I use the same small RadioShack iron, but I also use a hot air station now. much cleaner work. I suggest you grab a cheapy one Justin, you can get en for like 70$ on eBay with the 110v ac plug

matt's mind

don't get the Aoyue hot air station, you'll be replacing the heating elements constantly.  its a terrible model.

i use one of their soldering irons though, has worked great so far.

The New City of York

Thanks for the heads up Matt!

Any suggestions for a good, affordable hot air station?

matt's mind

good & affordable, i'm really not sure.

i had such a bad experience with my Aoyue, and really really have to have hot air at this point, i broke down and got one of the Zephyrtronics air pencils. 

its amazing.  albeit overkill if you only need hot air every once and awhile.

Milwaukee, WI

I'm working on the Eagle files for the USB version.  My first eagle project, so no promises, but I'd like to make the files available so others can get them produced for personal use.

Cleveland, OH

If anyone wants my eagle files I'll share them as well.

Easton, PA, USA
justinthursday wrote:

If anyone wants my eagle files I'll share them as well.

This guy right here just bought a transfer pak, first stop too. I would certainly enjoy following in your footsteps.

Cleveland, OH

Right on. Well I will probably make some adjustments. I can't promise it's all correct since I haven't built it yet but PM me with your email and I'll get the files to you at some point.

Easton, PA, USA

PM'ed, super cool. take your time. first runs are always tricky, and I am cool with that

The New City of York

Jeeeez Matt... the Zephyrtronics air pencil is expensive!!!! (looks really nice though)

I might just take a chance with the Aoyue being its about $750 cheaper.

Adelaide, Australia

Great work, Domz! smile

Cleveland, OH

Well here's what I have so far:

Maybe a little more tweaking then I'll send the files over to those who PMed me about it.
I may need to make my own cart connector as the one I got from a .lbr is for the huge DMG one and it doesn't fit right.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Jul 29, 2012 5:03 pm)

Hey, I have a beginner question. I think I have everything figured out, besides the power supply. What power supply did you use?

clovis CA
justinthursday wrote:

I may need to make my own cart connector as the one I got from a .lbr is for the huge DMG one and it doesn't fit right.

i was just going to ask about that! not too good designing custom parts, how did you go about this? or was it a ton of googling for the .lbr?

The New City of York
Lavar wrote:

Hey, I have a beginner question. I think I have everything figured out, besides the power supply. What power supply did you use?

The schematics call for a 9-12v

I used a 12v transformer from an old Vestax DJ mixer

Domz wrote:
Lavar wrote:

The schematics call for a 9-12v

I used a 12v transformer from an old Vestax DJ mixer

Thanks! I'll look around the house for a leftover power supply. Should have one laying around.