Westfield, NJ
boomlinde wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

because I like the way it sounds.

any other answer is dumb.

How so?

because if someone asked you why you listened to some other genre of music, and you said anything other than "I like the way it sounds," I'm pretty sure they would consider it to just be a novelty.

and maybe someday chipmusic won't be a novelty any more.

Detroit, Michigan
Decktonic wrote:

TBH I think chipmusic will always be a novelty, I really don't see chipmusic lasting 10+ years either (or at least straight up chipmusic, as always it could be used as a tool with different genres). But really why did most of you guys get into chipmusic? You obv. played video games before, and that had to at least play a little role in the decision to get into chiptune. Most of you say its not a nostalgic thing but I believe that it does lol even if its subconscious. I'll make a bet that most of our listeners or fans listen to our music because its nostalgic for them as well.

Idk why some of you are so against the idea of composing chipmusic being nostalgic lol

Last edited by snesei (Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm)

Westfield, NJ
snesei wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

TBH I think chipmusic will always be a novelty, I really don't see chipmusic lasting 10+ years either (or at least straight up chipmusic, as always it could be used as a tool with different genres). But really why did most of you guys get into chipmusic? You obv. played video games before, and that had to at least play a little role in the decision to get into chiptune. Most of you say its not a nostalgic thing but I believe that it does lol even if its subconscious. I'll make a bet that most of our listeners or fans listen to our music because its nostalgic for them as well.

nostalgia played a part, but I was one of those kids that listened to game music like it was any other kind of music, I used to play my favorite game soundtracks in Winamp. I made this so I could listen to my favorite soundtracks from any computer, before I had an ipod: http://radio.christianmontoya.com/

so when I discovered chipmusic via 8bp, it was like, "oh, you can make videogame music without videogames?" and then there were certain songs that I just really enjoyed for the sake of enjoying them, like little-scale's "Come Back To Me" or David Sugar's "Ode To London Transport" and it wasn't long before there was a distinction in my mind between soundtrack music and music made with old game hardware, just like there are some OC Remixes that I just think are nice songs regardless of what game song they are remixing.

but to each his/her own.

Last edited by Decktonic (Sep 10, 2012 6:20 pm)

Detroit, Michigan

I totally agree, I would tape songs from my tv while playing (before I had internet). I listen to it so much that i get surprised when someone asks me what it is lol because its just normal everyday music for me. But there is an appeal more so to our generation I think than others because it is in fact using hardware or using sounds that sound like the hardware that we grew up with.

Thx for that link btw, definitely going to be using it during work hahah

Last edited by snesei (Sep 10, 2012 6:35 pm)

Philly, PA, USA

uhm, chip music has already been going for 10+ years. with very little changing aside from like some stylistic fads and such

Detroit, Michigan
pixls wrote:

uhm, chip music has already been going for 10+ years. with very little changing aside from like some stylistic fads and such

Yeah, but honestly I don't see it having much more life. It originally started with vgm and midi, then people started using trackers to make their own chipmusic. Now some people are using the hardware to make it sound less like a game system and more of whatever fad/trend/style of music is popular (dubstep/seapunk/trip) or some people are making it sound like straight up like a game system. All I am saying is that you can push an 80's video game system (based on the fact that people are using it for its limitations) so far until you hit a limit where everyone's music sounds the same. Unless it is mixed with other instruments and different genres I don't see straight chipmusic being as popular in 2022.

Last edited by snesei (Sep 10, 2012 6:50 pm)

Sweden
Decktonic wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

How so?

because if someone asked you why you listened to some other genre of music, and you said anything other than "I like the way it sounds," I'm pretty sure they would consider it to just be a novelty.

That's a pretty weird and specific assumption to make, but disregarding that, what's it to you if other people consider it to be a novelty? Does that somehow make it a novelty?

If you for whatever reason think "the way it sounds" is the only valid criterion for music to be judged by, I think it's your opinion that is dumb. Do you apply similarly limited ideas to any art form or craft?

Westfield, NJ
boomlinde wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

That's a pretty weird and specific assumption to make, but disregarding that, what's it to you if other people consider it to be a novelty? Does that somehow make it a novelty?

yes.

If you for whatever reason think "the way it sounds" is the only valid criterion for music to be judged by, I think it's your opinion that is dumb. Do you apply similarly limited ideas to any art form or craft?

yes.

you must hate me now.

Sweden
snesei wrote:

All I am saying is that you can push an 80's video game system (based on the fact that people are using it for its limitations) so far until you hit a limit where everyone's music sounds the same.

You're arguing as if there's only a single way to "push a system." From a purely technological point of view, not a lot of artists are even close to "pushing" anything, and from a musical point of view your sentiment is just really laughable. It's not like "pushing" a system automatically makes you end up at dubstep or whatever type of music you had in mind. That's would be the fault of unoriginal or bad composers if anything.

Detroit, Michigan
boomlinde wrote:
snesei wrote:

All I am saying is that you can push an 80's video game system (based on the fact that people are using it for its limitations) so far until you hit a limit where everyone's music sounds the same.

You're arguing as if there's only a single way to "push a system." From a purely technological point of view, not a lot of artists are even close to "pushing" anything, and from a musical point of view your sentiment is just really laughable. It's not like "pushing" a system automatically makes you end up at dubstep or whatever type of music you had in mind. That's would be the fault of unoriginal or bad composers if anything.

I didn't say there was just one way, in a technological point of view some artists kind of are pushing the limit of the gameboy (the noticable lag on a DMG from so many tables running at once forcing to use the gameboy color). My statements were kind of wrong from a musical standpoint though your right. The simplest melodies and rhythms can make for a good song but you can only do so much with thank kind of sound and make it your own.

Sweden
Decktonic wrote:

you must hate me now.

No, but I'd prefer if you addressed my points constructively, because I don't really understand your standpoint.

Sweden
snesei wrote:

I didn't say there was just one way, in a technological point of view some artists kind of are pushing the limit of the gameboy (the noticable lag on a DMG from so many tables running at once forcing to use the gameboy color).

Artists might be pushing the technical limits of LSDJ, but as far as I understand that wasn't really designed with speed with priority over the interface and the flexibility of the commands. In some sense I agree that this is still "pushing a system" but it's not the game boy or its sound hardware that is the bottleneck in this case.

snesei wrote:

My statements were kind of wrong from a musical standpoint though your right. The simplest melodies and rhythms can make for a good song but you can only do so much with thank kind of sound and make it your own.

With "can only do so much" I think you might be drifting into a technological point of view again, or maybe I just misunderstand you.

Unsubscribe
pixls wrote:

Wait what?

In no particular order:

1) Sound aesthetics & unique timbres
- Every instrument has a certain sonic quality, I find some low-fidelity sounds to be very pleasing.

2) Limitations within a fixed framework
- You have certain limitations and certain workarounds, your workarounds are unique, your outcome is colored by this.
You make music in a framework that has a very fixed number of elements, you learn to use these elements in a way that you like.

3) Portability & size
- Bring it everywhere. Store it at home - takes little space, no eyesores.

4) Button layout & efficiency
- Software is (hopefully) optimized for a good workflow with a limited number of buttons and combinations. This provides for speedy operation. Composing will be quick and fun. (At least the first pattern, right?)

5) Novelty
- It's different, quirky and fun.

This is how I feel about my process and why I use these tools.
I don't listen to much chipmusic, but I do enjoy some of it.

Last edited by _-_- (Sep 10, 2012 11:39 pm)

Westfield, NJ
boomlinde wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

you must hate me now.

No, but I'd prefer if you addressed my points constructively, because I don't really understand your standpoint.

There's really nothing more I can say.

I have a very limiting viewpoint on all forms of art.

I take the viewpoints of others very seriously, and I judge art based on how it is interpreted by others.

I do totally understand your points... we can agree to disagree!

i agree with you decktonic, in that the only thing that appeals to me about chipmusic is the way it sounds. the harmony of simple waveforms are very pleasing to me. when it comes down to it, that's the only thing i (me, specifically) can say about it because the only thing i notice that's similar about all the different chipmusic i hear is that they tend to use those simple type of timbres. other than that, nothing really connects one artist to another. i can't really consider chipmusic a genre of music, it's more like an instrument. you hear a guitar in a jazz song and then you hear it in a rock song and you can recognize the instrument but you don't really call them both "guitar music".