West Yorks, UK

reckon anyone could reprogram an oldskool nokia (with composer) with one of shirus beeper routines? we could totally displace gameboys altogether

Brunswick, GA USA
e.s.c. wrote:

plenty of people do way more than just playing back lsdj tracks, so this statement is pretty silly

You aren't who I'm talking about.

I have my moments of debt/income envy, I should clock in and do a little something about that...

Edit: voluntarily partially removed insensitive remark

Last edited by chunter (Sep 8, 2012 3:01 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne
Aeros wrote:

all of you compose or listen to chiptunes as opposed to another genre of music?

I neither make nor listen to chipmusic exclusively. In fact, I think most of the chipmusic I hear is pretty awful.

I make it because I enjoy working with the hardware, I enjoy the creative avenues offered by the inherent limitations, and I enjoy the tonal qualities.

The chipmusic I listen to is music made by good musicians who happen to be working in the chip medium.

Italy

Grown with 8bit home computers in the 80s. Bored of most of the DAWs atm. Nostalgia. Less is more / limitations. Kind of music. Etc.

I don't other than a song every now and then,

my buddy is pretty HxC into it, but he's an obese manchild.

I think the genre is dumb, and it's a stupid practice,

They don't even use this kind of music for real video games anymore.

"Why the hell would you want to waste your time making, producing, and listening to music nobody outside of a small group would want to hear?"

^ now that's a proper title for this thread.

edit: added listening because apparently people haven't gotten out of their; HOLY SHIT SONIC MUSIC SO GOOD! phase.

Last edited by Durahan (Sep 8, 2012 2:55 pm)

Grimsby, UK

same reason i play the mandolin- to be different to the rest of this shit county...

rasta_dan wrote:

same reason i play the mandolin- to be different to the rest of this shit county...

someone's mad at their parents.

Brunswick, GA USA
Durahan wrote:
rasta_dan wrote:

Looking for his answer to "how's your local scene" thread...

I should add, if it wasn't for S3M2NSF I wouldn't be here. Before sharing tracker music I was in a period where I didn't make much music at all.

Last edited by chunter (Sep 8, 2012 3:07 pm)

chunter wrote:
Durahan wrote:

Looking for his answer to "how's your local scene" thread...

Didn't see it,

and from his other posts he sounds like a disgruntled middle/high school student

uhajdafdfdfa
Durahan wrote:

I don't other than a song every now and then,

my buddy is pretty HxC into it, but he's an obese manchild.

I think the genre is dumb, and it's a stupid practice,

They don't even use this kind of music for real video games anymore.

"Why the hell would you want to waste your time making, producing, and listening to music nobody outside of a small group would want to hear?"

^ now that's a proper title for this thread.

edit: added listening because apparently people haven't gotten out of their; HOLY SHIT SONIC MUSIC SO GOOD! phase.

Durahan wrote:

he sounds like a disgruntled middle/high school student

lol

Texas

Because I discovered it online and saw that it was a relatively easy way to compose/produce music and decided to give it a try. :I

Grimsby, UK

wow.... i sounded overly bitter... let's try that again:
to be unique!

Nottingham, UK

I mostly write heavy alternative rock, but I've also always loved synths. The texture of chip waveforms is just really nice to me, harsh but simple. Combing the two seemed like a fairly natural thing to do for me.

It's funny, i liked chip music before i knew that i liked chip music. In the 3rd grade I had to write an essay about the kind of music i liked and i was young and didnt really like much music, the only music i was exposed to was shitty blues my dad would play and i hated it. so i wrote my paper on the songs i would hear on my gameboy and sega genesis. found out about chiptunes about a year and a half ago. I play guitar and stuff so i figured it be cool... i dont play guitar as much anymore now.

Chicago IL

i like to meet new people and then silently strangle them in an alley and move to a different state

The Hollow Earth

I grew up in the 80s man, it just sounds normal to me.