clovis CA

#YOLO

thebitman wrote:

FYI those of us keen on new Gameboy products may want to look seriously at the potential candidates for these screen transplants wink

NeX wrote:

hi guys,
tl;dr The cat is out of the freaking bag, guys. Working on a PCB.

If anyone wants to know how this project could start under the public's nose, it's not too difficult to connect the dots. http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/112545/#p112545 + the thread on "what will happen to chip music if all the Gameboys are gone/dead/owned/modded?" + http://www.noisechannel.org/5045 + all the interest in custom Arduinoboy boards (both internal and external). You don't need a special source or to be in an email chain, you just need to read in the scene. No one said NeX was working on it, but then again, no one said it wasn't happening at all.

For a while the people at the top of the modding community have known what all makes the Gameboy tick. It shows with stuff like nitro's Game Fighter teardown, and Kitsch's collection of various back PCB's for research. It was only a matter of time before someone who is great at what they do decides to investigate replicating huge components.

NeX is going above and beyond the immediate call for this scene. In X many years, it will probably be easier to just buy newer and enhanced DMG guts than it is to replace blown caps. It will be easier to put the device in the hands of all the kids who post videos of their crappy DAW-produced songs on Youtube if something like an internal Arduinoboy is ever integrated (every once in a while, someone special sticks out and turns into a notably growing artist in their scene). There could be things like an internal cart flasher and cart save storage space, eliminating the need for so much investing of R&D in flash cartridges and readers. Hell, one could even see an Arduino-based touch capacitive screen cover that could basically function like a KP3.

I don't think that there is much else to say besides those of us (including myself) who assumed the Gameboy Pocket screen mod was being held for unsatisfying reasons should promptly shut the hell up, cradle our DMG's and Pockets in separate hands, and wait.

Boston, MA

...or, if its within your capability, use the free info and do it yourself. if nex makes boards i'll buy one, but with the way commercially produced chip products go, no way am i waiting

i would always encourage people to try modding, if anyone thinks they can do this mod then they really should, it is a huge difference, especially when using a bivert mod and an RGB backlight. the blue in the backlights doesn't work well on the DMG screens but it is perfect on the pocket ones.

but as an example, i have a small pile of pockets that are useless because of failed backlighting attempts before i got the hang of it. though i did choose pocket gameboys with damaged cases and broken boards, but still i imagine that many people out there assume there is an infinite supply of gameboys and smashing up a few pockets can't hurt.

certainly the info for all kinds of mods has been around for a long time (just take a look at Jeff Frohwein's technical data!) and its great that that info is out, but things like datasheets and serial numbers are still gibberish to people who don't understand electronics, and that has blocked people from attempting mods before they know more, which i think is a good thing. people shouldn't be spoon fed tutorials, they should learn step by step so they know what to do if something goes wrong. you wouldn't like the idea of some kid doing brain surgery based on a tutorial on the internet?!

but if people just want a replacement front board that lets them plug in a pocket screen, i could possibly have that done by the new year depending on if i can source parts like the ZIF connector for the pocket screen, DMG ribbon cable and the LCD voltage regulator.

NeX wrote:

but if people just want a replacement front board that lets them plug in a pocket screen, i could possibly have that done by the new year depending on if i can source parts like the ZIF connector for the pocket screen, DMG ribbon cable and the LCD voltage regulator.

This.
This would become a very popular purchase.

Boston, MA
NeX wrote:

This is a good idea. The rest of the bells and whistles you mentioned (RGB controller for example) might not appeal to everyone. With this approach, people can add what they want, ...maybe internal arduinoboy will come with v2 or something

and @ 8bitdad, your avatar is soo good

well the idea was to develop a board, and then populate it with components on request. so if someone wants an RGB controller, it can be added, but the board would be generic for everyone. the main difference is that it would take longer to design than just a direct replacement board. it would also be very possible to offer it as a kit, people could populate the board with what ever they wanted, and still get the satisfaction of doing a modification without risking their gameboys.

Chicago
NeX wrote:

there is an infinite supply of gameboys and smashing up a few pockets can't hurt.

Fixed: As time goes on, there is an ever growing supply of broken gameboys and salvaging parts from broken gameboys to make fully functional devices can't hurt.

NeX wrote:

if i can source parts like the ZIF connector for the pocket screen, DMG ribbon cable and the LCD voltage regulator.

ebay + search term "Gameboy broken"

As for the ZIF connector

NeX wrote:

i have a small pile of pockets that are useless

NeX wrote:

you wouldn't like the idea of some kid doing brain surgery based on a tutorial on the internet?!

No, but I'd rather have him do it, then someone who didn't look at a tutorial big_smile

Milwaukee, WI

I'm excited for Nex's PCB.  Keep it up! smile

Utah

I don't typically use too many bells and whistles, but would love an easier way to put a pocket screen on my DMGs. I support you, Nex.

Melbourne, Australia

...if new Front PCBs are being developed with built-in 'Arduino' microcontrollers, then I think it would be a real missed opportunity to not consider the possibility of letting the microcontroller interface directly with the display and the buttons - even if it is only for an on-screen-display preferences / settings menu? The more interesting application would be the possibility of the PCB acting as a stand-alone console without the need for a Back PCB - there are mountains of work already existing around Arduino / Atmel based video game consoles!

GoingHam wrote:
NeX wrote:

there is an infinite supply of gameboys and smashing up a few pockets can't hurt.

Fixed: As time goes on, there is an ever growing supply of broken gameboys and salvaging parts from broken gameboys to make fully functional devices can't hurt.

NeX wrote:

if i can source parts like the ZIF connector for the pocket screen, DMG ribbon cable and the LCD voltage regulator.

ebay + search term "Gameboy broken"

As for the ZIF connector

NeX wrote:

i have a small pile of pockets that are useless

NeX wrote:

you wouldn't like the idea of some kid doing brain surgery based on a tutorial on the internet?!

No, but I'd rather have him do it, then someone who didn't look at a tutorial big_smile

but eventually there will be no gameboys left. i know there are millions of them out there at the moment but i just don't like the human attitude that we should simply consume things and worry about running out later. as soon as the pocket backlight mod was published i noticed more and more gameboy pockets coming up on ebay with broken screens, people thought it would be as easy as doing a DMG.

This is why i wanted to design a direct replacement board that didn't need DMG or Pocket parts to work. it would be great to be able to produce lots of parts for the DMG without having to cannibalize old ones that way people could always put their DMGs back the way they were.

England
NeX wrote:

but eventually there will be no gameboys left. i know there are millions of them out there at the moment but i just don't like the human attitude that we should simply consume things and worry about running out later. as soon as the pocket backlight mod was published i noticed more and more gameboy pockets coming up on ebay with broken screens, people thought it would be as easy as doing a DMG.

This is why i wanted to design a direct replacement board that didn't need DMG or Pocket parts to work. it would be great to be able to produce lots of parts for the DMG without having to cannibalize old ones that way people could always put their DMGs back the way they were.

You could say that it's a case of humans consuming things willy-nilly, but also look at it as breathing new life into stuff so it gets used again. Nintendo made 120 million Game Boys, so I don't think there are enough potential chip musicians or retro gaming fans to cause any fear of shortage. I won't be concerned about us ever running out, and FWIW I'm a greenie who doesn't like to waste things ever.

And don't forget that manufacturing new parts has its own cost (I'm not talking money here).

Your work looks great! Nice one.

Last edited by InactiveX (Dec 1, 2012 9:55 am)

InactiveX wrote:
NeX wrote:

You could say that it's a case of humans consuming things willy-nilly, but also look at it as breathing new life into stuff so it gets used again. Nintendo made 120 million Game Boys, so I don't think there are enough potential chip musicians or retro gaming fans to cause any fear of shortage. I won't be concerned about us ever running out, and FWIW I'm a greenie who doesn't like to waste things ever.

And don't forget that manufacturing new parts has its own cost (I'm not talking money here).

Your work looks great! Nice one.

you make a fair point, and to be honest i am not really worried about gameboys becoming extinct, there are a lot of them and they are not so commonly dealt with these days, is just more the attitude that for the sake of slightly higher contrast, tearing apart a bunch of gameboys seems wasteful if it can be done with non original parts.

and you are right manufacturing has its costs too, but then that is a whole other subject, but i get your point.

thanks for the complement smile i want to get back into being an active member on the forums and put up all the mods i have been doing, just gotta find the time for it.

England

I hope you do!