Devon UK

I used to have a nanoloop cart, and I'm sure the wav channel could play four note chords, with notes on the two pulse channels and noise as well. Did I imagine that?

If not, then that makes 7 channels - 6 for notes and one noise. Is it possible to get that many with LDSJ? I've seen the tutorial on the ghost channel, but as far as I could tell, the pitch was locked to the main note being played.

Pulse 1
Pulse 2
Wave
Noise

smile

I'm pretty sure any Gameboy program is restricted to these 4 channels ( hardware limitation )

Last edited by RJL (Jan 9, 2015 9:37 pm)

yeah you can only make chords with quick arpegios or using all three channels together

i have a vague recollection that some of the nanoloop carts had sound generation on the cartridge, which was only possible because they were custom designed carts, rather than roms

in any case i'm pretty sure that some versions of nanoloop could play two notes at once on the wav channel. i don't think lsdj can do that

prrobably better waiting for someone who knows what they are talking about

What about the ghost channel, do your research kids

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11649 … t-channel/

Abandoned on Fire

The wav channel chords are in the Game Boy Advance version of Nanoloop (2.XX) only.  Sandneil is correct that the synthesis is done by the cart hardware.  LSDJ is a program for Game Boy Color and original Game Boy.  Even when it's run on a Game Boy Advance it is still limited to the original hardware capabilities.

IL, US
RJL wrote:

Pulse 1
Pulse 2
Wave
Noise

smile

I'm pretty sure any Gameboy program is restricted to these 4 channels ( hardware limitation )

true of all dmg/gbc software, besides the nanoloop 1.5 with the 5th channel using the additional audio in that the hardware could support, but wasnt used much
gba software can support more, nanoloop 2.2 had 7 channels

IL, US
TetrisEffect wrote:

this isnt really an additional channel, just creative composition

yeah ive been eagerly waiting nanoloop 2 since i started a hardware collection a few months back. if you really want more than four channels either double up on DMGs and LSDJ carts or await nanoloop 2

"Nanoloop two is currently in production. If you wish to be informed when it is available again, please send an e-mail to [email protected] (for a single notification, no newsletter, so subscription) or follow nanoloop on twitter. "

IL, US

pretty sure current version of nanoloop 2 is 4 channels with chord capabilities on the s-channel

yes that is correct, the S channel has "4-voice polyphony and stereo phasing effect"

if you're like me though and you only really want loads more channels for chords rather than lots of layers then thats pretty cool

Last edited by JodyBigfoot (Jan 9, 2015 11:54 pm)

e.s.c. wrote:
TetrisEffect wrote:

Yes but it will still take you past the 4 channel limit in a way

in a limited way! but as with most aspects of LSDJ the limit is where the gold lies

Seattle, WA
TetrisEffect wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

Yes but it will still take you past the 4 channel limit in a way

And it was mentioned in the original post, so it's not all that helpful.

Just do what trey does and sample chords.

Last edited by Dire Hit (Jan 10, 2015 1:18 am)

Unsubscribe

how many chords could a wood chip chip if a wood chip could chip chords

Canada