Joliette, QC, Canada

not really into usb and stuffs but this looks like a really good project !!! Keep it up !!! smile

To my experience the two most common DMG damages are a missing battery cover or battery springs that are totally twisted (so they make your batteries jump out). If this project works out you could rescue a millions of DMGs!

Every once in a while, ChipMusic gets an awesome thread that gets me hyped on an upcoming project.

This is one of those threads!

Freiburg, Germany
Apeshit wrote:

You might find that the screws for the front PCB will start to strip now, since you've removed some vital plastic parts for supporting it. The PCB may also start to bend if that happens.

Thanks for the heads up, Apeshit. Really appreciate your warning. I've informed myself beforehand what the different parts do and I at least know that I removed the two circular plastic parts opposite the button pads that are an integral part for the stability of the front PCB. I have thought long about if I need them and I came to the conclusion that I will risk it for a couple of reasons:

First of all I'm planning to use this DMG as my DAW companion, that means I will be starting it with mgb and remotely controlling it over MIDI for most of the time. The number of button presses compared to say a DMG primarily used for LSDJ will be minimal, a handful per session perhaps.

Secondly this is a proof of concept. I am willing to sacrifice a DMG and the other parts in the name of "science" if this does not work out wink everybody here is invited to learn from what I do and improve upon it, I'm just pioneering the work. In fact I would be stoked if anybody who knows more about the DMG and electronics than me will step in and streamline and optimize the process.

Finally I'm really excited about this project and I'm having a lot of fun thinking about how to pull it off and getting my hands dirty.

In any case I will learn from this and others will do the same.
Worst case is that I fail to execute my idea properly. I can then try to identify why it failed and try again.
Best case is everything is holding up and I'm building the next big mod, just like everybody is prosounding the DMG nowadays some may be "USBoying" theirs in the future (or what ever name we come up with).

Los Angeles

I did this a year or 2 ago. The only thing you'll wanna add is a cap on the power rails for the usb hub so that the dmg on/off doesnt kill the usb bus power. I should read this whole thread before posting. Anyway heres my flickr pics...

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/trash80/5427448370/

Freiburg, Germany
trash80 wrote:

I did this a year or 2 ago. The only thing you'll wanna add is a cap on the power rails for the usb hub so that the dmg on/off doesnt kill the usb bus power. I should read this whole thread before posting. Anyway heres my flickr pics...

Haha! And even in a red DMG as well, with the iMic. Do you have a writeup of this?
Good info with the cap, what do you suggest? 10nf?

Ah well I knew somebody must have had the same idea before.

Last edited by lastfuture (Nov 19, 2012 12:17 am)

rochester, ny

this documentation is awesome though. great job on that.

Canada

Just because it's been done before by a scene giant, doesn't mean you aren't aiding innovation:)

These types of things should be done more often for the sake of progress... but that's one side of the argument;)

Los Angeles
lastfuture wrote:
trash80 wrote:

Haha! And even in a red DMG as well, with the iMic. Do you have a writeup of this?
Good info with the cap, what do you suggest? 10nf?
Ah well I knew somebody must have had the same idea before.

No, though the link I gave was from my phone, the rest of the pics have notes on the photos...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trash80/5427448370/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trash80/5427585478/

The cap I ended up using was rather large.. 470uf 25v. And it was on the soundcard's USB power input. Turning on the DMG after the USB was plugged in made the soundcard dropout. Added this stopped that issue but also gave me another issue- that of which I fail to recall haha.

Maybe adding a nice 5v regulator for the soundcard may help without causing much issue- I didn't spend too much time on it.

Freiburg, Germany

I got notice today that contrary to what the merchant's online store stated the usb hub I ordered is actually out of stock and will take one or two weeks to get to them first. Kind of a damper, since I was expecting it today.

Just wanted to let you all know so that you don't think I've abandoned the project.

Los Angeles

PS: The keyword search for these style of USB hubs is called a "usb squid" ... There are tons of them online- at least, it seems so anyway. I got mine on thinkgeek many many years ago when they were not so common. They seem pretty big but once the housing is peeled off they are quite small. I didn't have to modify any of the DMG housing for it to fit.

Oh another note is that I had issues with ground interference from external devices such as cellphones and the like. I used foil tape and made a grounded housing around the imic to get rid of the issue.

Freiburg, Germany

Alright, I got the USB spider/squid hub and managed to take the casing off with a lot of force and sweat (it was an almost solid piece with 2mm wall thickness!) and what I found isn't entirely what I expected. I could need somebody's expertise on this. The leads going into each of the USB jacks are wire directly coated with something none-conductive that color codes them at the same time. How do I get it off or solder to it? I thought for a second to solder directly to the pads on the PCB even though they're fairly tiny but they are also coated with a clear coat (looks like a thin coat of glue) and don't conduct like that.

I have tried fire on one of the wires, making it glow hot orange, but I could only restore conductivity to a certain degree... any ideas?
also while we're at it, any idea on the markings near the solder points? D+ and D- are probably the data lines ... n stands for neutral aka GND? and e could then be +5V? As I said they're coated with a non-conductive clear coating of some sort and I can't measure anything.

Last edited by lastfuture (Dec 4, 2012 12:51 am)

Freiburg, Germany

oh I get it the markings are mirrored along the horizontal axis ... that's no n and e, it's a V and G making them 5V and GND probably. That also explains why there are two G ... the unused one is probably for the sheath.

Milwaukee, WI

Not sure what kind of wire that is, but it's in every headphone I've ever fixed.  It's AWFUL to solder.

Freiburg, Germany

Buying another squid type usb hub and hoping that one will have different wire or at least uncovered soldering points

Hi,

you can even put a Arduinoboy inside if you have some place.. not exactly a Arduinoboy but a TeensyBoy (port of arduinooboy on a teensy) which use usb midi.
You can look here : http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9337/ … teensy-20/
The code is nearly finished but just need to test livemap and midi out mode on lsdj (don't know how).