vancouver, canada

IMAGINE FOR A MOMENT

that in music, there is no such thing as an instrument in a traditional sense.

where all you have at your disposal as a composer is your compositional prowess.  this is the only way you can communicate anything to your listener.

the purity.  the interplay of melody and harmony.  the notes are just notes and nothing else.

all musical concepts disintegrate converge into a singular entity.  civilizations rise and fall in the blink of an eye.  your mom is also your dad.  new episodes of Firefly begin to air.  2 + 2 = 3.1415926535.  matter and energy coalesce into a soup of something else altogether.  you don't know what is exactly, but it is becoming clear.  all photons in the universe that have ever existed reverse direction and return to their common point of origin, to the genesis of all things.

BAM

that's chipmusic

Westfield, NJ
bryface wrote:

IMAGINE FOR A MOMENT

I could go along with this if the BRK sample didn't exist.

Last edited by Decktonic (Sep 11, 2012 3:13 am)

Finland

Trendiness mostly, secondly cool game boy paintjobs

bryface wrote:

IMAGINE FOR A MOMENT

that in music, there is no such thing as an instrument in a traditional sense.

where all you have at your disposal as a composer is your compositional prowess.  this is the only way you can communicate anything to your listener.

the purity.  the interplay of melody and harmony.  the notes are just notes and nothing else.

all musical concepts disintegrate converge into a singular entity.  civilizations rise and fall in the blink of an eye.  your mom is also your dad.  new episodes of Firefly begin to air.  2 + 2 = 3.1415926535.  matter and energy coalesce into a soup of something else altogether.  you don't know what is exactly, but it is becoming clear.  all photons in the universe that have ever existed reverse direction and return to their common point of origin, to the genesis of all things.

BAM

that's chipmusic

Quite.

Baaaaack to the OP...

I like chiptune music/music making because I suck at all instuments ever made, ever. And back in highschool I was big into "I.T." (read; C64) and when I was at uni doing computer science, I was introduced to it by a mate, and have been hooked ever since.

(First post WOO! big_smile)

Sweden
Decktonic wrote:

I take the viewpoints of others very seriously

Decktonic wrote:

any other answer is dumb

I don't know what to make of this.

Westfield, NJ
boomlinde wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

I take the viewpoints of others very seriously

Decktonic wrote:

any other answer is dumb

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Westfield, NJ
Decktonic wrote:
boomlinde wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In all seriousness though, taking people's viewpoints seriously doesn't mean I like their viewpoints or agree with them. I just care a lot. I care a lot about people's opinions, whether I think they are smart or dumb. Some people are apathetic and it doesn't really matter what you think of their art. I'm not like that.

I hope that makes sense.

Sweden

Fair enough, but dismissing any opinion different from yours as "dumb" without further investigation might come across as the exact opposite of taking them seriously.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I LISTEN TO CHIPMUSIC BECAUSE IT JUST FEELS RIGHT.

AANABAY01

i judge art based on how it is interpreted by other people HAhahahahaha

Westfield, NJ
boomlinde wrote:

Fair enough, but dismissing any opinion different from yours as "dumb" without further investigation might come across as the exact opposite of taking them seriously.

oh of course. I came to that conclusion after careful evaluation, the last 10 times we had this same thread smile

ok I'm gonna stop posting in this thread, it's silly.

lolusa
boaconstructor wrote:

I feel like I've explained this at some point before.. but fuck it.

I was walking around the local 'Folklife' festival with a couple of friends. Amidst the few thousand hippies, gypsies, and other varieties of homeless people, ....
The rest is history..

that was an awesome weekend

montreal, qc

i learned how to use impulse tracker in 1997 at a two-week summer day-camp, at an age where your parents would still ship you off to summer camp after school ended for the year. that fall, modplug tracker was released for windows 95.

i have been using it ever since. i am a stubborn man. i've been telling people that i'll switch to renoise "next week" for the better part of a decade.
to be honest, i hadn't the faintest idea that there was a "chip scene" until a year or two ago.

Germany

so I discovered this long-dead thread while browsing some user's posts several pages deep. want to share my bs.

I LISTEN to chip music because I like how it sounds, and the kind of music many produce within that genre (e.g. fast paced EDM with lots of catchy melodies)

I MAKE chip music because I can. This is less simple then it sounds: I also like instrumental hiphop, metal or funk. But I dont have the skills (even just as a composer) to make these kinds of styles the way I want. Composing good metal is hard, especially if you cant play an instrument metal-style. And well, composing metal without using a real guitar you can actually play ....same goes for funk. As for hiphop, its just that my production skills suck >: D

chip music, on the other hand, just works out naturally for me, its easy to get a consistent sound. and well, in the case of LSDj, the hardware+software is easy to use, affordable, portable (I muck around with my game boy all the time on public transport), easy to mod. also, great community. so far ...

Last edited by Rynnon (Nov 7, 2012 12:28 am)

Godzilladelph

because real music is for bitchasses