new jersey

The Mist Toggles released a cartridge with a drone soundscape sort of thing. They'd probably be a good resource.

Austin, Texas

Yeah, if I ever get a good instrumental single I'm happy with, I might try my hand at tracking out a deflemask or carillon "Single Edition" for ROM cart distribution.

ROM Carts for game boy cost maybe $10-$15 in parts to produce, so that's an expensive novelty, but it's also something unique to chipmusicianship as far as merch goes. wink

uhajdafdfdfa

i don't think you can just "hack" an image into a program that does not display an image without knowing any asm actually

Some editors can save as executable .gb files but that's basically it, the one song with a standard display on-screen.  A lot of outlay for one track.

if you're trying this as a "first bit of coding" it'd be far easier to do on a computer than a cartridge-based piece of hardware. (and you can manufacture the releases yourself quite cheaply)  Code-wise you can probably get away with doing it in Basic if you don't want to try assembly, and if it's on the Amiga you can just do a CLI menu like "the old dayz".

Austin, Texas
ant1 wrote:

i don't think you can just "hack" an image into a program that does not display an image without knowing any asm actually

Yeah, the assumption would be that you had graphics in the can or a buddy to help you with that part. There was someone on here who was patching custom graphics into ROMs for people as a favor for a while.

really just depends how complex you want your image to be, for example this is my code for animating nyan cat (loops through sprite table and increments each sprites tile reference)

CatReset:
      LDA #$00
      STA CatCounter
CatResetLoop:
      LDA $0501, x            ; load data from address
      SEC
      SBC #$C0
      STA $0501, x
      INX
      INX
      INX
      INX
      CPX #$58
      BNE CatResetLoop
      RTS

CatMove:
      LDX #$00
      LDA CatCounter
      CMP #$04
      BEQ CatReset
CatMoveLoop:
      LDA $0501, x            ; load data from address
      ADC #$30
      STA $0501, x
      INX
      INX
      INX
      INX
      CPX #$58
      BNE CatMoveLoop
      INC CatCounter
      RTS

this doesn't handle any movement related to input, just the basic animation

4mat wrote:

Some editors can save as executable .gb files but that's basically it, the one song with a standard display on-screen.  A lot of outlay for one track.

Which editors? Is it something that'd be good for singles, like with a small pixel graphic on the screen and then it plays the song?

danimal cannon wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

Nah, not really. It needs to be plug in cartridge, press play. You could just send a cartridge with LSDj and your song on it, but then people could just delete the song. Not the same thing, you know.

plug in cartridge, press start...

changing songs, well that's not as intuitive.

I am not really quite sure why anyone would want to do make an album that plays only on a cart but Dan has the right idea with releasing the sav. I think it would be too expensive and not everyone would want a 30+ album

Austin, Texas

It's kind of the same idea that's behind 1-Bit Music and its successor, 1-Bit Symphony.

A musicdisc, and a cartridge album by extension, isn't a recording in a traditional sense; it's an artifact that allows an exact reproduction of the music in real time on original hardware. A good analogy would be a piano roll, in that instead of being a record, it makes your own player piano (or NES, or Game Boy, or Commodore) reproduce the music on the actual "instrument" on command.

In many senses, both philosophically and technically, this is a more pure expression than a record because an end user gets to experience it literally by the same means it would be performed.

As for cartridge album versus .SAV, J. Arthur Keenes has released a "Deluxe Edition" of Computer Savvy on Bandcamp, which includes either the .SAV or the .LSDSNG files. This is wonderful, and I haven't thrown down yet, but I most certainly will in the near future. For technical people like us, the advantage is that we get to look at how the song was sequenced and examine the details. For an end user, though, it might be difficult to use those uncommon file types, or to be able to get specialty hardware and software to use them.

It also spoils some of the "magic," so to speak: A layperson, when presented with an album on disc or cart, will be totally struck by the novelty; when they have to learn how to go through the process of setting up a system to use a .SAV, the wonderment and mystery are taken away. I think it's a lot easier to get a secondhand game boy and put a cartridge in it for the average layperson, and it's a streamlined package to deliver something unique.

Cartridge albums could easily be limited editions, as well. One could easily make only ten or fifteen in a run, and only produce more when increased demand presents itself. That's not more of an upfront cost than cd duplication or tape dubbing.

That all said, a ROM of the cartridge album could be a happy inbetween.

uhajdafdfdfa

if you have a cartridge you have a great chance to add elements to your music that mp3 cannot give

~ randomness/aleatorics (this doesn't necessarily mean random numbers to all registers. you can provide the music and let the computer decide the structure)
~ interactivity
~ visual/multi-media elements
~ a degree of editability or any other kind of input by the end user

a lot of possibilities that are opened up by the approach are not really explored. i am not sure having an album that plays straight trough and/or lets you skip/select tracks is a particularly worthwhile choice of vehicle for your music. in fact it is just like a CD album but with less widespread replay hardware (exactly like cd but less accessible == gimmick, ok?).

so when you have all these possibilities please try to exploit them. i don't think tristan perich really did that. but i didn't buy his album so i wouldn't know

Austin, Texas

That's a very good point. A lot of his thesis included hardware minimalism and subversion of form, hence the exposed point to point circuit, but I think it would be interesting if he made a third project that did include a generative/unique-per-play circuit.

Within "Chiptune" as an idiom, both as a subset of Demoscene and in contrast to it, I think it's also a question of artistic goals and what you really want to produce at the end of the day. I'm content with the idea of a widely available net-release MP3 album, paired with a limited production cartridge instead of a physical media recording. However, that does open another issue, which is how closely does the artist want the cartridge as an artifact to parallel a traditional recording meant to compliment or approximate it?

On a very basic level, the interactivity could include song-specific limited user-control; at a very basic level the music could remain unchanged, but perhaps the user has some sort of control over a visual routine. I think something even that simple could justify a software release, yet it wouldn't differ from the complimentary recording enough for them to be anathematically divergent. A more aggressive change could be user control of the arrangement, i.e. adding and removing "instruments" from the mix in real time. I think that "live remix" function could entertain a lot of end users, but it still wouldn't be completely divergent from a finalized recording. At an even more radical degree, entire songs or the entire "album" itself could contain generative algorithms, playing something unique with limited user input upon every execution, with no guarantee of resemblance to a recording.

I've been rambling, but my point is that there is a balance between attempting to express a specific work as both a recording and a piece of software, and it's a thing worth considering at length for an artist interested in doing something like that well.

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 1, 2012 1:20 am)

I would buy your album. Yes.

LONDON

I'm not sure if anyone is still interested in this topic. I had the exact same idea. I'd LOVE to get something like this sorted. So much so that I'm reading through Programming the Nintendo Game Boy Advance by Jonathan Harbour. The links people provided had lots of information, but I think if I'm gonna make this happen, I need to start from scratch.

I'll let you know how I'm doing with it. Hopefully have a proof of concept together before too long.

Last edited by BrokenSpares (Oct 31, 2012 10:32 pm)

Sydney, NSW
ant1 wrote:

tilehacking?

LONDON

Right. Done it I think. I've managed to put my own music onto a .GBA ROM file. I know the original challenge was to put it on a .GB file but documentation is just better for the GBA. Hopefully I've not programmed it too horribly for everyone but I think it clearly shows it is possible to do.

https://brokenspares.wordpress.com/2012 … ic-on-gba/

Had a box.com link where you can download the ROM and a copy of VisualBoy Advance (if you need it) I've been waiting to start a new job this Monday so I was able to put quite a bit of time into reading up on how it all works. 

Let me know what you think.

Now I'm going to bed!!!

Last edited by BrokenSpares (Nov 4, 2012 10:36 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
Chainsaw Police wrote:
ant1 wrote:

tilehacking?