Westfield, NJ

I have two recommendations:

1. have a look at this: http://www.no-spec.com/about/

2. encourage artists to submit songs that were essentially done as spec work and never used... e.g. songs for games that were never finished, etc.

Tulsa, OK
Decktonic wrote:

2. encourage artists to submit songs that were essentially done as spec work and never used... e.g. songs for games that were never finished, etc.

That would be cool if I did that! But I already have submissions. I have some of that stuff i might include.

If anyone has any, please submit!

Westfield, NJ
Jake Allison wrote:
Decktonic wrote:

That would be cool if I did that! But I already have submissions. I have some of that stuff i might include.

If anyone has any, please submit!

I was just going to say, if people have submitted songs that were going to be on that other comp with the tape, then it fits the theme of "spec work never used."

vancouver, canada
4mat wrote:

um, spec work is part and parcel of working in the entertainment industry.  even "the big guys" still do spec work.

oh, no doubt.   but i'm willing to bet that most hobbyist composers don't even have a concept of what spec work is, which makes them among those who are most susceptible to being taken advantage of.   

although i have enough common sense to ensure i'm being compensated fairly, i only learned of the term "spec work" yesterday, and my only experience being commissioned to do sound design and songwriting work was for the company i already work for, which already communicated the proper rights and compensation details.

Last edited by bryface (Sep 11, 2012 8:49 pm)

Tulsa, OK

Spec Work. This I'd deeper than I intended it to be. I like it.

What about spec work artwork? Hmmmm?

Puerto Rico

I listen to (as in more than once) a few compilations.

The nanoloop compilation and the vocal compo are some of my favorites. The Mario Paint comp had some gems.

Tulsa, OK
Xuriik wrote:

I listen to (as in more than once) a few compilations.

The nanoloop compilation and the vocal compo are some of my favorites. The Mario Paint comp had some gems.

Which nanoloop comp?

There are lots of good chip compilations!
Chip=win, iPhone nanoloop posse, Chiptuned rockman, nanoloop2008, Italian 8-bit for Japan, chip for cancer... A truckload of golden compilations! There are more bad ones though

Last edited by Jake Allison (Sep 12, 2012 12:24 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

*pops in*
Pxl-bot 1 year later comp. (Because I was in it)

The mark of a good compilation, the real deal maker for me, is track order. Make sure to put some time in it.
Good luck with this though. I imagine some funny takes on the tapes on chains for cover art.

Tulsa, OK
Auxcide wrote:

*pops in*
Pxl-bot 1 year later comp. (Because I was in it)

The mark of a good compilation, the real deal maker for me, is track order. Make sure to put some time in it.
Good luck with this though. I imagine some funny takes on the tapes on chains for cover art.

I care about that too! I was planning on Strong Suit and I to work together on the order. Espically with the eclectic mix of tracks.

You should submit, just sayin' wink

Tulsa, OK

Have you guys heard about the meow army? Creepy

Tulsa, OK

Should I try to get the no!spec crew in on this?

Gosford, Australia

definitely worth a shot after a finished compo is ready to be released.

Tulsa, OK
Victory Road wrote:

definitely worth a shot after a finished compo is ready to be released.

I was thinking about doing that, and talking to them about spec art. Maybe do some kind of showcase with it?

Gosford, Australia

up to you! make sure the music is A+ first and foremost, though.

uhajdafdfdfa

i think you should only chose the 10 best submissions and you should get as many people as possible to submit artwork and only chose one cover

that way your comp will be higher quality

Austin, Texas

lol i c whut u did ther