East Kilbride, Scotland
Direktor wrote:

Also, being able to run one Game Boy through effects (like chorus, lots of reverb aso.) is a big plus.

If you were willing to hard-pan your channels left and right, and you used an audio cable that splits 1x stereo to 2x mono, you could run the left or right side to effects pedals/units. So you could achieve this kind of setup with just one Game Boy if you use it creatively.

Playboy Man-Baby
Direktor wrote:

If you are making dance music, just the fact that you can play a fat sine/triangle kick and a wav bass at once is enough to justify 2xLSDj. Also, being able to run one Game Boy through effects (like chorus, lots of reverb aso.) is a big plus. I like it when Game Boy music does not sound too much like game boy music.

But, you can do a lot of those things with an arduinoboy and a laptop running a DAW. I think.

I have not done any 2xLSDj tracks yet, though. And my 1xLSDj track are sub-par, only partly because i am a novice at LSDj.

One wav channel can be used to hold kicks and bass notes by alternating between them. At that, you can fit snare samples in those same phrases. 2xLSDj gives more room for layering of sounds, but LSDj can hold its own on one Game Boy.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Nov 2, 2012 7:49 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

One wav channel can be used to hold kicks and bass notes by alternating between them.

A good way to achieve this is to use a 3/3 groove on your wav channel (where it would normally be 6/6 so it runs at twice the normal speed), because it gives you the opportunity to push those kicks and bass notes closer together. That should help if anyone is finding it difficult to maximise that space in their channel.

Spookane, Warshington

I have only played around with 2X LSDJ for a couple songs, but from my experience it seems harder. It could be that I'm just so used to the constraints of using 1X LSDJ and haven't become used to the extra channels. Like Jellica said, I usually write on 1X LSDJ and then, if I feel the need, add harmonies or other bits on the the second. Just mess around with both and see what you like more. Experiment o _ o

Nottingham, UK

How do you alter the groove on just one channel?

buffalo, NY
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

G commands change the groove, kind of like an A command will run a table.

East Kilbride, Scotland
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Just put G01 at the CMD 0 position of every PHRASE screen in your WAV channel, and change the groove to 3/3. If you double up on your CHAIN screen, it will run in line with the other channels on the SONG screen, but you'll be able to fit in twice the number of notes in the same time as before.

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (Nov 2, 2012 8:02 pm)

Nottingham, UK
danimal cannon wrote:
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

G commands change the groove, kind of like an A command will run a table.

Sycamore Drive wrote:
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Just put G01 at the CMD 0 position of every PHRASE screen in your WAV channel, and change the groove to 3/3. If you double up on your CHAIN screen, it will run in line with the other channels on the SONG screen, but you'll be able to fit in twice the number of notes in the same time as before.

Guess I should spend more time looking through the manual. Cheers guys!

Greenland
Sycamore Drive wrote:

If you were willing to hard-pan your channels left and right, and you used an audio cable that splits 1x stereo to 2x mono, you could run the left or right side to effects pedals/units. So you could achieve this kind of setup with just one Game Boy if you use it creatively.

had not thought of that! I will try that once the cable I ordered a couple of days ago arrives.

Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

One wav channel can be used to hold kicks and bass notes by alternating between them. At that, you can fit snare samples in those same phrases.

That is true, and I was aware of that. But, it does make a big difference (to me, anyway) wether kick and bass are alternating or playing at the same time.

Unsubscribe

also you can use the lsdj pan effects as a FX MIX DEPTH type thing in this setup.

Canada

For me it's the additional of another wav track that really tempts me into using two gbs. So many more continuous heavy bass+sample options.

.FILTHadelphia

To be honest I think adding another Gameboy kind of defeats the purpose of using a Gameboy to create chip music. I enjoy the limitation of the 4 channels and any time I've ever experimented with using 2xLSDJ I feel like everything I add is forced. Purist sentiment aside I feel like if I were to ever want more channels for LSDJ I'd be better off just sampling everything into Renoise.

I don't know how valid my opinion is though, I'm in the process of abandoning LSDJ altogether for different trackers.

washington
Direktor wrote:

And my 1xLSDj track are sub-par, only partly because i am a novice at LSDj.

I should get this tattooed on my face

Madison, Alabama

I guess I don't understand what the difference is between using two DMGs versus adding synths or guitars or any additional equipment, really.  It's not pure 1xLSDJ, is all.  You're just adding to the equation.  People are bringing up not being technically impressed or questioning the point of composing with a game boy, so I wonder what people think about LSDJ + anything else.  Am I missing something?  Just curious.

Boston, MA

If you can balance the added layers appropriately, the ability to have +2 part square harmony and two devoted WAV channels sells it for me. And I really don't think it defeats the purpose of using LSDJ. If I JUST wanted more harmonic and layering options, I'd use Milky Tracker or something else, but I really love the sound of the DMG's soundchip in and of itself. The opportunity to use lusher harmony with the DMG pulses and to have kick/bass on separate channels is great. Plus it makes incredible shit like Auxcide's latest album possible. 4 channels or 8 channels, you're still making music on a Game Boy.

Last edited by Soleviio (Nov 3, 2012 12:35 am)

babylon

the thread title made me think about a street fighter style face off. two gbs linked together on one side with a single one on the other ready to kick the shit out of each other. but seriously, props to people who use two as it annoys the shit out of me. i made a cover of mobys god on the face of the water once that i just couldnt do on one and it was a headache to say the least. as far as listening to tunes i could care less how many you use. though i do love being mistaken about how many " hey that sievert track you showed me was two gameboys or something?" " nope" "wait what?".