i'ma be that "too cool to care guy", and maybe it's because i'm not vested in the environment like i know a lot of people are, but it doesn't matter if chipmusic gets mainstream or not; the only important thing is that people still make good songs. i've never known the popularity of anything to discourage the talented people from making good sounds in some form or another, and as long as there's something good to hear, we should all be happy.

Tulsa, OK

$$$$$$$$$
Makes the world go round
You don't have to like it, you do t have to "accept" it. You just have to know it.
Because you live it.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

I dunno.  I think quite a few more people are aware of chip then anyone wants to acknowledge.  There is plenty of pop music on the radio with video game sounds.  I dont know if the main stream is particularly ready for chip or vice versa, at the end of the day i think the average joe listening to top 40 music wants to listen to more then gameboy tunes, even if its just trancish pop music.

BOSTON

this thread could appear exaclty as it is in any year from 2006-present

vancouver, canada

oh this topic again

for the purposes of discussion i'm going to take "going mainstream" as the following scenario:

- news publications no longer have to have a blurb explaining what chipmusic is
- the public sees chip acts as having roughly presence/stature as any other indie act so that it has no problems being on a lineup and no one has to ask why
- my real-life friends can appreciate my music on a purely musical level without needing to ask about its technical nature, if they don't want to
- the general public AT THE VERY LEAST understands the minimalist approach to chipmusic
- EDM lineups/columns/magazines are healthy interspersed with chip artists who are good at EDM
- chip artists will stop whining about whether or not they're mainstream
- major labels participate in the distribution of chip music without compromising the work in the process
- people stop asking whether or not i'm playing mario

if ALL of the above happens, i think i would be ok with it.

note that this has nothing to do with how much exposure chipmusic gets on top40 lists or the airwaves, or how popular any particular artist is.  i don't care about any of that stuff.  i just want the general public to have a higher minimum level of understanding of it so i can do my thing and not be questioned at every step of the way.  (unless the questioning is in the spirit of greater understanding of course)

also everything ant1 said

Last edited by bryface (Nov 15, 2012 6:51 am)

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

this thread could appear exaclty as it is in any year from 2006-present

Yes, but i guess my biggest thing about "Chip Music"  is that the preferences vary so wildly all across the board with recording methods(processed audio vs minimal), musical styles(actual genres can matter!  oh shit), hardware(though i guess a good chunk use gameboys so this argument wont hold up), purist vs not strictly chip.  The list goes on, chip can exist within popular music but i dont necessarily see a nintendo being a headlining act in any stadiums any time soon, but just thinking about it puts a smile on my face.

and the discussion continues

Gosford, Australia

yeah no posers plz!!

Last edited by Victory Road (Nov 15, 2012 6:59 am)

DC

I like that its getting more popular, but if it falls on tue wrong hands, it may get domesticated, as said before. However, big community doesnt mean mainstream. Lots of people can make chipmusic in underground community, and theres loads more space for many more people. To me, mainstream means domesticated and cookie cutter; monopolized. The more chip artists there are, the more variety and diversity of style arises, which is amazing.

If they start mass producing DMGs, MGBs, and CBGs again, Ill be really happy. They could mass produce the consoles in large numbers, and sell them in bulk to guys like kitsch and Justin, and they could make 'em look purty for us.

England

music can do whatver the fuck it wants to.
none of us have any control over it and its rarely worth getting jealous or angry over.
anyone who is going to make any money out of chip music is propably going to be one of the lizard people anyway.

DC
Jellica wrote:

music can do whatver the fuck it wants to.
none of us have any control over it and its rarely worth getting jealous or angry over.
anyone who is going to make any money out of chip music is propably going to be one of the lizard people anyway.

Those scaly fuckers....

Slovakia / European Union

Listen to newest dubstep, electrohouse, trance, pop and you will release that chipmusic is allready mainstream today...

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8QP32lMlPQ

;o)

Now every fellow chipmusic.org citizen can be F$$$G billionaire... We can earn more money
than whole mainstream industry. Just we need to rise (more remixes of actual hits), become more organised (put more energy and money to our labels) and spread our evangelium to every door (more youtube,dailymotions, TVs, radio sets, festivals, partys, djing)!

And when we will become very commercial we can found holding and buy yamaha, ensoniq/creative labs, nintendo, atari, commodore and make SID2, OPL5, GAMEBOYS with 50 MHz Z80...

Just imagine...

Last edited by Tinctu (Nov 15, 2012 8:51 am)

hardcore, Australia

Google pays this stay at home mom to make chiptunes!
Click here to see how you can make $600 a day.

Playboy Man-Baby
bryface wrote:

mainstream privilege checklist:

- news publications no longer have to have a blurb explaining what chipmusic is
- the public sees chip acts as having roughly presence/stature as any other indie act so that it has no problems being on a lineup and no one has to ask why
- my real-life friends can appreciate my music on a purely musical level without needing to ask about its technical nature, if they don't want to
- the general public AT THE VERY LEAST understands the minimalist approach to chipmusic
- EDM lineups/columns/magazines are healthy interspersed with chip artists who are good at EDM
- chip artists will stop whining about whether or not they're mainstream
- major labels participate in the distribution of chip music without compromising the work in the process
- people stop asking whether or not i'm playing mario

Playboy Man-Baby

On the topic of domestication, expect the mainstream to put a stop to chiptune guys who are "too edgy" if it picks up our little club. 10k, Narwhalz, etc. watch your backqqz.

Chicago IL, USA

I would say as a concept it is really popular already, it's just that the average person doesn't know there is a whole scene about it. Lots of people grew up with the older video games, so when they hear something similar in songs by already popular artists or whatever they feel the same nostalgia lots of people here probably feel when they make this kind of music. No true chip stuff would get popular I think, because it's not like everyone would be like "yo these lo-fi sounds are dope, play this shit on mtv!" At most it would get big with hipsters (some would argue it kind of already is), and we would all go about our lives in the small scene while random big artists incorporate square waves and mario coin sfx every few months or so.

And they all lived happily ever after, the end.

edit: to directly answer the topic question though:

Last edited by SadPanda (Nov 15, 2012 9:48 am)

I thought only Bright Primate had sold out?