Canada

I wrote a few essays/articles on 8bit culture in 2nd year I think... read my paper at a conference or two.
If you're interested I'll send it your way.

Holland

What's is exactly the point of reading what others think chiptune is?

Nomad's Land

goto80's thesis can be found here if anybody is interested - http://lup.lub.lu.se/student-papers/rec … 662549.doc

not sure if there's a printed version available though.

Abandoned on Fire
irrlichtproject wrote:

goto80's thesis can be found here if anybody is interested - http://lup.lub.lu.se/student-papers/rec … 662549.doc

Nice, thanks!

Playboy Man-Baby
xylo wrote:

What's is exactly the point of reading what others think chiptune is?

That's not necessarily the topic. Often, people write about what it is just for them. A friend of mine wrote some blog post a while back about how chipmusic is a powerful way for him to express himself more than he used to, etc.

Abandoned on Fire
egr wrote:
irrlichtproject wrote:

Nice, thanks!

This is really excellent so far and the cinclusions he's hinting at ring very true.

@goto80 - are you ok with people linking to your paper from all the usual places like facebook tmblr etc?

Last edited by egr (Jan 14, 2013 9:17 pm)

CHIPTUNE

Aha! Thanks! Yeah, copy and destroy! I was so tired of it when I finished it (actually so tired so I missed the whole opposition/graduation thing, ehh) so never got around to distributing it properly. I still have some vague idea of re-writing it properly (not adapted to academia) and release it. Perhaps together with texts from others. But-uh...

From what I can remember, the best English book about chipstuff is little-scale's dissertation. Other than that it's papers and articles. If you really want to get your hands demoscene-dirty, you should check out the book by Daniel Botz.

@xylo The point of reading what other people say, is for example to get a better understanding and be able to explain what chippitoonz is to other people. Or, you know, to learn something new smile

EDIT any feedback on the thesis is welcome, btw. didn't get much from the uni people, lulz

Last edited by goto80 (Jan 14, 2013 11:59 pm)

CHIPTUNE
Jansaw wrote:

I wrote a few essays/articles on 8bit culture in 2nd year I think... read my paper at a conference or two.
If you're interested I'll send it your way.

I'm interested in reading this too. (info ATATATAT goto80 DOTODTODTODT com)

Holland
goto80 wrote:

Aha! Thanks! Yeah, copy and destroy! I was so tired of it when I finished it (actually so tired so I missed the whole opposition/graduation thing, ehh) so never got around to distributing it properly. I still have some vague idea of re-writing it properly (not adapted to academia) and release it. Perhaps together with texts from others. But-uh...

From what I can remember, the best English book about chipstuff is little-scale's dissertation. Other than that it's papers and articles. If you really want to get your hands demoscene-dirty, you should check out the book by Daniel Botz.

@xylo The point of reading what other people say, is for example to get a better understanding and be able to explain what chippitoonz is to other people. Or, you know, to learn something new smile

EDIT any feedback on the thesis is welcome, btw. didn't get much from the uni people, lulz

I just say you did an excellent thesis about the subject.

But honestly, most people don't really get it any way, especially if they're not that technical minded. Well, may be that's because I haven't read enough books on chiptunes and therefore can't explain it properly, we'll never know. ;-)

I just get hold back a bit to start reading books and articles about chiptunes. I have read so much of them only covering the LSDj part that it kind of holds me back reading other stuff.

CHIPTUNE

What is it that people don't get? smile I mean - what is this thing we're doing, anyway? It's really challenging to explain to an 'outsider' what this is. But if we can't, then ...  then ... then the future generations' understanding of chipmusic will be limited to Gameboys and hairspray!

clovis CA

i did my final on an arduinoboy. i wrote a 20 page essay on the whole who what where when how and why. most of it was answered, but the instructor was an it grad and didnt know what an arduino was and i spent half my paper wrapping their head around the arduino. i wound up buying him a bottle of midori to pass the physics portion of the class wink #derailed

Brazil

The thing about books is that journalists or those people who make public opinions into the mins of the public (what?) could read about someone who knows their shit and write better about it. When I wrote my book for graduation at the uni, I was writing about punk rock scene here in Brazil and we here had a collection of books which is called "What is....", like "what is punk", "What is linguistics", etc. Is a good way to introduce people on the subject.

Holland
goto80 wrote:

What is it that people don't get? smile I mean - what is this thing we're doing, anyway? It's really challenging to explain to an 'outsider' what this is. But if we can't, then ...  then ... then the future generations' understanding of chipmusic will be limited to Gameboys and hairspray!

Well, maybe it's just me getting technical too soon.

Holland

Isn't there a Chiptunes for Dummies book yet? big_smile

Abandoned on Fire

Is the Botz book availsble in english anywhere?

CHIPTUNE

Unfortunately not, no.
Mail him and complain smile