killadelphia
akira^8GB wrote:

People here need to work in the "creative" business to realize how common place, how everyday's fare this is.
Have a good look around you and you will start to find a lot more "copies" of other things, basically most of what you are delivered is probably a copy of something else.

By the way, "Happy Birthday", as Wikipedia says, is a combination of a melody made by someone with the lyrics made by someone else. And the people who grabbed the original tune and added lyrics, copyrighted that to themselves. Isn't that fucked up? But they got away with it. They even managed to register it as their own, even though the melody was composed by someone else. With this I want to say that laws are fucked up and one has to be careful and know a lot (or get really great counselling) before diving nose-in into a legal issue, specially with a media giant. This sort of shit usually means a LOAD of trouble for the "little people".

you're coming about this from a pro-sample angle - i'm with you on the collage idea and yes - happy birthday is a fucked up story.  where you go wrong is your "this happens everyday" attitude and also, wikipedia is not the best thing to site when making a point.  This happens because we let it happen.  if chipocrite is saying there is a case - I'd trust his experience.  I actually know he has tons of professional music experience from his work with many many bands previously in the philadelphia area.  I also know first hand Chipocrite's ear is quite amazing from working with him.  This is theft and everyone in this scene should rally around the gooch, chip in a dollar, and pay for their lawyers because it affects everyone in this particular "creative industry" from the top down - and they are currently at the top as far as working and touring so we should all be upset whether you like the music or not.

Pete, if you read this and want to sue - i'll totally contribute to a kickstarter for your lawyers!

Ask yourself - what would Carl Sagan do though - maybe he'd turn to the pen before a lawyer?

Last edited by animalstyle (Sep 21, 2012 5:06 am)

Hi! i like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear

Last edited by I'mHeadingForABombShelter (Sep 21, 2012 5:05 am)

Sydney, NSW
I'mHeadingForABombShelter wrote:

that's nice

killadelphia
Chainsaw Police wrote:
I'mHeadingForABombShelter wrote:

that's nice

i like rope

Last edited by animalstyle (Sep 21, 2012 5:15 am)

Sweeeeeeden

I like Turtles. And closing threads. So stick the topic, eh?

California

Hey, Kotaku has the story now.

Detroit, Michigan
VCMG wrote:

omg so much anamanaguchi h8

Indiana
animalstyle wrote:
Chainsaw Police wrote:

that's nice

i like rope

thank god for LPC

Orange County, CA
snesei wrote:
VCMG wrote:

omg so much anamanaguchi h8

woah wtf srs. People can't even appreciate their humore re: lizzie mcguire either they're just like WERE NERDS WE EXPECT ANAMANAGUCHI TO BE REACTIONARY BIGOTS LIKE US.
People who expect people who got screwed over to just "deal with it", then complain about them saying something about it are lame. I had no idea Kotaku community would be this lame.

México, DF.

This whole situation reminds me of that iCarly episode where they wanted to sue Disney but couldn't, so they stole Disney's frozen head.
Anamanaguchi should do that.

New York City
animalstyle wrote:

where you go wrong is your "this happens everyday" attitude

No, sorry, I work in the creative industry (this isn't an industry right here in chipmusic.org) for about 12 years now and this IS common, every day fare. You get it sold every day on varied channels. Is it right? I didn't say it was right. But it's a reality.

I didn't come at this as pro-sample or pro-collage (both things I don't do much of), I came to it with a real perspective in mind, knowing that I have actually worked in a multimedia giant akin to Disney for a considerable amount of time and have as such first-hand knowledge of how these things get made and the legal implications (or lack thereof) of doing something like this and, as such, believe that the healthiest move is not to do anything.

an0va wrote:

the organization has a reputation for not playing very fair and using every loophole they can afford-which at their rate, is basically limitless.

He understand what is going on, too.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 21, 2012 4:49 pm)

Liverpool, UK
Dr Treble wrote:

I had no idea Kotaku community would be this lame.

Check out this guy, not realising anyone who regularly reads anything on the Gawker network is a complete and utter tosser.

Detroit, Michigan

I'm pretty sure anyone who watches the video now with know its an Anamanaguchi song now, and as of now I believe that's the only place this song is posted so their getting recognized for it lol. I don't think anything can be done legally without tons of $$$

an0va is spot on.

disney changed copyright to keep their characters from going public domain. I'm not sure even with lawyers you can win a game where your adversary can just change the rules.

also, akira8gb is totally right about the creative industry. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to ape something.

Last edited by 9H05T (Sep 21, 2012 5:22 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

no publicity is bad publicity.

Sweeeeeeden
9H05T wrote:

disney changed copyright to keep their characters from going public domain.

Nope. They did keep some of the individual cartoons out of the public domain by lobbying for copyright extensions. The charactrers are trademarked however, and will continue to be protected as long as Disney are using the characters commercially, and renew the licenses.