metropeak wrote:

Please post if you're interested in seeing this happen, since Mike needs to know there is support out there for him to be motivated enough to get this complete.

I know that for a fact most of the Sonic community would be into this. Is VGM going to be the only sound driver supported, and will it be possible to adapt this for other drivers later? The reason I ask is because some of my friends run a MD Dev wiki and are currently working on a cross-hardware sound driver that will support the Megadrive, CD, and 32X in a number of modes and configurations.

If you want to get into contact with my friends, please PM me.

Milwaukee, WI

That is fantastic!  I would be thrilled to use it live.  Tempo control would be neat too, if possible.  Beatmatching!

Thanks for the feature suggestions guys, updated the original post. Those have been in the original design since the start (we discussed a lot of features a few months back), but I forgot to include them here.

thebitman wrote:

I know that for a fact most of the Sonic community would be into this. Is VGM going to be the only sound driver supported, and will it be possible to adapt this for other drivers later?

Writing the VGM driver in Z80 is one of the toughest jobs Mike is facing right now, so that format is going to take priority over anything else. It is also the only format people are able to easily create their own songs in with VGM Music Maker. This means other formats are not really on the drawing board right now - I appreciate the support though. If this changes I'll let you know.

Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask uses Michael Stamper's VGMPlay to write the roms for Genesis, DefleMask can use this new player for his output when it is finished? I will mail Stamper about this.

Boy do I feel guilty.

Sorry everyone for the lack of updates. People that offered to help for some reason stopped replying to my messages and my personal life made turns for the worst, top that with the fact that I came across an awesome tracker for mobile devices which totally killed all my motivation to try developing this (I thought it would be awesome to be able to make FM chiptunes on the go). Ultimately I became discouraged from taking this project on and stopped working on programming stuff in general. Long story short, life sucks. HOWEVER...

Recently I thought about this project and how many people wanted to see it happen. If this project is going to happen at all, it's going to have to be a side project. I just don't have enough free time to do anything anymore, kinda depressing! I actually do get SOME free time, but not enough to fully dedicate all my life to something. SO maybe if I do a little bit here and a little bit there. I was also wanting to put together a GBA game... which all of this really makes me want to get back into coding. So maybe every now and then I can come up with some minor updates or proof of concepts or something. Rome wasn't built in a day. Everyone if there's a lesson to be learned here it's this... if you're going to take on a huge project, do it in byte sized chunks. Ok so maybe there's another lesson to learn... don't ever lean on just one reason for wanting to do something major, lest that reason collapses under all your weight.

I say this goes for Jerk of the Year! award. Lol. The good news? After I move across the USA, I might have a lot more time for this. Disclaimer : Take this project with a grain of salt from now on. I don't want to break any more hearts.

Edit: Ok, Time to get off my lazy rear... or really since I'm on a computer stay on it instead. I'm working on a project skeleton. More progress than I made the last time around. Who knows WHAT this is going to turn into. Now, it's a common programmer's line "Don't reinvent the wheel", so I'm going to ask, if anyone has any ideas for a good sound driver/engine that is tracker friendly that can be used here... now's the time to speak up. Collaboration is welcome, it looks like I got my fire back. wink

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Jul 3, 2013 12:33 pm)

Personally, I see the SMPS and GEMS as popular sound drivers in the Megadrive scene, but there may be others that would be more tracker-friendly.

I didn't read all of this thread. There's a VGM player being put together right now that may work. I should probably look into it.

GEMS seems a bit too limited, and SMPS I can only find disassembled source code, so it's a programmer's nightmare. The sound driver has to be the most difficult part of the project.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Jul 4, 2013 12:25 am)

If you are dying to get your hands on a mega-huge driver that can even use extra channels the Sega CD and 32X offer, I have a friend who has (as of last week) commented out such a sound driver after disassembling a CD-32X game. PM me if you want his email. It wouldn't be the most immediate driver, but definitely the biggest in terms of options.

I've contacted Mike Stamper about collaborating to make a native tracker. He seems pretty interested! This project might just happen after all! It looks like the focus might be on EXPANDING what he has done so far. Either way, progress.

babylon

im glad this is being revisited, i know how sunvox (im assuming, unless you found some other dope mobile fm tracker im unaware of) can ruin lives with its awesomeness. i have no skills to offer but will gladly give monies for a product or kickstarter type deal.

Yes it was Sunvox. The only one I could find.

EDIT: Who thinks that this is how we should do things on the Genesis?

Before we get too excited, this is just the beginning of a GUI. What it might look like. And yes, I realize that in it's current state, there would probably be tile clipping on the sides in it's current state.

Last edited by CountSymphoniC (Jul 4, 2013 7:58 am)

Milwaukee, WI

I dig it.  Love the LSDJ interface any day.  Please don't neglect the PSG channels though!

babylon

lookin good so far

Theta_Frost wrote:

Please don't neglect the PSG channels though!

Sevilla, Spain

mmmm I'm pretty sure that a collaborative effort would work better than only one dev doing all the development. Why don't you set up a git repository or something?
We can't blame Delek for being an a$$h0l€ because he don't want to share his code (jia jia jia jia jia!), but there's a lot of people that would love to see this happen and I bet there's a few talented coders here.

Looking nice! I hope this project REALY get finished big_smile