A gray world of dread

this place can be so frustrating sometimes.

you can't see my frustrated face right now, but it's looking really frustrated.

I wrote a somewhat longer post with communityblahblah, but I'll just say that the OP posted a few tools for everyone's repository to use, which I think is a fine idea.

montreal, qc

hey guys, i took all of the wonderful advice in this thread and decided to make some interesting music.
http://eerikinpujsound.com/ilkae/juryduty.mp3

Brunswick, GA USA

The Squarepusher quote was not about presets, it was about how guitars can't play quarter tones unless you physically bend the strings with your fingers or play with a slide, or that NES and Game Boy's dynamics are inherently weak; he wishes that all listeners and critics could take that into account.

To which I say, if wishes were horses...

It's true that some of OP's red points can be completely ignored in some kinds of music, and that's okay. We have enough musical styles represented here that often what people think is good is more a matter of "I like this kind of music" than "this guy is good at what he does," which is how it should be, at least among the stuff in "releases."

buffalo, NY

Oh wow lol

Canada

To me the most interesting thing about the majority of the responses here is that some people can't seem to understand the point of the topic; I'm baffled by how much people think I'm trying to tell them how to make their music, or that I'm trying to set down a template for good music... I'm aaaallll for the humanist argument if you want to take this thread that way.

again, "ChipMUSIC seems to need more musical discussion. Also, I don't think this is a tutorial necessarily... there shouldn't be a tutorial for writing music."

but this aspect seems to have gotten out of hand and has strayed massively from the topic: positive and useful musical discussion through sharing different strategies... NOT a tutorial. NOT a guide on good music. MAYBE a discussion on limitations. It IS a subjective list. it CAN BE an aid in your own musical intuition.

Maybe a lot of people in this scene are just too passionate and opinionated to be level headed about this kind of discussion in particular (not that I'm trying to be... I just wanna talk about music). No offense... that can obviously be a great thing sometimes. Maybe if you don't wish to share your experiences of what YOU think makes music (yours or anyone's) interesting, then pass by the thread? Anyways, as the OP, I'd like to bring this thread back to what it was intended for. It's funny how we can't seem to have a strict discussion about musical technique and style. 

ps: Danimal, I'll back you up if they go all West Side Story on your ass.

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 28, 2012 5:25 pm)

buffalo, NY

Remember though, if you're not making prog I hate you and your children

Lexington, KY
Zef wrote:

I kind of love how consistent this community is lately, someone posts a valid topic; some people enjoy it, lurkers benefit, and the people who don't have a use for it take it as some sort of personal vendetta and brutally shoot it down instead of just ignoring it.
Well, happy hunting.

I was benefitting until just now...
...cuz I posted.

Brunswick, GA USA

Part of commenting on these topics is trying to remember if I wrote about somethingthat's lost in 8bc or if I wrote it here!

I try to have three major ideas in every song. I may add more or take a bad idea away, but I normally go for three major ideas, and a handful of minor ones.

I think this music has reached a point where certain questions aren't practical for the forum, for example, all the questions about dubstep bass (answer: watch a tutorial) or get a four or five notes chord to work on a three tone instrument (arps or drop unimportant notes,) get closed immediately because it's stuff many of us have known about for years. I'm happy to answer questions about structure and harmony but there are so many styles here that it's hard to talk about that in a way that suits everyone.

uhajdafdfdfa

ah maybe i misunderstood the point of the thread smile

if you just want to know what makes my music interesting to me

it is my stupid sample collection i have built up over the years
it is the out of tune amen breaks
it is the melodies played on 808 kick drums or the fl studio vocal samples
it is the way they do one idea eight times in a row and then another idea and then end

but if you did those things you'd be an ant1 rip off big_smile

not that My Music Is The Only Interesting Music, just that if i knew what goto80 and nq and zanzan were doing to make their music so interesting i'd probably be doing it . so i can't help you out there smile

Last edited by ant1 (Nov 28, 2012 7:25 pm)

Canada

Haha, I'm not interested in copying the "greats." I want to have a discussion on individuality and specific aspects of your technique that you/others find characteristic and interesting. In this way MAYBE we can have a huge public discussion/repository of how amazingly diverse Chipmusic really is. That's my hope... anyway.

You've got a pretty unique style, that's for sure:)

Last edited by Jansaw (Nov 28, 2012 7:38 pm)

Ontario, Canada

Y'all could have made lots of music instead of writing these huge comments.  Also, I could have made lots of music instead of reading them.  Fuck.  Back to work.

buffalo, NY
J. Arthur Keenes wrote:

Y'all could have made lots of music instead of writing these huge comments.  Also, I could have made lots of music instead of reading them.  Fuck.  Back to work.

I read them in between renders wink

California

Live life, It will beat you down. Tell the story with art. Stop being so technical. Let go. Be you. Listen to criticism. You don't need drugs or to pay admittance to those with inflated egos.

Canada
TristEndo-in-spacebutt wrote:

Live life, It will beat you down. Tell the story with art. Stop being so technical. Let go. Be you. Listen to criticism. You don't need drugs or to pay admittance to those with inflated egos.

This comment probably makes the most sense. But there's no harm in a little discussion/sharing besides the fact:)

Italy

I guess the point of this thread was just to help people to stop being stuck in the place where "oh no my melody is exactly as million others because of boring and overrated chord progressions and kick/snare structure" and just start making fantasy work with a little help from such advices that I, for one, find really useful.

I feel kind of late in this post.

Chicago IL

well this turned into a real shit show

good work everybody