exactly what in the first post looked like whining to you? most of you guys are literally incapable of comprehension at this point, to say nothing of logical leaps.

UK

stop liking what I don't like

this thread

Washington DC

I already did that this year though.

uhajdafdfdfa

delete your bandcamp

uhajdafdfdfa

100% albmutory-free zone

zanzan 2013 dare not to worry about chipscene misinterpreting your artistic vision year
blitz lunar 2013 dare to stop reading incorrect intents into everything zan says based on your prejudices about him that came from reading his twitter account year

- throw your chipmusic.org out the window
- what if a zebra maneuvred itself in such a way that chipmusic.org stuffed itself into a bin
- throw your adobe flash player out the window

sad

UK

blitz lunar 2013

if you look over this thread, I am not the only person to supposedly "misinterpret" the intent (though I reckon I haven't, "hate everything" is a recurring theme!)

if one's concerned about not being understood properly, maybe make a better effort to articulate your points in a way that will be understood, rather than writing pseudo-cryptic nonsense all over the internet and then sulking when someone doesn't get it.

How about we skip a year whining about chipmusic instead?

btw this is the best post

Last edited by Blitz Lunar (Dec 22, 2012 1:32 pm)

Tokyo, Japan
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

exactly what in the first post looked like whining to you? most of you guys are literally incapable of comprehension at this point, to say nothing of logical leaps.

Ok, pick your own word but the general vibe I get from you is you think most chip music is at best disappointing. Which is fair enough but posting in a chipmusic forum saying most chip derived music this year was devoid of feeling and you want us to join you in not releasing music for a year, seems either deliberate trolling or a bit petty.  So rather than feeling bad about how most chipmusic doesn't make you happy, here are a few ideas for some constructive things you could do.

1 - There is a constructive criticism forum, why not pic 5 or 10 songs a week, break them down, give the musicans some ideas how they could improve the songs?

2 - Pick a couple of artists who are new to the scene but lacking in a bit of music theory background, offer to give them free lessons and share your knowledge?

3 - Contribute to the tutorials and how tos forum with some higher level techniques for famitracker or music theory?

4 - Share all your famitracker project files so other people can learn from them?

5 - Make some youtube tutorial videos for some chipmusic software you are good at and break down how you compose?

I assume you will have a bunch of a free time if you aren't composing for a year. Any of those ideas will help people get better, why not give them a try?

uhajdafdfdfa

i'll say words at you in irc instead of here

here i'll just say (to chipland in general) that you don't need to shoot down everyone with slightly idiosyncratic or even (dare i say it?) NEGATIVE opinions

a lot of people here complain about the "circle-jerk"ing in a vague way, but when people like (for example) 4mat or zanzan offer more specific criticisms, or personal opinions about areas of the scene that people are involved in,  people start to take offense

if you don't want to be a circle jerker, your options are:
- say nice things about the things you like, but temper it with saying HONEST things about the things you dislike (but if the honest things are just about newbies or people we all hate anyway, this is actually MORE circle jerky) and offering criticism where you feel you have something to say

- have no opinions. discuss GB transfer software and trade hardware only.

- have no opinions. share pictures of desktop backgrounds and gameboy in mouth only. (let's not make 2013 gameboy in mouth year)

p.s. every "stop liking what i don't like" can be countered with a "stop disliking what i like". it's all about where you interpret stuff as falling on the Personal Opinion -> Friendly Advice -> Direct Orders continuum. which is not easy to do over such a slow-motion and impersonal communication medium as a forum.

NC in the US of America

I assume you will have a bunch of a free time if you aren't composing for a year. Any of those ideas will help people get better, why not give them a try?

He actually said "Release", though. Which is actually a rather intriguing idea now that I think about it. I wonder if composing and releasing music has a different effect on one's musicality than merely composing and keeping it to yourself. If you're one who likes to mix and master and do your own artwork, etc, that can take away a lot from composing time.

I find it kind of endearing in a way, that Zan-Zan is throwing himself under the bus along with all the artists who made the music he felt was devoid of feeling.

Just to throw out an alternate point of view.

"The Year the Chiptune Well Ran Dry" would be a pretty dramatic turn of events.

Abandoned on Fire

For any individual artist, not releasing anything to the public for a year is no big deal.  One good thing a year is more than enough out of anyone.  Minusbaby recently observed that its been 3 years since his last one or something.  If the intended point of this thread is to emphasize that an artist doesnt have to constantly fart out new material to be valid then i wholeheartedly agree.  The way it is directed at the chipscene in general makes it to inflammatory to be taken seriously, however.

Farts.

Unsubscribe

Its kinda of like when Creative Writing majors stop writing stories and just focus on writing essays on Nietzsche. Imagine how many albums we'd have if you could re-harness the emotional hang-wringing of the average 8 page cmo.o thread.

Germany
HPizzle wrote:

i have no idea what un-albmutoric or gyronket even means.

Dare to not use the dictionary.

Last edited by otakumode (Dec 22, 2012 11:39 pm)

The Mountains

Why did I take the time to read any of this

I should be ashamed

Savannah, Georgia
Rainbowdragoneyes wrote:

Why did I take the time to read any of this

I should be ashamed

+1000

Brunswick, GA USA
SketchMan3 wrote:

He actually said "Release", though. Which is actually a rather intriguing idea now that I think about it. I wonder if composing and releasing music has a different effect on one's musicality than merely composing and keeping it to yourself. If you're one who likes to mix and master and do your own artwork, etc, that can take away a lot from composing time.

"The Year the Chiptune Well Ran Dry" would be a pretty dramatic turn of events.

This.

A few personal observations:

1) When music stopped being fun for me, it took a big introspection to remember why I found making music fun enough to do in the first place. I repeat this process constantly, and my "listening audience" has changed accordingly.

2) It's okay to stop sharing your work for a while but the caveat is an even more "in-bred" result because you did not allow outside influence out criticism into your work. In this regard, not releasing can be more of the problem than the solution.

3) I personally must release something with regularity or that aforementioned listening audience will have so much attrition that I can't keep track... In fact, I think it's already too late.

4) You can make music without making chipmusic for a while if you wish, this stuff will all still be here.

The "you" pronoun is hypothetical, not aimed at the op or anyone, because I think the OP's intention is to make us think.

Lexington, KY

I actually enjoyed much of the music released in 2012. Some more than near any chip music I've heard! Tell Roboctopus Victory Lapse lacked emotion. Tell K.O.M.H. that his house music wasn't raw. This list could be huge.
Or is the issue that these albums came into existence without support from the 'chipscene' and we want our props?