San Diego, CA

He didn't do a very good job of defending himself, but I still stand by my position--we probably should have tried to talk about this stuff without getting super defensive right off the bat.

Chicago IL

whatever scab

Holland

I'm writing this as a game developer (Roel from http://tianxiagame.tumblr.com/ *shameless self advertisement*) and someone who tries to make his own chipmusic, and at this point still failing badly (I probably need help...).

The original post wasn't that clear especially when it came to things as rights, payments and such. Something that could easily be avoided by letting be proof read by someone who also makes music on commission.
Also as someone who works in game development I can promise you that rarely people steal an idea, because everyone has there own games they want to make. Not to mention that it if you can out run them or its a fully free game it doesn't even matter. (because if its free you have practically nothing to lose, except maybe name some recognition). This even goes when its still just a concept. Also you don't have to show a lot to someone to show that its a real project and not just a vague future plan.

And for those who replied with nothing good to say: are you obligated to reply? have you forgotten to ask questions? It just seems like poor etiquettes. And remember "if you have nothing good to say don't say anything" especially with stuff like this.

rochester, ny
sanjsanj wrote:

Awesome replies.

Only the top 1% of apps on the app store actually make any money at all.  Millions?  You're dreaming.  We've made infinitely closer to $0 than $1M.  We do it because we love it.  We're just as broke as the rest of you plus we have no musical talent or training, so we have to humbly come to you and get mud thrown in our face.

Additionally this project is not an app, it's browser-based and going to be on PC/Mac.  Projected profit - $0.  I'll gladly give you your share of zero.

Everyone seems to think that everyone in their industry except them makes tonnes of money and that they're somehow getting robbed.  I'll tell you from personal experience that comedians actually have to PAY to perform a standup these days, unless they're the top 1% of the hottest comedians.  Musicians PAY clubs to let them perform.  Strippers PAY a club to let them work it.  There's much more supply than there is demand for everything creative these days and I'll virtually guarantee you that five years from now musicians and artists will be paying to get their work featured in games/apps/software simply because of market forces.

That sucks?  No shit, Sherlock.

I'm sorry I couldn't show more of what we've done, it's in development, once it's done I'll gladly show it off and no doubt receive a bevvy of sarcastic put-downs for my trouble.  Ok you deserve to keep the rights to what you've done, especially if you're not getting remunerated for it, I'll change that.  But what cloud do you live on where you think you'll magically make a fortune off of it?  Creativity is an energy that finds it's own path.  Money corrupts everything it touches.  Greed is bad.

If anyone feels like dusting some old tracks off that would otherwise do fuck all for them then kindly state your terms and I'd love to have a listen.

Spacetownsav - Thanks for standing up for the other side of the table mate, I owe you one.

Peace and love to you all.

okay how about this

i'll do the music for this if you program a game for me in return. deal?

This role has now been filled.  Best of luck.