/

I wrote the player, but it still needs work. I also wrote a converter to a more PCE friendly format, since native XM format isn't very optimal (for obvious reasons), but other than that - almost every you do in milkytracker will transfer over. Ant1 mentioned 5+1 setup. I plan to do a few other "setups". Like 4 normal + 4 static channels (8bit samples each), 5 normal + 2 static (two software mixed 5bit with saturation), etc. Anyway, it's just a stop gap, until a real PCE tracker is made. Because there's more advance FXs and such the PCE needs for "normal" channels, that XM format just doesn't provide.

I also did the Azasel sound engine and music script compiler, but I doubt I'll be doing much of anything with that anymore (unless it's by request). I prefer trackers myself. If MML is your thing, then "Squirrel" is the most recent thing for PCE in that area. You can find it here: http://www.aetherbyte.com/psg.htm . It's not mine software. It's an MML compiler that they wrote for the CD System Card PSG player. It doesn't support "samples" as of yet. There's no HES (he said he'll get around to it if people request that).

BTW, since Azasel and the XM player are written from scratch on the PCE side, it would be trivial to do HES output and is planned. Well, for XM converter/player. I consider Azasel dead unless someone specifically requests that or whatever.

Cheers smile

(also, hey ant1 big_smile )