Hey guys,
This is probably my first song actually finished and recorded from lsdj (have messed with it for probably 4 or so years now). Could someone give me their thoughts on it, maybe some stuff I can do to improve it (techniques, ideas, etc.)?

It's an old school techno song (think "The Pump Panel" or similar artists).

Thanks! big_smile

https://sites.google.com/site/lcphr3ak69/lift.mp3

As a video game track it sounds so fucking good! Reminds me of Hotline Miami... As a stand-alone track it's a bit too boring but cool nonetheless.

ilv1 wrote:

As a video game track it sounds so fucking good! Reminds me of Hotline Miami... As a stand-alone track it's a bit too boring but cool nonetheless.

Thank you smile

Given hardware limitations, I dunno if it could be used in a game since I've utilized all channels hmm

Do you have any suggestions one what would make it less boring?

Add some other patterns especially to that bass. Breakdown the song and slow it down somewhere in the middle... Leave the bass on the first note of the phrase only (or at least use it less) and play with the drums and build it up back. Stuff like that... Change the patterns to create different song parts. Could also change an instrument if you think you can find something that fits (but don't forget to change the pattern too... just the instrument isn't enough usually).

EDIT: Nevermind this next part... I heard an awesome transition somewhere around 1:24 in your track... Awesome job!

Keep in mind that it's a good idea to also create a transition between two different parts of the track. This might be as simple as just muting the drums on the last 2 phrases or just muting everything somewhere in the last phrase (after one of the snares) and then just jump into the new stuff.

Last edited by ilv1 (Dec 1, 2012 11:01 pm)

ilv1 wrote:

Add some other patterns especially to that bass. Breakdown the song and slow it down somewhere in the middle... Leave the bass on the first note of the phrase only (or at least use it less) and play with the drums and build it up back. Stuff like that... Change the patterns to create different song parts. Could also change an instrument if you think you can find something that fits (but don't forget to change the pattern too... just the instrument isn't enough usually).

EDIT: Nevermind this next part... I heard an awesome transition somewhere around 1:24 in your track... Awesome job!

Keep in mind that it's a good idea to also create a transition between two different parts of the track. This might be as simple as just muting the drums on the last 2 phrases or just muting everything somewhere in the last phrase (after one of the snares) and then just jump into the new stuff.

Yeah, I guess putting a higher octave bass note at the end to the track does take some of the dynamics out. I guess I could also switch up the instruments. I keep forgetting you can make multiple instruments and use different ones in the tracks (I think since I rarely finish songs I don't intuitively think of that stuff). And you're right, the patterns don't change up enough.

Thanks! smile